Smith & Wesson 442

Revolvers have become quite the obsession for me, I simply can’t get enough of them. I love to drool over them online and at my lgs. There’s few things prettier than a blued revolver with nice wooden grips. There’s nothing cooler than shooting a single action similar to the ones from the days of the Wild West. To think I’m shooting a similar style revolver in the same caliber the outlaws and the good guys used is pretty friggin neat.

I decided I’d like to start carrying a revolver for the times I don’t feel like carrying my semi auto edc. I got to looking and researching and I decided on a J frame S&W. Now my first experience with a J frame a year or so ago was “man, this thing sucks”. I found it hard to shoot and not comfortable at all. I believe it was a 642. My opinion was based on ignorance and lack of skill at the time. Back then I haven’t shot a revolver in over 15 years and even then I had no real training and didn’t know what I was doing. Fast forward to present day I have a few in person USCCA classes under my belt and with my new found love for revolvers I have several thousand rounds of shooting them all the while trying to improve my technique. Nonetheless I still had reservations about getting the 442 because I thought it would be every bit as horrible shooting it as the first time was.
Much to my delight I was wrong and I knew it from the second I emptied all five rounds into my target. I shot from 5’ to 55’ and was hitting center mass 95% of the time or higher shooting slow, shooting fast, one handed strong side, one handed weak. I even had a blast knocking over steel plates at 7 yards.

I’m well aware of the limitations of the 442 but it has a place with me for those times I deem appropriate. Definitely a cool piece but ya have to really want to learn how to shoot it properly but hey ya really have to put the time in on the subcompact autos to shoot them well too.

8 Likes

Recently purchased the 638 for some of the same reasons. Sometimes you only feel like carrying 17.5 ounces. Love the shrouded/hammerless capabilities in confined spaces. It really never has to leave your pocket.

4 Likes

I have had revolvers before. They still have a place in an arsenal. As a matter of fact I’m thinking about purchasing a Smith&Wesson revolver to add to my collection. Maybe even a Performance Center model.

5 Likes

My first carry gun was a 642, the non-blacked brother to the 442. I selected it for several reasons:

1. DAO, so the high weight trigger pull would make sure I did not unintentionally fire it if startled while presenting it (I did not learn about proper trigger discipline until years later).
  2. Covered hamper so no hammer snag danger during draw from pocket.
  3. Light color metal frame so a bad guy would be more likely to see it when presented, in hopes that would deter him and eliminate the need to shoot.
  4. Small and light enough to pocket carry easily.

I eventually paired it with a Robert Mika pocket holster, arguably the best pocket holster available.

Over time I learned some lessons.

1. That light-to-carry AirWeight gun also meant LOTS of recoil energy. Hard on the hands, so less incentive to practice a lot, and also harder to stay accurate.
  2. The snub nose 1 7/8" barrel also made it hard to be accurate beyond a couple of yards.
  3. Pocket carry is great for docile carry, but not for rapid draw; it is primarily useful for surreptitious draw.
  4. The old line about 3 shots at 3 yards as “enough” is a misnomer in today’s self defense situations If you can carry more than 5 or 8 rounds (can we say 1911?) you should. Reference any conference talk or class by John Correia.

Still, I love revolvers, and continue to practice with that 642. On rare occasions I may still carry it.

5 Likes

Funny how our tastes change and are so different from one another! I’ve shot a few and inherited one, but have no desire to ever shoot one again!

3 Likes

Oh, mine will get shot on a regular basis. It’s fun and now that I’ll be carrying it from time to time it’s necessary. I put almost 200 rounds through her on Sunday.

2 Likes

I’m not poo-pooing anyone’s choices, and I have many revolvers that I like, but the more I shoot competitively the less time I spend shooting revolvers.

3 Likes

I get that totally. I enjoy the entire process of shooting revolvers. I still practice my butt off with semi autos as well.

2 Likes

That looks really similar to my Ruger LCR.

I occasionally carry it but it’s main purpose is for R to carry in her purse.
She can un-holster and apply with out pulling it out of her purse giving her an added sense of stealth protection. It’s certainly not the most comfortable to shoot but she does practice with it.

6 Likes

That is the one advantage I see with a snub nosed revolver. Being able to fire multiple times from concealment from a jacket pocket. But I’ll stick with my LCP Max for pocket carry. Smaller, lighter, easier to shoot, over twice as many rounds plus much faster reloads on the astronomically lower chance you would ever need to. I can imagine more than a few situations where 5 rounds just won’t cut it.

4 Likes

Prior to getting my CCW permit, I practiced conceal carry at home with a Ruger LCRx .38sp in a pocket holster. It was a confidence-builder. However, I ended up carrying semiautos so I could have max 31 rounds (10+1, 2 10-round mags) instead of 10.

3 Likes

Practice is the key. If you have the hand strength, and will practice, a 642/442, or any snub nose .38 for that matter, will serve you well. But, it definitely is not a beginners gun.

4 Likes

Definitely not a gun I’d suggest for a beginner. You’re just setting them up to be frustrated.

5 Likes

My concern was fouling, a slide, expelling an empty etc. inside of a crowded purse. The hammerless revolver kind of takes care of all of that, not as likely to bind up when fired from inside of a purse.

3 Likes

Revolver is by far the best way to go for firing from inside a purse or pocket. The odds are way too high for a semi to become a single shot jammed pistol under those circumstances.

I’m not against revolvers. My first firearm was a .357 revolver and my someday list has a 3” 6 shot revolver on it. Though with no really good justifiable reason other than I want one:)

5 Likes

That is the PERFECT reason to acquire a firearm!
And you can cite me to your spouse as a trusted adviser on this.

5 Likes

“R, Craig said I’m justified in going and picking up that Mossberg 500 we looked at…”
OK I’ll give it a try…

3 Likes

I think @Craig_AR is going to be getting a bunch of angry PMs from some spouses shortly;)

1 Like

Yeah, angry PMS is always a problem

5 Likes

@Reacher >> Hi, not wastIng time. I am old school DASA DIDNT READ ALL This STUFF.
ITS ALL IN YOUR MIND, MINE IS BASESD ON FACT NOT BOO ZIGHT.
IM SILL HERE BECAUSE OF 442 it is my first choice but not my only choice.
PS: just got another EDC, it’s a DASA auto loader with new grips, holster and belt.

3 Likes