Steel Case Ammo at Indoor Ranges... The truth?

The good thing is my pistol is a 92FS and parts are easy to get. And youtube(which is a gun owners best friend) shows how to replace an extractor.

3 Likes

Worked at an indoor range and was required to check all shooters ammo with magnet. Steel was no go. Never asked! Law of the land. It was posted.

2 Likes

The closest range to me is about 25 minutes away. The last time I shot there was a couple months ago. There was a sign on the target ammo shelf that they would not allow steel case ammunition on the range. I had never seen this sign before (maybe it was covered by the boxes of ammo before). Of course, all the boxes left on the target ammo shelf were steel cased.

Over the last year, they’ve also started checking ammo you bring in (and firearms) before they let you on the range.

3 Likes

Steel cased not allowed at my local indoor range, however aluminum cased is allowed.
I can police my brass behind the firing line.
Steel cases have caused fires there ( yes, I saw the fire truck!)
Unburned powder collects in the expansion joints of the flooring and a steel case can get hot enough to cause ignition.
Not common, but not a myth either.

4 Likes

TIL that some steel case ammo causes fires!

I have two indoor ranges near me I frequent. Neither one will allow steel core ammo, they will check with a magnet and the knowledgeable ones know by the box label what it is (M855 for example). I’ve only ever seen them check rifle rounds though.

One of them disallows steel cased ammo. Not sure why, but I guess like others that it is because they re-sell the brass casings. They seem to be OK with nickel and aluminum cases though.

3 Likes

My range won’t allow steel core ammo such as m855 556. The only reason I can think of is your range has a partnership with a brass recycler that may charge extra to use a magnet. :grimacing:

Steel cases ammo will not damage your gun. However it’s reported to reduce barrel life by a few thousand rounds if used extensively. Results may vary but brass ammo over time may cost more than a barrel length replacement

4 Likes

I shoot steel case ammo alot. The only ranges that did not let me shoot steel case ammo is the ranges that reload their own ammo because they don’t want to separate the steel and brass. I guess the ranges docent like to use a magnet, to much extra work.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that indoor ranges had that policy. The last time I used an indoor range, it was a new one that was in a high dollar area in NE San Antonio. It was like amateur hour. Kids that looked like they were doing a part time job were walking each person/group to their station & stood directly behind you telling you what to do or not do. It was irritating to say the least. The place was PACKED!! Thank God for Lonestar Handgun. Run by ex Army Rangers & truely a top tier tactical range.

4 Likes

While the specific complaints are valid about steel cases diluting the brass and steel cores not being good for traps/plates, there’s a far simpler reason (that many ranges don’t even know they’re doing for it) that comes down to customer service psychology: don’t argue with the customer. If there’s a debate, there’s a chance they’ll win and they’ll be more upset they don’t win than just about having the rule.

Rather than arguing with the customer whether it’s the case, jacket, or core, that’s magnetic and why each might be a problem, they just set a global rule that any magnetic attraction is a no-go.

2 Likes

@Russell27 - First, welcome to the community. We’re glad you’re here.

My thoughts are similar to yours. That is, if I am patronizing a gun range, I am subject to their rules. It doesn’t matter why they have the rules they do. I have to abide by the rules. It’s pretty simple.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are blessed to be here .

don’t go there and if you have no choice pick up your brass so they don’t sell it , this is just a financial rule for them

2 Likes

I asked the same question to the RSO last time I shot. He said the same thing, the brass-buyer complains if there are steel casings in the mix. Seems to me like a SUPER easy fix. Maybe slide the casings down a plywood ramp with a couple strong magnets mounted on it… under it, on the sides, in the middle or however.

1 Like

Easy money produces huge problems… People are just lazy… :triumph:

I’m surprised they don’t complain about alu casings…

2 Likes

Notwithstanding the “ammo shortage” you might want to give this ammo a wide berth. In a cost savings move, our security company opted for the cheaper Wolf, Russian made, ammo. When the first round was fired, a flame front the length of a King Edward cigar eschewed forth?! Needless to say, that was the beginning (and end) of that ammo. You would definitely want to clean that piece when you get home. Caveat Emptor

I’d like to hear about your experience.
Ross8

1 Like

I was at the range last Monday and the over priced ammo they sold me was steel cased ammo.

My local range doesn’t ban aluminum cases, which makes me question the brass recycling scenario—you can pull steel cases out with a magnet, not so with aluminum.
That a fire had been attributed to steel cases at my local range, I suspect the ban is due to fire insurance concerns
Just sayin’

2 Likes

I’ve never thought about reasons of steel ban. One of my ranges says no steel casing, the other strictly says:
“no steel ammo,
no steel casing,
no steel at all”

I have no knowledge about reloading, what can be reload, what cannot… I just know to shoot brass or alu…whatever is less expensive.

1 Like

welcome to the community, from Michigan

1 Like

I just did a lot of research regarding steel case. You can go to youtube or bing and find the same info from experts… as long as the cartridge follows SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute) standards there will be no problem. The worst thing is your firearm will be dirtier.

1 Like