The Psychological Effects of a Self-Defense Shooting | USCCA

A homeowner in Georgia shoots and mortally wounds three robbers who break into his home. A student living off-campus in Los Angeles shoots and wounds a man who enters her apartment through an unlocked screen door. Both incidents are ruled as justified shootings. Both people go back to life exactly as it was without a glance in the rearview mirror, right?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/the-second-fight-the-psychological-consequences-of-self-defense-shootings/
3 Likes

I must say that it is easy to talk, but the real event is hard on the mind. I know we must defend our family and property. I know that it’s us or them. Someone is going to get injured in killed, that is the outcome.

There needs to be guidance of some type or another because taking a life is hard to live with. My intention is not to be ready to injure or God forbid kill someone, instead, it is to protect my family and property. Protection comes at a cost and a very serious cost.

In the military the situation is similar. You are trained for your primary mission. No matter what your “job” is, talking a life is part of that “job”. Cooks, mechanics, medics, clerks, of whatever it is, taking life is part of it.

God Bless you all, be safe and be prepared.

3 Likes

Amidst the Covid-19 crisis, being single and sheltered in place, and without covered healthcare to afford a mental health professional. I find your “coping” suggestions lacking in practicality. If one is living alone and isolated there is little to do in really helping with PTSD. I wonder if there is a method of mentally preconditioning oneself in the event one has to defend ones life or the lives around them with deadly force. Is there?

2 Likes

Wil…we can only train and train and train. I’m not just talking about going to the range, but other training as well. For instance I’m educating myself and my son about situational awareness, which could mean that I see something and can remove myself from a setting so I don’t need to use my firearm. There are dozens of free videos on YouTube about this. We should never stop the educational process when it comes to firearms. Reading blogs (like this one) can help us to think ahead. Maybe to reflect on who you might be able to go to if you were ever put in a situation where you did injure or kill someone. When it comes to friends I choose quality over quantity every time. I doubt we can ever fully know how we would feel after shooting someone. But we can prepare. And I’m guessing that many communities have someone (for instance the counselors the cops use) who would be willing to just talk, even for an hour on the phone. There is help out there. We need to do our part to prepare for whatever situation may arise, as best we can. Utilize every resource available to us. And then let it go. Trust that in your time of need, you will have what you need. I don’t know if that helps. I hope so.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Jody…

If any are like me, you almost double question your own being.

1 Like

As someone that has been in a situation where I had to shoot at another human being I can say it is a feeling that no rational person wants to have to do. In the mid 60’s I was a correctional officer at a very large state prison. One night I drew the grounds entrance gate and went on duty at 4PM. At5 about 5PM the manufacturing superintendant arrived at the gate and I did not know who he was as I was on nights and had never been in contact with him. I was on the phone with my Captian and this guy was very impatient and started honking his horn. i stepped out and told him I would b e there in a minute. He got out and raised the manual gate himself and I told the Cap what was going on and he told me to stop the man. I yelled for him to stopp andx he kept driving and cap heard it and told me to shoot at him. I shot through the bck window and hi9t the rear views mirror and he came to a halt. Backup arrived and they got him out ofd the vehicle and put him in cuffs and he started this you don’t know who you are dealing with crap.
The Cap backed me up and I was cleared and it was justified as he in the wrong and even lost his job over it. The big thing to me is I still wake up with that memory sometimes and it was over 5o years ago and I think what is I had killed the man. You have to deal with something like this in your own way and sometimes you need help with it so go get it. The prison helped me deal with it then but you never fully get over it is all I am saying.

1 Like

An individual will speak with various law enforcement entities [copied from article].
I’m under the assumption less is more? I’ve read many self defense articles that the victim will give a complete statement to the police after… Under the law and fifth Amendment rights, is a victim involved in a clear self defense shooting [or anyone else], required to speak to the police at all? Nothing you say will be used for you if you are charged and go to court. The police work for the prosecutor, they look for and gather evidence against you, not for you.

1 Like

What a tough and under appreciated job you had, especially with what’s going on these days. My son just completed his training and is a correctional guard at an Arizona prison. Watching all the prison documentaries and things violent prisoners do, I sure worry for his health and safety.