Tactical Tuesday: Natural point of aim

How can you minimize your time and effort to get on target during a self-defense incident? Try this drill to improve your natural point of aim:

What else do you do to improve your natural point of aim?

9 Likes

This is a good drill. I’ve never known about it up to now. I tried and practiced it and it did work, I’ll use it as part of my instructional.

But, I’m trying to think how this will help in a DCI? I can see that with repetition you may naturally take this exact footing as part of your stance. But, without that repetition could it slow you down as one more thing to try and think about?

5 Likes

Awesome drill.
I did similar thing, pressing out with closed eyes and checking if my sights are on the target. I was doing this till I found it correct. But to be honest I never corrected my stance. This drill definitely made whole thing easier !

3 Likes

I definitely like it. The more you practice the easier it gets to bring that pistol back on target. The key is the repetition of the drill. Changing the position of your feet allows your point of aim to readjust if your either a little high or low of the target. It’s a good technique as mentioned in the above posts to teach your students as an instructor. It can also improve your accuracy. As your dry firing it improves your trigger pull also.

3 Likes

I imagine in the heat of a scary moment, it can be difficult focusing on center mass, especially if faced with more than one threat. Hope I never have to, of course.

The range I visited had targets with these tips posted on the bottom. Seemed to make for a more enjoyable range experience. Do you all agree with their aiming tips?:

Righty…

!

Lefty…

1 Like

I think working on automatic sight alignment is very important. I have seen a number of different drills to work on this. I do question tying that sight alignment to a perfect stance. In a self defense situation you are very unlikely to be in a perfect stance. Ideally you will be moving or behind cover to keep from being an easy target. This drill might be a good starting point though to begin that muscle memory sight alignment connection.

4 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

NPA is exceedingly important to lay the foundation for your shooting “platform”. Building muscle memory is important but if the foundation (your feet) are off all your practice is for naught. I would put this in the “Beginning Intermediate” area of training. Lets face it a new shooter needs to be focused from the wrists forward until such time as the whole grip, trigger finger and sight alignment thing is fairly well worked out. You usually see the effects of a bad NPA after the shooter has been on the range for a bit. The shots seem to wander off in one direction or the other as the body becomes tired.

The nice thing about this drill is that you can practice in your house dynamically as you dry fire. Let say you get into your stance and check your NPA, shuffle your feet and get it solid. You dry fire for a while and all is Scooby with the gang. Now walk into another room and find a random aiming spot as you walk in, close your eyes and go into your stance from a walk. Draw, then open your eyes and check your NPA. Is it on or off? You can just continue to do this by wandering around the house drawing on points of aim randomly while attempting to hit your NPA stance from walking. You will be amazed at how quickly it will come together with a few repetitions.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like