Should I buy an AR15 or is there a similar weapon that is better?

My husband and I used all of our stimulus, even from 2020 or mainly guns and ammo. Im so happy :grin:

6 Likes

Ohhh Ye of little faithā€¦ :yum:

I think that was a compliment but then again I have been wrong as recently as this morning. Just ask my wife. :roll_eyes:

I try VERY hard to be grammatically as well as punctually correct with the exception of certain proprietary terms such as boolits and mebby as well as my cuss cover up words usually involving $ and !.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Take it as a compliment, If it was anybody else I probably would have figured it was a typo and moved on.

I am aware of the AK-47, the AK-74, AR-10, and even the Joe Biden AR-14, but never heard of an AR-47 before.

So, does the nomenclature come down to using an AR-10 or AR-15 receiver and calling it whatever upper is attached?

1 Like

@Gary_H you know until you just mentioned it I never paid attention. I guess the AR-47 is because no matter what you do you still need that banana magazine to make the rounds function correctly. So I guess it could be an AK-15 too :crazy_face:

Any other caliber AR I have ever owned I just referred to it by Caliber ie, 6.8, 300 Blackout, 458, etc. the 47 is the only one that doesnā€™t follow that pattern, probably because 7.62x39 is a mouth full.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

You did a good purchase, I have the same pistol and I am very pleased with it. Hollow point is best choice.

1 Like

I just did a quick search on that, and that is what I found, that it is called an AR-47 because it is designed to take the AK mags.

2 Likes

Actually that is incorrect. The AK mags wonā€™t fit in an AR platform (too wide) and for a goodly number of years magazine mfgā€™s struggled with the design because to go into an AR you need it to be straight but the design of the cartridge needs that bend. C-Products finally figured it out. AK mags latch on the back of the magazine (kind of like the M-14/M1A), AR mags have a window on the side that the mag catch goes into.

The only similarity is the curve of the mag after it comes out the lower on the AR.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

It depends on how often you are going to use it. ARā€™s need lots of help if you shoot them a lot. I had an M16 in Vietnam and had to strip it down and clean it if we used it alot. However I am about to get an AR15 too. I called a buddy who has one. He said the AK47 never needs cleaning. You can submerge it in a mud puddle and it will still fire and never jam. But Iā€™m sticking with the AR. A cleaning now and then will help me learn more about it.

3 Likes

Clearly my source was wrong. As you own one, I surely am not going to disagree. Thank you for the information.

1 Like

I am an owner of two Rock River Arms AR-47s and they do, indeed, both take the AK magazines. I have both metal and polycarbonate. The ones made by RRA fit the best, but all of them fit and work flawlessly.

Iā€™ve owned an AR-47 for about seven or eight years now. I bought the second one just before this current madness. The latest has a longer barrel and a couple more rails and doo-dads on it, but both shoot the 7.62x39. I usually shoot trash ammunition and this thing eats it and delivers great performance.

So even if some platforms donā€™t follow form and function of their namesake, Rock River Arms platforms do.

I only wish Iā€™d bought 20 more magazines when I had the chance.

4 Likes

Get a class 3 license & then purchase an M4A1. Problem solved.

2 Likes

+1 on 300BO. Was designed as a competition for PDWs used in urban warfare. The intent was something with the maneuverability of 9mm carbines for room clearing but that could still reach out and touch someone after exiting structures. Many think itā€™s meant to compete with 5.56mm but that isnā€™t really the case. Designed specifically for short-barreled and/or suppressed applications. Makes it great for home defense.

At the beginning of the pandemic, I bought a 14.5" BCM AR upper and lower in 5.56mm. Now I wish I had gone with a ~8" 300BO upper. Live and learn. Now I just have an excuse to expand the arsenal once all this madness cools off bit and things start coming back on the market.

3 Likes

The downside to .300BO is the price & availability. Even before the panic buying. As itā€™s relatively new not a many companies make it yet. Particularly if you want one of the subsonic options to take full advantage of the suppression.

1 Like

Thank you for your Service Marine ,

I Love my AR-15 trusted and always reliable , I have ran several thousand rounds through it with out a problem . Good luck in your Pro 2A life style and welcome to the USCCA Family.

3 Likes

@Jeff168 Sir, I stand corrected. I had never seen such a creature before this morning thank you for enlightening me. My day is complete, I learned something new!

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

One does not need a Class III license to purchase said product.

1 Like

I own one AR type rifle. It is a Daniel Defense MK4, SBR (short barrel rifle - has to have a federal tax stamp :grimacing:) It was the same style my son was using in the Navy. (Thatā€™s all I can say about him except he and his buddies used the DDMk4 military version.) I have placed a supressor on it which brings it almost back to the length of a standard AR15. In the house SIG MPX in 9mm suppressed takes care of that situation. I highly recommend that. Be warned! It is not pocket book friendly.
I am curious about the new 5.7mm platforms that are coming out. That appears to be an option. 50 rounds in a magazine in a platform that is pretty easy to move inside with is an exciting concept. And now companies are offering different loads for it too. That is always a good sign.
The AR is friendly to just about everyone, and that can be important. The love of my life is very protective of me and the grandkids. Seeing her behind one of these would truly solve my bladder problem. Besides I am at the age where the threat of long prison sentences is not much of a threat any more.
5.56 mm / .223 works very well. In the house those rounds would chew through walls pretty easily. The sound would also be almost unbearable (hence a Suppressor). Pistol Caliber Carbines would be a better choice there (IMHO). But once out side, the big boys rule!

1 Like

:face_with_monocle: Interesting

Home protection facing multiple intruders, etc.

1 Like

Thanks to all of you who responded. Iā€™ll have to process all of the responses and go from there. I do have one more question concerning the types of ammo that can be fired from an AR15. Our M16s used FMJ and from what I have read so does the AR15. Is it possible to fire hollow point ammunition with an AR15? I would like this for home defense mainly for multiple intruders, however, I donā€™t want to send rounds into my neighbors homes. I want the stopping power but want to alleviate over penetration if possible. Thanks again!

1 Like