Should we arm selected teachers or allow teachers to carry who have gone through specific training?

The sad part is that we have to think about this at all. But if we have to, why not let them decide & keep it private.

5 Likes

Completely agree. However, at least in my experience from the mid-nineties I was completely shut down and shut out by the Principal of my Sonā€™s school. I suggested having me teach the Eddie Eagle Program to my Sonā€™s elementary school. My idea, and my time as a school volunteer came to an abrupt end. The Principal made it very clear just how ā€œdisappointed she was with meā€.

And I was an active LEO back then.

Again, the ā€œindoctrinationā€ with most (not all) educators is very deep-rooted.

Stay safe out there.

2 Likes

There have been plenty of school shootings to justify the need to protect our children (although Sandy Hook - which was really a closed school in Newtown, CT - was nothing more than an exercise in the futility of gun control). I agree that carrying should be a personal choice. But with that choice comes the responsibility of being trained and ready. If an individual carries a handgun but does not put in the hours of practice - dry firing, live shooting, as well as NRA (or equivalent) handgun defense classes - they are better off without them.

I still like the idea of former police officers and military being utilized at schools. Itā€™s been suggested, but has it been implemented anywhere?

Apparently in Utah they are already allowed to carry.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s good news!

2 Likes

They could carry and some should carry, only after a check of their SM posts. There are unfortunately too many radical leftists teaching our children. I personally donā€™t trust the group but do trust some individuals.

3 Likes

Another thought that occurred to me was where Iā€™m at, we have a University that specializes in teachers and nurses. Could there be a track one could take that would qualify a teacher to be that designated protector. Being that they also specifically teach nursing, wouldnā€™t it make sense to train all teachers in basic trauma care. I just think teachers are a keystone to a society and should be trained and paid as much of not more then doctors. They should be able to be trusted with firearms. If they canā€™t be, they shouldnā€™t be teachers in the first place and we as a society must be doing something wrong.

1 Like

Iā€™m all for teachers exercising their God given right to carry a gun at school. Iā€™m for doing away with almost all GFZā€™s.

Any of us carrying a gun, are already held to a higher standard.

6 Likes

I think any of us who carry should hold ourselves to a higher standard and should know that we will be held to a higher standard after the fact. Unfortunately I have run into more than a few carriers who believe the gun on their hip and the occasional trip to the range make them capable of handling any situation they encounter.

There are many here with more training and practice then I have, but I think I have more than the average CCL holder. Given my training and skill level I would not feel the least bit comfortable in my ability to handle an active shooter school scenario. If I worked and carried in a school I would make sure I had very specific and intensive training as well as regular practice for those scenarios.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a good reminder for all of us. Personally as an Instructor, I do at least one thing everyday for my business and for my clients (present and future). I review at least one or two training videos, or I go through dry fire exercises, malfunctions clearing, review emergency first aid practices or review my presentation materials.

Itā€™s more than just my ā€œbusinessā€ now. Itā€™s my lifestyle that I have lived for the last 25 years.

Stay safe out there.

3 Likes

I communicated with a person who had experience advising schools on security. His first recommendation was having professionally trained, well paid security. But his second recommendation was that if this could not be afforded, then training and arming administrative and other staff was better than arming teachers.

He felt that kids were pretty observant and would eventually figure out which teachers were carrying. This could put those teachers in danger of being disarmed by a group of students. Think he was primarily thinking of areas with lots of gang activity and behavior.

I am pretty sure Ohio has (or at least had) a system of psychological testing and extensive training and practice requirements in order to let staff and faculty carry or at least have access to locked firearms.

3 Likes

This was discussion directly relating to pilots and air travel directly after 911. Then after Sandy Hook in 2012 it was again discussed for schools and teachers then the discussion move to just principals and administrators.
It is my opinion, that it should be left up to each school district to decide yes or no and then regulate. Once the decision is made, then mandatory training with annual refresher/qualification . Carrying would an individual option.
The optics would not be the greatest, but we live in a totally different America.

1 Like

I say yes. Suggest reviewing Tim Larkinā€™s youtube interview of Ed Monk, Last Resort Firearms Training. Retired Army, former teacher and police officer. Analyzes recent active killer events. Suggests average victim count at around 1 every 6 to 10 seconds. Thatā€™s a lot of victims waiting on the police. His take on run, hide, fight is slightly different. Fight, flee, barricadeā€¦worth a listen. Also, believe he will be making a presentation at the Ft Worth USCCA Expo this year.

2 Likes

I believe that if you are going to arm teachers they should at least have some formal training. With the world the way it is today it wouldnā€™t hurt to know your children are protected.

3 Likes

@Elitesless,
There are several threads dating back to August of 2019 that are in regards to arming teachers and there are some good responses to this topic. If you go to the search engine and search, arming teachers and should teachers be armed you can see the responses .

1 Like

Add one to the list I guessšŸ˜†

1 Like

As a lifeguard, I was trained in first aid/cpr.
As a shop rat, I was trained annually in first aid/cpr. Voluntary, but yeah, if we shop rats could do it, anybody could.

2 Likes

In Colorado there are over 30 school districts and charter schools that allow teachers to be armed. They are mainly in more rural communities. A group called FASTER ( FASTER Colorado ā€“ Armed Teacher Training - Independence Institute ) trains teachers who want to carry and are allowed by their district. I havenā€™t heard of any problems. That said, Colorado government is controlled by people who hate guns, like Representative Tom Sullivan, so who knows how long the situation will be allowed to remain.

3 Likes

Really? Interesting quite a few authorities disagree with you. Do children and teenagers have constitutional rights? | HowStuffWorks

2 Likes

Interesting reading.

2 Likes