The Aftermath: Domestic Turned Deadly

I partially agree. When seconds count, law enforcement is only minutes away. In this case, it seems they responded quicker than normal. Average police response time, according to a very recent article I read, is 22 minutes across the country up from 13 minutes only a couple of years ago. Couple of reasons: one, most departments are grossly understaffed. Not hard to understand given all the adverse publicity cops are given. Yeah, yeah, yah, I agree that a lot of the adverse publicity is deserved. We always seem to be our worst enemy not matter what job we do. Secondly, with all the cops being prosecuted, defamed, budgets cut, hung out to dry b.s., in my view, only a psychopath would be willing to become a police officer. Has anyone read about the deficit in recruiting in the armed services? Only the Marine Corps is close to meeting its recruiting goals. The army is 33,000 privates short this year. The navy has now removed any educational deficits for its new recruits. Didn’t graduate high school? No problem. Did really poorly on the aptitude test? No problem. Welcome to the new navy. And folks wonder why ships run aground or run into merchant ships and fishing boats. Driving a ship is a tiad more difficult than “Shoot everybody you see who isn’t wearing our uniform.” Not to make light of what 0311s or 11Bs do. They are the very pointy tip of the spear and deserve more credit than they generally get.

Based on what is posted it sounds like a supported decision to shoot by the stepfather, based on the abuser’s words “I’m going to kill everyone” as he ran into the house to supposedly retrieve a gun. Once he [Abuser] exit the house it’s fair game and shooting was the only option the way I read it.

1 Like

The young man had already assaulted the older man and overwhelmed him. I believe that with the verbal threat, returning to the home to “kill everyone” and the fact that the man had already be assaulted, that I too would have shot him to end the deadly threat! DW in NC

1 Like

I am probably wrong about my decision on this however I would have done exactly as the father did. In my opinion, putting myself in that situation I don’t know that the timing of calling the PD would have made any difference to the perpetrator.
Along with that, the town has a population of 40,000 and the PD has a total of 80 employees, and that includes all admin personell etc. covering a rural area of 7.5 sq. miles. What would the PD response team be??
The only firearms I ever trained in until, was my 2, 4yr. enlistments in the USAF. I have trained in Martial Arts and reached a level of 2nd Degree Black
which I can thankfully say I have never had to use

Right or Wrong that is how I would have acted

If the DA had brought charges against shooter, and if the shooter possessed USCCA insurance, would USCCA pay his legal defense?

The stepfather atempted to get the family out of harms way and the young man wasn’t having it. With other family in the home i agree the step father did what had to be done to protect other family members

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @David961

Hello and welcome @Norman55

Hello and welcome @Wayne115

It was hunter warrior and protector not what ever. If you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all.

He was not demeaning you, his comment was in reference our “justice” system that punishes us for self-defense.

1 Like

Norm, you left out what type of firearm you had AF training with. I am hoping it was the 9mm. As for your 2nd degree black belt, most folks associated with the self-defense business admit that martial arts training is good for developing physical capability if one continues training but sucks big time when faced with an experienced street fighter. You have to train to fight with no rules. Like the line in Butch Cassidy, “Rules? Butch there are no rules in a gunfight to the death,” as Cassidy kicks Harve between the legs, draws his revolver and kills Harve. Butch also told Sundance to kill Harve if Harve managed to kill Butch. In a karate match no kicking to the testicles. No eye gouging, no ear or nose biting, no using foreign objects to inflict painful injuries. Any of those street fighting techniques will get you DQd and you lose the match. No side judges, no referee. Just damage your opponent as badly and as quickly as you can. It doesn’t matter that your strike was the ugliest strike ever seen. Did it break your opponent’s nose? Did it cause his eyeball to pop out on his cheek? If it did, then you score a point. The most accurately executed strike that didn’t do crippling damage to your opponent gets no points in street fighting, It probably also left you open to getting smacked in the face with a “smiley.” Look it up if you don’t know what a smiley is.

2 Likes

When I was in the USAF only the Air Police and armorers got any firearms training. Maybe air crews. They marched us out to the range in basic, handed us a worn out M1 carbine and pointed at a target. I had lots of time as my carbine jammed every shot. After that they would issue an M1 carbine when there was an alert but thankfully no ammo. Most thought it was funny to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger. I joined the squadron pistol team to get some lessons. That was bullseye shooting with 22 lr pistols. That got me issued a 1911 with ammo on payday as a guard as they still paid in cash. Ended after they stopped paying in cash. Then on a remote site I got gate guard duty on alerts. 1911 and 2 loaded magazines. So much for training. I hope it has changed. I did get some unapproved training on that site. I was friends with the supply sgt who was an armorer. We would go out in the desert and shoot 1911’s.