Sketchy situation looking for carry suggestions

My wife teaches fitness at a city rec center & we used to Wk out there 3-4 nites a week until the Covid closed it dn. We both carried glocks 43 & 27 in a Velcro waist band designed to carry a concealed Pistol along with a cell phone or wallet, plus it had a clip on for an extra mag. It worked great and didn’t get to terribly sweaty. No one could see it bc we wore a baggy shirt or tank. I don’t leave the house without my EDC period. I carry everyday everywhere all the time with a glock 27 -40 cal In a Galco kingTuk for concealed or a mission tactical for open carry both are excellent & so is my comfort tac belly band for athletics we now have a gym in our home :smile:

2 Likes

Ankle holsters are handy. Wear sweat pants.

2 Likes

I suggest you use an elastic belly band holster with a 38 special snubby revolver. This set up can be worn under any type of gym attire and be completely concealed. The elastic in the belly band will keep the gun tight against your body and the revolver will sit lower in the holster than an auto pistol. Only the grip of the revolver will stick up above your waist band. Also a 5 round speed strip and your carry permit can be inserted in the spare mag slot.
Another neat trick is to buy some of the old style sandwich bags that have the flaps that need to be folded to close. Insert the revolver into the sandwich bag with the long side positioned to be against the body. Fold the bag around the revolver to the outside. Insert the revolver into the belly band holster. The grip will still be exposed while the bag is between your body and the revolver.
I have used this method of carry when exercising and working outside for years. It works great and I do not sweat all over my gun.

3 Likes

Yeah, sweat can be an issue. I use a fitted leather OWB, with a mag pouch on the other side. I wear a tee shirt tucked in - keeps the holster, the gun’s grip and the edge of the spare magazine from galling me, then a large (like really damn large. I wear a 52’’ belt and this shirt fits me and a couple of close friends) button-down over top of it all, with only the bottom button or so done up. With the sleeves rolled up over the elbow it works pretty well. A tad warm, but worth it.

2 Likes

Glad they didn’t take the opportunity to grab the door once you opened it. Would you have opened your door to two strangers at night at home? Situational awareness can keep you safe. Coach Tony Blauer’s SPEAR system preaches the 3 D’s. Detect and Avoid, Defuse and Deescalate, and finally Defend (includes defensive gun use). If the first D is successful, you don’t have to get to the last one. Stay safe and don’t open that door!

3 Likes

Carry your gun in your gym bag!!! Or a waist bag. Either way you have it with you.

2 Likes

Collin noire actually posted a picture of his gym bag at a hotel a few weeks ago. He had a compact size gun In cruiser ready condition in a gym bag he carried with him around the gym. I personally wouldn’t do that. I like on the body carry.

Belly bands work. Fanny pack might be a good option. I prefer larger calibers, but a 380 is better than the 9mm in your car. I’ve heard great things about the Rugar LCR and it’s affordable. Personally I would go for a revolver for pocket carry. I say that, but when it’s time to flip the bill I’d probably walk away with a rugar :rofl:.

3 Likes

Try a SW 642- its a good Cary revolver- chęci out on you tube. Morty

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

2 Likes

A revolver is always an excellent choice, and usually exceptionally realiable.

As far as .380, a Taurus 738 (if you can find one) or a Taurus Spectrum, both weigh less than 12 oz and would be easy and light enough to conceal even in a gym, including with a belly band.

not a fan of off body, or even a fanny pack.

2 Likes

How about a CCW fanny pack? They come in handy for keys, phone, wallet, etc. It might not work with a weightlifting belt, though.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @Morty!

3 Likes

Did you have a duty to answer that door? I might consider a home gym.

2 Likes

I live in an apartment. I was the only person there and while I don’t work there I wanted to know what they wanted.

1 Like

Update to everyone, @Dawn I’m not sure how to make it so everyone can see this who has responded.

As noted in the op I said I called the gym owner who called me back eventually. They checked the cams and she said she recognised the guys who came by and that they know better. They are members and she says she talked to them and it shouldn’t happen again. Not sure if that actually happened but I’ll take her word for it. She also thanked me for watching out for the wellfare of myself and the gym.

I have a glock 26 that I’ll be carrying in my gym bag. It will be in a secure holster and the bag will not leave my side. I’m not a fan of off body carry, nor a gun rolling around a gym bag even if it’s holstered but it’s my only option. I can’t afford a new firearm even a cheap 380 right now so the 26 will have to do instead of the mp 2.0. I will still have my POM O.C. spray on me and so does my wife.

Thank you all for all of your suggestions and constructive criticism. I think in the future I’ll talk through the glass

4 Likes

For you bag, you can get a stiff panel with velcro. Like this one from Crossbreed, but I’m pretty sure if you google around there are other manufacturers with similar purpose. Some have just one “wall” others have two walls like an “L” shape. It will keep the firearm in a consistent position in the bag instead of rolling around and then you end up having to dig for it.

2 Likes

I just ware my brave response and carry my edc. You can also use a stretchy under belt together with a klydex in the waist holster. Having the gun on a separate concealed belt makes a world of difference in how big you can go . Loose fitting top and away you go.

2 Likes

I like my Beretta Bobcat 22LR, loud, small but effective. D/A and S/A. Very nice piece. Good luck and good call with that situation.

2 Likes

I’ve been carrying at the gym for years. I use a 5.11 fanny pack, it has a quick pull tab to speed up draw. I carried a xd9 sub compact in it before which barely fit. I carry a hellcat in it now, 13+1 of 9mm.

2 Likes