Seeing Red: Training with MRDS | Concealed Carry Magazine

Mini red-dot sights (MRDS) have been around for some time in sport shooting and competition arenas but have only recently been seriously considered for personal defense on concealed carry firearms.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/seeing-red-training-with-mrds/
1 Like

Do you prefer red dot or iron sights?

• Red Dot
  • Iron Sights
  • I have iron sights but I want Red Dot
  • Other please explain in your response below

0 voters

I have no issue with my excellent night sights. That said, I will one day invest in a RDS. For me, at the moment, the cost is prohibitive. I will insist that I can co-witness with the irons when I do

Hi question to both Dawn and Virgil, are they referring to red dot sights like the [
Streamlight 69284 TLR-6 Tactical? Second question, I read last night on an ammo site that green dots are actually better especially during the day. Any thoughts?

Hello and Welcome. The red dot sight in this instance is one that is mounted on top of the pistol. It has some type of clear glass window that, when you look through it, has a red or green dot that is your sight, versus the normal “iron sights” that are standard. The full article has a picture of a couple of them. The dot can be your stand-alone aiming point or can be used in conjunction with traditional sights.
Many people find it easier to see a green dot vs the red, and yes, that is especially true in the daytime.
Enjoy!

Longer answer: I train with iron sights because they’re always there and always on. I like red dots and if you have one you should train with it, but never exclusively. And personally, I never felt the need to train excessively with a CCO; you put the dot on your target and squeeze the trigger, it’s not hard if your fundamentals are good.

Over 40 my eyesight dimished to the point iron sights were out of focus unless reading glasses were worn. I decided the bad guy is not waiting for me to grabb my glasses to see the sights, and center mass only works when you are not in tight quarters, so the Red Dot won me over.

Hi Virgil_H, thank you.

1 Like

I have both. And I like both. Problem is in broad daylight red dot sights cannot be used.

I have wanted to use the red dot sights since I bought my gun, the problem is the gun I bought would need t be milled so I could co-witness which is $125 to 175 then 250 to $550 for the red dot. At this point I could buy a new gun. Frankly I just can’t afford either, hopefully one day it will be cheaper.

Has anyone tried the seeallopensight from seeallopensight.com. I am curious if there reviews are real or just their selling point.

Hello Group! - I have a Vortex Red Dot sight on my G34 and mainly shoot it in IDPA competitions. The Gen 5 G34 comes with a cut-out to mount your sight. I do, however, prefer Trijicon night sights for my G19 and often shoot competition with that as well.

Red dot sights do take some getting used to, but once you master them, it’s well worth it. Once you make your adjustments at the range it becomes easier to acquire your target. I sighted mine at 7, 10 and 15 yard distances. There isn’t any emphasis on front sight focus. Draw your handgun and get your dot on target. I discovered that my speed increased. All other fundamentals apply. I believe Red Dot sights are worth looking into for any shooter.