Shove, guard & shoot practice

I saw this in a training video and thought I’d work on this and it’s a good mental workout. Close Quarters Battle.
Assailant is within arms reach, Shove Assailant backwards, raise your support hand/arm up alongside your head for protection as you drawl from concealed with strong side and your backing away from Assailant.
Don’t loose view of Assailant as you point and shoot across the front of your stomach.
Now, this being the important part, do this with dry fire, I used a Sirt Laser Pistol at home, (for a long time). Then and only then after you have know doubt, get an Instructor who is knowledgeable in close quarters defensive training. The Instructor will go over your Dry Fire Laser Training and give his/her evaluation of your actions. Then proceed from there to Live Fire or notify you of some faulty actions you’ve done during Dry Fire and have you correct them with more practice time before setting up another session in the future.
Remember, Practice then practice more. Oh yes, practice again and again and again.
Be sure of yourself, move steadily, repetitiveness on your movement’s in practice does work.
Most of all safety. I have someone watch over me even in dry fire practice, my wife…

9 Likes

Great advice. If one is not practicing safety one is not practicing self defense

8 Likes

link?/

1 Like

When I took my first ccw license class years ago, the instructor had us practice this during our “range time.” He had some target stands that we could knock over. We were instructed to yell “GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!” And shove the target while we backed away and shot the target. The funny thing during this exercise , was this young woman that did very well. She was about 5’1”, and very petite. She broke the target stand while she unloaded the .38 revolver into the center mass of the target. She got a healthy round of applause from us “gun guys.” I feel sorry for the person that ever takes her size for granted in a fight.

10 Likes

I do not agree with some of this.

If it is a shooting situation, our version was to;

1. “pop” with the palms into the area just inside the assailant’s arm pits (near the pecks) at the same time…quick and hard with a (just as) quick withdrawal).

2. Draw the firearm to where the elbow is against the “love handle” on the strong side.

3. Point shoot target (until stopped) while moving away smoothly.

4. Weak hand forearm up and above the nipple line to address any retry at being grabbed.

I do not know where this “turn sideways with the arm over the side of the head” came from??? Shooting across the front of the stomach is shooting too close to your own body, and for a left handed shooter can cause interference with clothing and a potential jam. For police officers, this turns the vest sideways towards the assailant exposing more unprotected body.

Bottom line: “KISS” (Keep It Simple Steven).

6 Likes

It’s good to practice your draw that includes a reference point on your ribs that the bottom of the magazine touches. After you clear the holster and drop your elbow, is the barrel parallel to the ground (pointed at the bad guy) and canted slightly away from the body, with the magazine touching a certain spot on the rib cage? I practice this both on the draw and when reholstering. There’s a point there where I’d be ready to shoot in a CQB situation. Also, make sure the muzzle is in front of your body at that point. But there’s a particular point on my rib cage that’s familiar, with elbow dropped, that I know where the muzzle is pointed and I practice this (dry) so it’s familiar. I was taught to also practice this when reholstering, and I do, but my gun isn’t going back to the holster until I’m certain the threat is over. It certainly isn’t a CQB situation when reholstering. But I do it just to reinforce that spot on my rib cage.

5 Likes

Steven288, the main word in your first sentence is VERSION.
Depending on which organization a person trains with you will always see different ways of doing certain actions. I’ve gone to different training organizations and when I used the ways of another I was told to do it the way this instructor wanted, was told "Your with (this organization) now and this is how we do it.
Sometimes I’ve found if I mix in a little of each it is more prophistiant for me and safe.
There are instructors who recognize that each person has a safe and natural way to do certain procedures with the abilities they have. Persons with Handicaps need other ways many times.

3 Likes

As a founding member of NAFTO (National Organization of Field Training Officers) and P.O.S.T. Certified in both California and Arizona, I can assure you that we made every effort to standardize training.
Like I said, I have never seen the tactic of placing the non shooting arm over the side of the head.

Try this little exercise; Stand facing a mirror. Hold your gun hand in position with your finger pointed at an imaginary target. Quickly hoist your non gun arm up and crooked over your head (as this training teaches). Do this several times so you can observed several reactions to this action.

1. Watch your pointed finger. Does it stay on target?

2. Watch your gun side shoulder. Does it dip, thereby shifting your hips (altering your balance)?

3. Observed your weak side. Does it turn forward exposing your vitals?

4. Now, do it again and concentrate on where your mind is. Is it primarily on your non shooting arm?

Is any of this safe? Is this good training?

As for shooting across the body, refer to the Sergeant Ed Deuel shooting on April 13th, 1985. Sergeant Deuel walked into an armed robbery in progress while walking a foot beat near the Huntington Beach Pier. He was assailed by two suspects, one with a .45 and the other with a shotgun.
The suspect with the .45, shot Deuel in the chest while SHOOTING ACROSS HIS BODY. The round struck Deuel in the vest. Deuel returned fire striking the suspect in the head. The suspect’s gun was found to be jammed with a partially ejected casing which lodged against his body.
The second suspect was behind his partner and was not able to get a clear shot at Deuel who had RETREATED to behind some parked cars.

Deuel went on to adjust his personal choices of equipment, particularly two magazines back to four as he had carried before being promoted. His basic training and positioning played key roles in his survival.

Please don’t let “trendy” new ideas be a part of your training.

5 Likes

A lot of the newer MMA/SOC-P style trainers are teaching the high guard draw for use against individuals with melee weapons. Bats, etc. The high guard is used to guard the head from an incomming blow ao you have a chance to create distance and draw. John Lovell of WPSN teaches it as one of the various draw scenarios

4 Likes

I have seen Richard Nance of Guns & Ammo demonstrate this technique.

4 Likes

Understand high guard against a swinging weapon. The discussion is shove, guard, & shoot against a close in assailant.

Like so often, the complexity of training, especially for laymen can render said training incomplete at best. There are so many pitfalls to this (see above).

I am staunchly against all the paramilitary complex equipment, edged weapons (as heavily advertised in USCCA Magazines), and complex training when it involves the everyday CCW holder. Again, K.I.S.S., otherwise plan on weekly training (which won’t happen in most cases-consider when was the last time you refreshed your CPR?).

Bottom line is; Don’t take a firearm anyplace that you wouldn’t go without one.

5 Likes

@RangeMatt , Very Correct, Thank You.
You never know what moves might be needed because you never know what the attacker will use or move. Reaction to a specific situation and knowing how to react, so training in different ways and training continuously will help your reactions.

4 Likes

My BLS/AED expired last year so its on the list of things to renew. I went and did the STB course a couple months ago and am looking to add a TCCC course as well in the near future. would love to go take WPSN’s EDC combatives class with josh griffin. Its all 100% FoF training with simunitions. From what i understand that class humbles a lot of people lol

4 Likes

In USCCA’S Protector Academy - Video’s -Fire Arms Training: Drill of the Month - Dry Fire: Strike, Detach, Draw, Assess, episode.
This video shows somewhat a basic version of what I entered into the head of this chat.
It doesn’t do the protection of using your arm to protect your head. Main thing as with many practice drills, do them often with dry fire before attempting live fire and then only with a certified reputable instructor.

4 Likes

What’s so “paramilitary” about “complex” training? Why would anyone try to asses what is too complex for another person besides themselves. Some folks take their SD training very seriously and want to be better prepared than most others, and quite a few LEO and Military folks are poorly trained and rather apathetic about it. And the last line I don’t get at all…

7 Likes

@Enzo_T , You hit the nail on the head. Well said.

6 Likes

Agreed. I also do not believe most of us involved with the USCCA are not the average CC holder. Neither do I see my carry knives as being a complex tool. I have them mostly for everyday tasks, such as opening boxes, cutting threads, etc. I have also learned to use them for SD for when I can’t carry or in a situation where trying to draw a firearm would not be the best action, where a knife would be better, such as CQB. A knife doesn’t jam, doesn’t drop mags, does’t need to be reloaded, and works from all angles, unlike a firearm that is only effective barrel at target.

I carry one on each side and I am fairly ambi, so I can, and do, use either knife. I also ensure they are always sharp. Recently at dinner, when carving the meat, I didn’t notice until after I was done that I was using my right hand (dominate Lefty). I hadn’t done that before, but it felt natural.

I believe my pistol practice that includes shooting weak-side has enhanced my ambi abilities as I have found I am doing more things right-handed than I did before, without even thinking about it.

4 Likes

I am still active in training others, and I understand very well the average make up, especially with older women.

If the shoe doesn’t fit, then don’t wear it. But here is a little test; if you are having fun and fellowship within upper echelon training, great and I applaud your choice of “hobbies”.
BUT, if you are preparing yourself for war, that seems to be a problem to me. (And I am not referring to 2nd Amendment principles).

1 Like

Other than our government, not the military I am talking about, but the departments, the ones with all the military tacticool equipment and arms, gifted military vehicles, etc. I agree that is a problem. Other than those, I do not know anyone that fits that description.

1 Like

That is probably the most arrogant and elitist thing I’ve ever read here. Who are you to judge the needs and intent if others? Everyone deserves to have available to them whatever level of training the feel a need to have to reach the level of preparedness they seek. It’s not a “hobby” when you prepare yourself to defend your life and your family from potential threats.

5 Likes