States where you MUST Notify an officer

Must-Notify States

• Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • California — Although there is no state law, some counties are including a must-notify restriction on permits.
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Hawaii
  • Louisiana
  • Maine — If carrying without a permit. However, not if you are carrying with a permit.
  • Michigan
  • Nebraska
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota — If a North Dakota resident constitutionally carrying without a permit. However, not if you are carrying with a permit.
  • Ohio
  • South Carolina
  • TennesseeNot currently required. However, the law will change as of January 1, 2020, after which you will have to notify.
  • Texas

Notify-When-Asked States

• Arizona
  • Florida
  • Illinois
  • Kentucky
  • Missouri
  • New York
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
    (lists as of 11/18/19)

How do you notify the officer that you’re carrying?

You can find some tips in this blog article: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/in-which-states-must-you-notify-an-officer-youre-carrying/

Double-check the latest laws here: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

2 Likes

I show them my carry license, and say “yes officer, I have ONE in the vehicle.” I don’t say weapon or gun. Even in Illinois, I just volunteer the info. I don’t want any miscommunication with an officer that may or may not be inexperienced with how to handle this, in the current social climate.

5 Likes

I keep my hands on the wheel and IMMEDIATELY say, “Officer I’m armed.” I have always received a polite response and specific instructions on what to do next.

2 Likes

I remove my driver’s and carry licenses from my wallet, then the registration and insurance card from the slot above my head and place them on the dashboard. I roll down my window and place my hands at the top of the steering wheel. I give the officer all four at once. When asked, I reply politely and use “sir” &/or “ma’am” a lot.

3 Likes

Hands on the wheel, dome light on.

“Officer, I have a concealed carry permit and I am [ carrying / transporting ] a firearm at this time. It is located [ on my right hip / in a locked case on the passenger seat / in the floor holster beside my right knee ]. How would you like me to proceed?”

So far, I haven’t needed to test that out, so I don’t have anything to share about how it works.

5 Likes

Dome light on…good practice. I’ll add that to my routine. Not that I get pulled over often.:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

4 Likes

Dome light on, keys on dash, hands on steering wheel basic starter…

It’s not easy for me to reach my wallet while sitting, usually requires a maneuver with the seatbelt off and my carry is virtually inline with my wallet, I leave it be and inform the officer I have a permit to carry and my carry is near my wallet. Most times, the officer allows me to step out of my vehicle and clearly get my wallet in full of view for the officer. Only once has the officer said I do not need to show him my license…

I rarely ever get stopped, if I do, it’s usually for the random light out, last time I was stopped was due to me accidentally flashing the officer in broad daylight several hundred yards away with a newly installed light bar.

Handy list since I will be road tripping December.

1 Like

All windows down, interior lights on at night, hand in wheel and advise officer I’m retired Leo and am armed. Then I do as directed.

2 Likes