The lights are out

Detroit,see posted link,video of shootout was released by police,not in this story however,google name,died in his car,the car jacket pushed him out,and stole his car ,from his driveway,wife and kids inside his house

1 Like

Michigan Father with (CPL) Is Killed in Carjacking - Self-Defense & Home Defense - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

1 Like

When I owned a Glock, I could take it apart and put it together with my eyes closed. Since I carry 1911’s, not so much. Hard to line up the barrel link without looking at it.

Interesting thought process, but I would grab another gun instead of trying to fix one in the dark. If I was out of gun, I would grab a blade or sharp something… I have a few things other than guns around.

1 Like

Nope. Lots of downside to breaking down in the dark. Safety. I always visually verify the weapon is clear. Time. A jam infers the trigger was pulled. If a condition 1 carry, the gun went “bang” but didn’t feed round #2 into the chamber. So the Bad Guy downstairs knows you’re up there. Dropped parts. So the recoil spring or takedown pin fall to the floor. Now you’re groveling in the dark to find them or your stash of spare parts. In the dark.

I can, and have, broken my weapon down and reassembled with my eyes shut … after I have verified the weapon is clear. But I see zero benefit of doing so in the dark after SHTF. I prefer a plan B. Whether that’s gun #2, pepper spray, or a Louisville slugger, all 3 options are better than maintenance in the dark.

6 Likes

Dr. Richard,
you probably have less than 30 seconds. I don’t care how good you are-- you darn well had better hope your affairs are in order–at least for me~!!! Adrenaline dump + fine motor skills needed + darkness = poor outcomes
I see no reason as a civilian to ever have to do this in the dark. Can I? Yeah. Will I? Nope. Taking down a 1911 for me still comes with a risk of launching a part across the room–during the day wihtout stress :slight_smile:

If it’s me, I set down the offending weapon and reach for one of the other two. All three are conveniently locked under the bed in a quick access safe. All three have night sights, and flashlights handy. I’m also handing the key to the closet safe to my wife to quietly get the shotguns/ARs ready as she calls 911, as per the plan we’ve discussed.

Better have a plan B!!!

5 Likes

I find your question silly. No one should be fumbling around in the dark readjusting springs or cleaning carbon build up. I might as well practice the airborne tuck and roll daily even though I have no intention or desire to jump again…ever…

Personally I have between 3-4 pistols at my bed side at any given night anyways so again…find a realistic solution, not a fanciful one.

3 Likes

The honest answer is no I can’t, but that’s because the gun by my bed is maintained pretty well. My backup is less time away than any time needed for maintenance. I’m behind a steel cored door In my bedroom. I will have time to retrieve something else.

2 Likes

“One is none two is one”… I have heard that before especially from a real good friend of mine but where does that come from? It’s true and accurate and I love it.

5 Likes

The only low light or no light training that I have done is shooting my firearm in very low-light. I do this now and then because I work grave shift driving around the city and some pretty shady neighborhoods. And so I need to be able to use my firearm in low light or even near complete darkness. I can change the magazine but I never figured breaking down my handgun. I do have two of them so I guess if something happened to one I would just switch over to the other as quickly as possible.

3 Likes

And that is where the “one is none and two is one” comes from. As you stated, if you have one and can’t get it immediately back in action, the bug (back-up gun) is then available. Trying to break-down, fix/clean, then re-assemble a firearm while in a situation where seconds count isn’t a viable solution.

Glad to read you are taking the needed precautions and training needed to address real-life situations.

2 Likes

“Dark blind disassembly”? You described a situation that’s probably not a high percentage of firearm home protectors even think of. That is a very rare and highly unlikely circumstance. You described scenarios that are slim to none chances.

“if on some weapons the spring isn’t put on the guide rod properly”

Really? This is a result of poor knowledge of the individuals own firearm. A conscientious firearm owner would take the time to learn the weapon,field strip it,clean,lube and reassemble and gain the confidence that it is assembled properly to work when needed.

“the second has ammo but a plastic guide rod that has issues”
If the firearm owner has the confidence and knowledge of their firearm,they wouldnt allow to have such faulty equipment.

“Your only choice is to breakdown your weapon( readjust a spring,clean some carbon quickly”
Again…knowledge of ones own firearm. How many people do you think actually go to range,shoot,and just pack the gun away in their nightstand? Carbon build up and clean quickly?
Do you honestly think most people will take the time(knowing someone is in their home,in the drk),to field strip a firearm,bust out some q-tips to clean some carbon,reassemble and ready to fire? All before an intruder hears all that noise?
IMO…not too many firearm owners that own to protect their homes,think of such radical “tactical” scenarios.
I range train once a month. Grip. Stance. Draw from holster. Quick reloads. I dont ask them to turn the lights off and do all this. I dont do “tactical paintball” excursions as most pry dont either.
I would say your scenarios are very highly unlikely at best.
To each their own,for sure.

1 Like

Always a plan B in my home and with my family. Window ladders where needed. Interior door jams where needed. No firearms locked in anyway. My boys are trained at local range with all my firearms,which are all staged for easy access to me. All loaded and chambered.
Home security/surveillance off the highest level at every entry point. Window alarms and one mean Pressa Canario, large,fast f*ckn dog.

2 Likes

OK, I confess… I’ve always wanted to install a hidden escape firepole, a la Adam West.
I still can’t talk Home6 into it.

3 Likes

:rofl:

@Sheena , what a perfect saying!

@Sheena That come’s from the Prepper community of which I am one of millions. It is part of the Prepper mantra. :+1:

1 Like

For me. My pistol is to get me to a better gun for HD. So, yes I go for a better gun over trying to repair a malfunction as it is a matter of seconds if I’m in my bedroom. If I’m out and about it’s knives until I get to my car.

2 Likes

Fun idea. Fire houses discontinued firepower due to injuries tho…:flushed:🤦:rofl: