Thoughts on this. Oxford shooting - PARENTS CHARGED

I have been a gun owner since 1985 and I have never staged any guns in any residence where I have lived. I have always kept it on me or within reach. All the other firearms are safely secured. I have no children here it’s just me and the wife. I may consider staging somewhere down the line but as for now I’m content with not doing so.

5 Likes

In reference to my situation, I work from home and I am at a desk all day long, so, instead of wearing it, it is readily available to me at my desk, in a holster. I do not leave it there if I am not going to be around, leave home, etc., - it is my EDC. I do keep firearms I am not “using” in a safe. I have no minor children, either.

3 Likes

This seems to be new uncharted territory. I am interested in seeing what happens. I heard today that they are thinking of charging the school board or administration for not taking action when warning signs were there.

3 Likes

Opinion by Andrew Pollak (daughter murdered in Parkland). I concur 100% and will add the same picture exists at the workplace. Questinable people + complacency + gun free zone = disaster!

5 Likes

Two problems: if Im wrongly accused- Im sueing.

There is no due process.

1 Like

I am okay if people stage firearms, just make sure you know if it is safe to do so in your household. Most people I have seen on this forum exercise Common Sense. When it is just me and my wife, staging is okay. With guests I exercise discretion. Carrying is not difficult, especially during the winter. If I am imbibing they get locked up (guns not guests.) Know your family, get them help if they need it, there is no shame in that. Although there seems to be issues in the crumbly family, we need more facts. Knowing how liberal Michigan is, it is not unreasonable to think that the DA may be overzealous.

2 Likes

I think that it is important to point out that you can “stage” a firearm in a secured container. You can put a handgun in a rapid access safe with a biometric or cipher lock, so it is in an accessible (and hidden) place, without minors in the house having access to it. Am I missing the point?

3 Likes

No, not if you have minors in the house. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

No one has mentioned the fact that they bought this gun for a 17 year old and legally he can not own a hand gun. They left it unsecured so he had access to it anytime he wanted to shoot it. They also were at the school that morning for a problem and refused to take him home. He was drawing picture of shooting someone and blood and bullets.
The school allowed him to stay even though they knew he needed to see a mental health professional.
Later that day evidently he sent a text message to his mom about what he wanted to do and she texted him back not to do it and failed to call the school or police to make them aware of his plan. Dad bought the gun and gave it to him and mom failed to tell any one about his plan so yes they are culpable for the charges.
I do disagree about how the DA did this as the sheriff should have been the one to charge them. He provides the information to the DA along with evidence and the charges.

3 Likes

As for the school I have the feeling they are also responsible here as they allowed him back in c lass knowing what his thoughts were and that should have resulted in him being suspended at least till he saw a professional in mental health.

3 Likes

Is it hearsay or fact that they bought the Sig for the 17 y/o? I have to ask since Kyle Rittenhouse was not treated favorably by the press and their were countless lies surrounding the defensive act. Presently I do not believe anything that the news has to say regardless of it being fox or cnn or any of the others.

3 Likes

In that case, I guess you have to wait for the trial, watch it yourself, and judge the evidence for yourself.

Where else would you get a definitive answer to your question? From the arresting officer? From the prosecutor? From defense counsel? From the neighbors? From “ask the internet”?

Any new or old media is going to rely upon one or more of those sources, do their own questionable investigation, or just make up an answer which suits their purpose.

4 Likes

Not trying to beat up on Harvey11 or anyone BTW. Think that you are correct in seeing the trial and hearing the verdict. The press, DA have moved way to quickly from a 17 y/o killed other children to his parents gave him a gun. Did the parents run? Yes, however anyone wrongfully accused or rightfully accused would have done the same if they felt the cards were stacked against them. Other cases, like Alec Baldwin are different. We know he was holding the gun, two people were shot. The 17 y/o had a gun, then shot people. What is troubling is Anti 2A people and Politicians have much to gain if the parents are convicted, so there is incentive/motive to prosecute the parents.

3 Likes

We still have to wait for the REAL facts and not the ones the biased prosecutor is throwing out there on the lame stream. I wouldn’t believe a leftist sheriff, or prosecutor if I was told it was raining and I was in a thunderstorm.

3 Likes

I would say that depends on who argues what — and in what way. It seems to me that pro-2A people have much to gain if irresponsible behavior is not defended by the gun community.

3 Likes

I agree.

What parent in their right mind, gives free and unsecured access to a firearm to a minor? Especially a minor who has already demonstrated behavioral issues and anti-social tendencies? I for one, as a responsible gun owner and law abiding citizen am supportive of the prosecutor bringing charges against the parents. They will all get their day in court and they are innocent until proven guilty.

We don’t need more asinine gun control laws, we need the ones on the books enforced and this is one of those times.

Stay safe out there.

2 Likes

Very true, however I may suggest I would trust an accusation of this sort much more if it were in Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma or Florida more. Although many in Michigan support the RTKBA their politicians rarely do. Remember, Michigan does have firearm registration. Note the school not following their own rules is escaping criminal negligence charges (not civil though.)

3 Likes

Parents-in-their-right-mind is not all that common if individual opinion matters. My version of “right mind” may well be different, but then; I’m a child of the 50’s. So, a great many parents today are not in their “right mind” to me.

Our nation seems to no longer consider independence and integrity as virtues, so it uses government as the nanny of the population which defecates rules for everyone to follow.

4 Likes

I’ve been crystal clear that I think this is going to end badly. The Prosecutor is making a point to talk about how egregious the parents behavior is due to them coming to the school because their son made some concerning statements and artwork. His parents came down for their conference and then returned to work and the School allowed the boy to go back to his classroom. Shortly after he began his twisted bs.

My problem with this scenario is this. The boys behavior was concerning enough to call both parents to the school, yet it wasn’t concerning enough to search his locker or his backpack (which btw was sitting in the conference.

One of the things I despise the most is selective enforcement. If it’s the law, enforce it equally and with full vigor and no regard for who/what you are. If the parents are criminally liable, then so is the school.

New York Times
In the trials of both parents, prosecutors focused in part on their failure to remove their son from school after he made a violent drawing on the morning of the shooting. It included a written plea for help

I guarantee in a few years, the laws they created to facilitate the charging of the parents is going to be abused

1 Like

Like any other case, it’s going to come down to: what did the parents know and when did they know it. Did they know the kid was a danger to himself or others when tey bought the gun? Did they know he took the gun to school? Hard case to make, unfortunately, the jury will be biased against them. Slippery slope indeed.

1 Like