Should you carry with one in the chamber?

"Or two? :sunglasses: AF2011A1 or 4 even? "
Yeah. Kinda like thatā€¦yeah!

3 Likes

It becomes a paperweight if you donā€™t have one in the chamber training training training finger discipline the gun is not going to go off by itself

6 Likes

Making the decision to carry with a round in the chamber is a personal I am ready
to due that thing. Donā€™t let anyone push you to that decision, it is something that
you have to do.
Having said that I want to show a short video from Mythbusters that will show what
can happen without carrying in condition 1 (one in the chamber). Mike

7 Likes

I read somewhere (Sorry I cant remember where) that law enforcement casts HP because there is a less likely chance that the round will go through someone and strike another.

7 Likes

Hey @Marc17, Please forgive my lack of understandingā€¦ but by ā€œcastā€ did you mean ā€œdiscardā€?

3 Likes

@Marc17 - First I want to welcome you to the forum it is good to have you here.
Second I along with Jersey would like to know what casting HP is, as I am not
familiar with the term. Mike :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You do not have a holster for it? Then it is good that you do not carry it or chamber a rd.

4 Likes

Voice Says: ā€œYou should have had one in the chamberā€
Guy says, ā€œWho is that and where am I?ā€
God says: Heaven!

6 Likes

How so? I donā€™t want to be that guyā€¦lol

5 Likes

Welcome to the family Jason and glad you are here with us.

4 Likes

Signs Iā€™ve seen, touching the gun, moving the gun, fidgeting and acting a bit odd ā€¦ ā€œoverly awareā€ type behavior that draws attention to you.

@Phil-G45, what else do you see?

9 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Always checking their shirts to make sure itā€™s covered, jumpy when someone is on their dominant side, and walking with an odd lean. Have confidence in your carry method. The firearm isnā€™t going anywhere, and you worrying about it so much just makes it more obvious that you have one, and makes people nervous. The overly aware thing puts other people carrying on alert to you, and pulls their eyes away from observing their surroundings.

8 Likes

Furtiveness sets my alarms off. As well as wrong type of clothing for weather and area in. Also the eyes. I also watch hips. As the hips tell you alot about where and what they are about to do.

5 Likes

Steve6, your fist question says it ALL.

3 Likes

Welcome Jason. Jump inā€¦the water is fine!

4 Likes

Thanks Thomas!

3 Likes

When I bought my 1st gun, I carried both ways to see what suited me best. I decided on one in the chamber, because it didnā€™t sit right with me not being ready for anything. Not carrying with one in the chamber Is like a car with no head lights.

3 Likes

The most important first step is to find a IWB or OTW holster that offers comfort and any retention devices that you want. You also want to make sure the holster covers the trigger guard. Then I would suggest wearing your rig around the house and in positions that you will most likely have to draw from. For instance if you drive a lot, you will want to be able to comfortably wear the rig while driving, and then dry fire practice from that position. Realistic training in the environment that you most likely expect a dynamic critical incident to occur in is what will make you more comfortable, confident, and efficient with CC. Finally, I do carry with a round chambered because not having a round chambered slows down my response time where things happen in mere seconds.

2 Likes

A little more light-hearted, itā€™s basically like not putting a role on the holder but having to stand up and get one out of the head-knocker.

3 Likes