Serious Question: What has CV-19 taught you about your "Emergency Stores"

@Brett13 Care to expound on this process?

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Cold (raw) pack meat canning:
Make sure jars are clean, wash and rinse lids. Place lids in pan of water on low heat. Cut meat into cubes, or strips, place into jars leaving 1" head space for beef, pork, venison. 1-1/4" head space for chicken. You can add 1/2-1 tsp of canning salt to jars if you prefer, we do. It works best to add salt prior to filling with meat.
Place lids on jars and snug bands, do not over tighten.
Place jars into canner. The rest is for our canner, an All American 930, and our elevation (below 1,000’.
Wait until a steady stream of steam flows from vent for 10 minutes, then place weight on vent at the 10 # setting. Once weight jiggles the first time. Steam for 90 minutes at 10 psi. Weight should jiggle 1-4 times per minute. Follow canner instructions for cool down.
The All American 930 can process 19 pints, or 14 quarts at a time. Hint: add a little vinegar to water in canner to avoid white film on jars.

P.S. I should clarify that you put raw meat into the jars. Just place the meat into the jars. Shake to fill voids, but do not pack it down.

3 Likes

You can also can hamburger and pork sausage, but these must be browned prior to canning.

My biggest takeaway, was my mantra as a leader. “Inspect What You Expect”.

I had let a couple of critical items get dangerously low. Vitamins, especially. My wife had been raiding those as I have to take vitamin supplements, so instead of buying each month, she would grab from stash. Instead of buying new. So right now I have whatever we could find.

She and I also had to discuss the difference between long term dry food that lasts w/o power vs long term food with power.

I think I am going to be a bit more diligent this fall, about trying to find someone to hunt with and start making jerky again.

1 Like

@Zavier_D Are you familiar with Emergency Essentials at www.BePrepared.com.
They are out on Salt Lake City UT. I have been dealing with them for about 16 years, there shipping is very reasonable and there products are of good quality and are good for 20 to 30 years. They have been in business long enough to test after 20 to 30 years. In buy all my long term foods from them. Like any company now there is a 1-3 month wait. :+1:

1 Like

I am. I have been dealing with alot of issues health wise and just hadn’t been checking enough to be sure. That’s on me.

1 Like

We just started a couple of months ago. I’ll start a thread in the Hunting category for a recipe swap!