Shooter at a restaurant

What lengths do you go through to ensure that both yourself and your family will be protected. I always try to sit where I can see all avenues of approach and plan escape routes. If need be, in public I try to have the mindset of close with the enemy and destroy them if necessary.

6 Likes

Pretty much the same.

As soon as we walk in we evaluate the dining area noting paths of egress and considering where the best overall view can be had and immediately seek the most ideal position.

I’ll make a mental plan of what we’ll do if XYZ happens from all the likely areas.

My brother and I have been doing this for so long we just simply look and divide the areas of responsibility between us mentally and don’t even need to discuss it.

When I take classes out in public we will go over it in detail and I’l have each student make notes, draw a map, we discuss over the meal/event and then go over it in detail when we get back to class.

Mental prep and training are 90-95% of successful self defense.

6 Likes

Same here. As soon as I walk in the door, I’m looking for ways in and out, including how the kitchen enters the dining area, and where the restroom is. When we are seated, I sit where I have the most visibility, and I always request a booth if that is an option. Easier to duck and hide if it came to that.

4 Likes

But booths are harder to get in and out of, so limit mobility. I guess it’s a balancing act between hiding and moving. That being said, I’d prefer a booth in a good position to a table in a bad position.

3 Likes

I try to sit where I have greatest visibility of the restaurant. Not always a option, however. Sometimes you have to sit where you are put. I note where exits are, including the kitchen which, most times, has a back door out. I also look for areas of cover and concealment. Lastly, I participated in a defensive shooting league (Condition Yellow in Arlington Heights, IL) that had us draw and shoot from a seated position with a table. Definitely a worthwhile exercise as it’s not entirely intuitive if you haven’t done it. Training is key.

3 Likes

I usually go to the same places so I know the server and they know where my family likes to sit.

I’ve already visualized ways of escape in all my dinning areas as well as knowing exits and what not.

3 Likes

Everything we do in lawful self defense is a balancing act.

4 Likes

to the point of irritating others in my party, I insist on being seated where I don’t have my back to the door and keeping my draw side clear and unhindered. I make it a point to scan the room just in case I walked in after the trouble did.

1 Like

I always choose the aisle seat facing the door when offered a booth. it offers both the “duck and hide” and maneuver and draw option.

2 Likes

Back to wall, no window, uninhibited lines of sight. Nothing near gun hand.

3 Likes

For me, I’m not so sure about the no window thing. I like a nice view as most times we go out there is no call for defensive actions. And this guy thinks that if he can see trouble sooner, all the more quickly he can anticipate and react.

2 Likes

I don’t like the idea of being shot through a window where the shooter would be outside of my situational awareness zone. I want the windows in front of me so I can see and hopefully react.

I guess it’s one of those YMMV things.

2 Likes

My hubby usually has dibs on The Cop Seat - back to the wall, access to exits, clear view of all entrances, and where you can see the cash register. I like to be able to see where my truck is parked out the window too. We prefer a table to a booth, even though the booths are more comfy - getting out of a booth could be the limiting time factor, so we take the table option if it’s available.

awesome idea for a lunch-and-learn!

3 Likes

I actually prefer booths because of the cover/concealment benefit especially where the tables are not anchored to the floor.

Sounds like you and Hubby have a good, balanced plan.

3 Likes

That’s why I prefer the booth as well.

1 Like

I’m most uncomfortable in restaurants. Everything in this thread is food for thought. Never to old to learn new things.

2 Likes

How many times is a restaurant shot up vs robbed? I like the window option if they allow you to see outside because if you really want to be aware, there is a better chance of being able to see something developing.

2 Likes

Enough times that it has gotten into my " sphere of influence" and thought. I sit facing the door with wall to my back and one to my side.

You don’t know me obviously or you would know I joined the USCCA specifically due to one of those “long shot hardly ever happens things” except it did happen , and it happened to my daughter.

Ok, you see something developing. They see you see them. Your cover/ concealment is now a 1/4 inch pane of glass. They start shooting and rush the place

See, we can do this all day long, we have to make compromises all day, every day about our personal security.

You do you brother. There’s no beef here. Just someone who operates differently than you do

1 Like

Honestly I hate crowd period. I simply do not like being surrounded by people I know nothing about.

1 Like

Like all things related to Self Defense there are always tradeoffs.

More visibility, more vulnerability.

More security, less accessibility.

More accessibility, less security.

Longer shot, lower probability of a hit.

Working in for a closer shot? Higher probability of both scoring a disabling hit but also a higher probability of being shot yourself.

1 Like