Security guard chases smash and grab thief away

Just saw this story today: Caught On Video: Would-Be Thief Tries To Smash His Way Into Store On Jewelers Row Downtown, Only To Be Confronted By Man With Gun - CBS Chicago
Even though no shots were fired, an overly aggressive prosecutor could’ve given the security guard grief. It sounds like he’s okay, legally, especially given Chicago’s epidemic of store thefts. It would be bad optics to go after a guard hired to protect the stores in Jewelry Row.

2 Likes

I am glad the armed security guard did not fire his weapon. He could have been charged with menacing or brandishing. An overly aggressive prosecuter can easily say that there was no need to pull a gun to protect property that was never taken. The crime was already over by the time the security guard got there. The crime committed was either criminal mischief, vandalism or destruction of property.

1 Like

Perhaps it was fortunate for the guard that the thug still had the chain in his hand. Deadly weapon, justifying at least the display of the guard’s gun. But I’m glad for the guard, for showing restraint. The criminal made the right decision, beating his feet.

1 Like

I believe I saw the chain on the floor when the security guard went through the door. Once he started running he couldn’t shoot him in the back anyways.

1 Like

Interesting, I imagine, coming down the stairs after hearing the impact and glass shatter one could justify having their firearm in hand. When he opened the door the perp had his hands in his pockets, that’s scary itself. But once he turned and ran I think it would be difficult to say the threat had not been eliminated so shooting at the guy would probably have been the wrong thing to do. I think this guy was pretty spot on with his response.

2 Likes

You’re correct. The would-be thief had the chain on the ground when the door opened. Good for the guard he played it smart.

1 Like