Shotgun Ammo Dangers when using for Self Defense / Home Invasion

The Leo that told me about the Mini Shells mentioned the adapter insert. I would get one before using them in my shotgun.

3 Likes

I kinda came looking for a topic on this subject. I have a 590 shockwave in my bedroom, and itā€™s loaded with birdshot. I have slugs and buckshot, so I momentarily questioned why I have it loaded with birdshot before remembering my circumstances. I live in an apartment with a single entryway. I live alone, however, directly across from my entry door is the door to another apartment. Iā€™m extremely concerned about over penetration to that apartment. My shotgun is mostly for if I ā€œretreatā€ to my bedroom though. Itā€™s not the first firearm Iā€™d grab. The way my apartment is set up is where if someone comes in my front door, Iā€™m backed into a corner. Iā€™m on the 3rd floor with no other way out. Iā€™m never more than 10 feet from a firearm, and I have it strategically set up where I can keep grabbing new guns if Iā€™m being forced backwards. The apartment across from my is currently unoccupied, so maybe Iā€™ll load some slugs for a while.

1 Like

The best (IMO) solution if worried about overpenetration is to make sure you know where your angles are. Take a few minutes and stand at various places in your apartment and see ā€œif intruder enters here, i can safely engage pointing in this directionā€ and identify things that can be used as a backstop like a bookcase or other large/heavy/dense furniture, appliances, firewalls, etc. Most apartment buildings have concrete walls ā€œsomewhereā€ even if between most apartments is just drywall. Seek those out.

If you literally canā€™t point anywhere without endangering someone, #4 buckshot is less penetrative that 00 buck but more effective than birdshot. I would only go with birdshot as a last resort. YMMVā€¦

2 Likes

Please take your favorite flavor of ammo
And change out your choke system and shoot and 40 to 60 feet away with you investment. Change that choke from improved cylinder, full. and modified is a our basic choke and could be the oldest.

That shock wave is nice, but made for self protection. Smooth bores and 16 / 18 " barrel, close range. CHECK TO SEE THE RESULTS. PEOPLE CARE ABOUT YOU HERE AND THEIR POSTIINGS HAVE SHOWN IN. Wish to hear how things went.

1 Like

Im new to shotguns, but looking online at the damage a #8 bird shot can do at close range, I canā€™t imagine someone still having fight in them. Even if they did, I have 4 more if needed.

3 Likes

Not all birdshot is created the same, but I have a dim view of it for self defense after seeing this video from Active Self Protection a few years ago. Young girl college student just minding her own business takes a chest full of birdshot at maybe 10ft, and just walks away. IMO that would not stop a determined attacker.

One of the primary advantages to using a shotgun is it is as close to ā€œa one shot stopā€ as you can get. You trade that for increased recoil, less maneuverability, etc. If you take the power out of the equation, a shotgun IMO is way less appealing. But if you absolutely positively must not have any over-penetration than birdshot is maybe your only choice unless you go non/less-lethal like pepper balls/pepper spray or tazers.

4 Likes

Hi all, I was thinking about the minishells for my new shotgun until I saw this video from Paul Harrell. I will not be choosing those.

I recently purchased my first shotgun, a 20 guage Mossberg 500 Youth Super Bantam on gunbroker.com. Iā€™m signing up for a local class and eager to get ammo before the election for home defense. I live in a townhome with shared walls, so looking for ammo that will do the job without overpenetration. I also have a Smith & Wesson 38 special.

Yep, Iā€™m new here and this is my first post. :smiley:

4 Likes

@Joanna3.
Welcome to the community.
cobra
Train Hard and Stay Safe

1 Like

You have done very well. I HAVE 2 .38, 2" , REVOLVERS,
TAURUS 85 and the 605. The Taurus 605 is larger and is best with +P rounds, and the 605, it is a .357 magnum., 8 to 10 yards with a standard 130 g ammunition.

You have the shotgun .20 gauge. Good work again, you researched the equipment you can use and handle best. That will alway be a A+ for you, well done !

The video you watch he is a great help to understand and answers your questions. Thank you !

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes, you are right about my researching! Hopefully itā€™ll work out jusssst right. :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you Cobra!

2 Likes

Have you looked into frangibles? I personally cannot vouch for or against it, but it is worth considering.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help !

1 Like

Yes! I did a lot of research before buying my shotgun and ammo. I have #8 birdshot. Itā€™s 5+1, and I keep 4 in the magazine and none in the chamber. Itā€™s ready to go and will work just fine in my home.

Smith & Wesson Air Weight 38 special
Mossberg 500 Youth pump action 20 gauge shotgun

You can stack the deck in your favor, but nothing will ever be a sure thing.
Indoors, things can happen very quickly and will be deafening.
Consider likely firing lanesā€”hall ways, entry ways, stairways etcā€¦ and shared walls with bedrooms be well aware of which directions you must not shoot,
Make certain your family members know to hit the deck in the event of an invasion.

2 Likes

Interesting video. it was missing some information however. In terms of the 500 series pump shotgun they suggest you get a mini shell adapter that helps the shorter shells chamber better. There is also the option of 00buck or even a slug for home defense. I use #4 buck, 00Buck and a hollow point slug loaded in a 500 hog gun. It holds 8, 2.75" or 8, 3" shells. However it will hold 10 mini shells. The adapter looks like this. OPSol mini clip mini shot shell adapter - YouTube

The video you posted asked why do you need more rounds with a shot gun? For me the question has never been why I needed more only can I get more. But I suppose we could ask all of of friends with double stack magazines why they need more than 7 or 8?

My point is what do you want from your home defense weapon. I am not looking for a long drawn out gun fight. I am not looking for over penetration either. However I have measured the distances of my rooms considering how far my invaders might be. I canā€™t find a distance more than 20 feet and more likely 10 to 15 feet. At 15 feet 00buck from a mini shell will put several 380 size holes at about the same velocity as a short barrel 380 or a .50 size slug about as fast as a 45acp.

It all comes down to knowing your weapon and what you want to do with it. In my opinion.

1 Like

In another topic we discussed the merits of ear muffs with microphones to pick up sound while dampening gun fire. I thought it was such a good idea I now keep mine next to my shotty in the bedroom.

3 Likes

@Joanna3 fellow townhouser here. @John292 has good advice here. It applies to all homes, but especially townhouses and apartments. Most townhouses are built kinda similar, so you should have a really good firing lane down the stairs from the bedroom area(s) where you donā€™t have to worry about over-penetration at all. Depending on your upstairs bedroom layout (not just the doors, but where are the beds) you probably may have an angle down the hallway as well.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you for this information.

The cleanest shots in my middle unit townhome are down the stairs, or across the ground floor hallway.

I hadnā€™t thought about ear protection nor about a ā€hit the deckā€ plan for my roommate. We will certainly have that discussion.

I donā€™t see me going for ear muffs in the moment, as Iā€™ll be listening with every pore of my body and hoping I donā€™t freeze.

4 Likes

Take it from someone who lost much of their hearing in the military, you do not want to spend the rest of your life going ā€œhuh, what, no I didnā€™t hear youā€. My poor wife has to put up with that every day! :roll_eyes:
If you fire a gun in close quarters you will cause irreparable damage to your ears.

4 Likes