Thoughts on a new first-time shotgun purchase for my son

Hey all, I’m going to Greensboro, NC, this weekend to shop for a shotgun with my 21 year old son. This is his first ever gun purchase. He wants to get a 12-gauge, which is a great choice in my opinion. He has his choices narrowed down to either a Remington 870 or one of the Mossberg 500 series. Which one of the two would you all recommend just out of curiosity? In my opinion, they’re both great choices for a reasonable amount of money.

4 Likes

I went with Mossberg ever since the 90’s.

3 Likes

This is strictly my opinion and I’m not nearly as familiar with mossberg as I am the 870. Saying that, I have seen literally thousands of rounds fired through Remington 870’s without problems. This having been an instructor on the fireing line for state prisons. On the other side of the coin my Brother had a mossberg 500 and he liked it with no problems that I know of.

6 Likes

My first choice would be the Remington 870 Wingmaster, second choice (very close to first) would be Mossberg, third Remington 870 Express. I’m assuming this is for hunting.

4 Likes

The Mossberg gets my vote. Unless you can find a nice, previously enjoyed Wingmaster 870.

5 Likes

Both are long running productions, have lots of aftermarket, and are good solid shotguns. My experience comes from running 10’s of thousands of rounds through each in 3gun competition.

Where do you like the safety?
Do you want an open or closed loading gate?
What is the cost of other barrels that you want, or may want - duties for the gun?

The 500 is slightly lighter in weight, so it does kick a little more. Both of them may have rough finished barrel chambers, and may benefit from a polish to aid in extraction.

6 Likes

Have not used either however I love my tristar cobra 2 with pistol grip…

Has a spring assist so you can pump back and release and it will automatically chamber a shell.

You can remove the spring easily for the normal pump action though.

3 Likes

I think you want to let him handle both guns and see which he likes better. The safety on the Mossberg is on top of the action (easy for left and right handers) and you push it “off” with your thumb. The Remington has the safety on the trigger guard. Same sort of situation with the shell release, on the Mossberg it is behind the trigger guard, and in front for the Rem. I own both guns (hunt with the 870 and home defense with a 590), you can’t go wrong with either one… just find out which he likes better for placement of the safety etc…

4 Likes

Do a little research as the newer Winchesters seem to have some issues. I went 20ga and with Mossberg. Good luck!

3 Likes

Both the Remington and the Mossberg are great shotguns and, in my opinion, pretty equal. When I was with the SO, i went with the Mossberg for duty.

5 Likes

As @MarkinMT states your decision should be about ergonomics of the platform because functionally they are both outstanding platforms. Safety location, pump release location etc. On the cleaning and reassembly side of the house Remington wins hands down, I HATE those two inside guide rail things as I can never keep them where they belong long enough to get everything back together. Once it’s together it works fine.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

I like the Newer Mossberg and the Older 870, I have both plus an Older Winchester Police riot Model 12 in Stainless Steel. I like the Winchester for its size and being SS.
Suggest going to a range and try them both if possible.

Good Luck

Larry

5 Likes

I’ll echo what’s already been said.
A gently used 870 Wingmaster is slicker than a Mossberg 500 which hands down beats the current 870 Express.
I’ve owned all three so I can’t speak of the Mossberg 590. Apparently Uncle Sam likes those :+1:

4 Likes

This video will give you some perspective and knowledgeable opinions. Take note, that there are several sub species of each shotgun.

4 Likes

Ditto on how you feel about the safety placement. I picked up a used 20G 870 and it has run fine, but in hindsight I would have preferred the mossberg safety placement.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think that will definitely be a part of the decision-making process in him actually getting to see how each one feels in his hands and how it fits his body build, as well as the placement of the controls. Great things to consider in the process. Thanks!!

3 Likes

Definitely good and important things to consider in the purchase decision and I feel pretty sure he will look at things like that when we get to the shops and get the opportunity to get the guns in hand and see how they feel and where the controls are at. I guess I should have clarified a little bit more and said that he wants to mainly do mostly duck hunting and the like with it, but also be able to have the good home defense option if the need arises. Thanks!!

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified that a little bit more. He wants to mainly use it for some duck hunting and the like, but he would like to have something that would make at least a decent home defense option too, should the need arise. Thanks!!

2 Likes

@Randall8 - Just my opinion, if you have a range open, rent one of each and
have him shoot them. Both are excellent shotguns, I carried a Remington for
a lot of years working corrections. Both Mossburg and Remington have a long
history of shooting excellence. Mike_T :boom:

2 Likes

The choice between a 870 and 500 or 590 is a bit like Ford or GM or Honda and Toyota. Both are good guns and both have good reputations. The 500 does feel lighter and the Tactical options for both are about the same. But a word of caution. If you decided that top folding stock with the extra shells look cool and very mocho just remember they are 12 gauges and taking that much weight off of one will be felt with the pull of every trigger. And there is no soft but plate on the top folder. So they are best shot like a Shockwave just point and shoot. Better to leave the stock the way it comes if you are planning on hunting. Don’t need to ask how I know.

4 Likes