Secure your Firearms unless you are a retailer?

The first thing that jumps out at me is, don’t they cable lock any of these guns? Then what about burglar alarms? Anyways, this looks like the other times this has happened around here, an inside job.
So when I go to the gun show and buy a Mossberg, how to I know for certain it isn’t one of these?

5 Likes

What is the thread title referring to?

I think that when you buy a gun from another private party, you may not definitively know that it wasn’t stolen. Most guns purchased at gun shows tend to be purchased from dealers though, which would seem to mitigate if not completely avoid that concern

2 Likes

Nathan57, I like you dude but PLEASE Stupid playing stupid, it really get’s annoying.

1 Like

I’m sorry? I don’t know what you are referring to. I am not overly familiar with Utah laws, I searched them up quick and first indication is UT does not have any particular safe storage laws…though being in a locked building/business would seem to my lay person opinion to qualify as secure. I’m just not sure what I might have been missing

OK, I’ll play, for a minute.
I lock my front door when I leave my house so why would I need a gun safe, like you said

Then I’ll add, a public display of hundreds of firearms seem like it would attract attention…

1 Like

I don’t know if you would “need” a gun safe. I know plenty of people that own guns and do not own a gun safe. Is that okay? Reference the recent discussion where a majority of US households have a gun…I’ll wager dollars to donuts a majority of US households also do not have a gun safe. Should that be a legal requirement you think?

2 Likes

Having the local police check the federal database continues to be the most accurate way to look up gun history by serial number to ascertain whether or not a used firearm is lost or stolen.

1 Like

Mike,

If I may,
Please don’t
It isn’t worth it Brother.

I usually buy from an on-line FFL dealer,
They in turn send them to my LGS.
Would I love to just go in and purchase a GAT
and bring it home? YES.
But I rarely now get that anyway because the ATPF makes me wait (usually).
soooooooooooooooo whatever. I like doing it this way.

don

4 Likes

Yeah, one would think retailers have stricter measures in place compared to the average gun owner.

4 Likes

The State or government will first say, ‘they need to be locked up’. Ok, locked in my house. But then they change their minds and say ‘they weren’t locked in a safe’.

6 Likes

Yeah that’s one of my worries with it, the slipper slope and general government telling us what we have to do. And on the FFL front, it already is being reported and feeling like (I say feeling, I’m not an FFL or anything) the government is coming down on FFL’s more and more for anything they can to try to revoke licenses. I worry too few FFL’s left and ‘walking on eggshells’ feeling they might have if everything is going to be hyper scrutinized looking for a reason…will only make it more expensive/PITA for folks to acquire firearms

5 Likes

Indirect attack on gun owners

6 Likes

I am not a fan of government requirements to lock firearms up in a safe. Especially since some of the proposed laws seem designed solely to make it impossible to access a firearm in time while being attacked. But I am a fan of keeping firearms locked in a safe when they are not under a persons direct control.

One of the incredibly few break ins over the past decade in our neighborhood was a second home that the owner kept a small collection of firearms in. It appears to have been a smash and grab and they walked out with the unsecured firearms.

Most the gun stores in the nearby town have bars and or roll down security doors and windows. There are a couple of bigger box stores that seem less secure. All they have are the firearms cable locked to the wall. Assume they have alarms and cameras as well but seems like someone with bolt cutters would have a fair chance of getting in and out before LEOs could respond.

5 Likes

Hello, California :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Has CA passed the firearm and ammo must be locked in separate safes law? I know that has been on the agenda for awhile.

4 Likes

Immediately after you asked this🤣

7 Likes

DICK’S Sporting Goods (aptly named) in Albuquerque HAD a couple of bank ‘follow me to the teller’s stations’ Poles and some yellow ‘caution tape’ wound through them when that department was closed
or ‘Out to Lunch’ (another accurate description) When two guy’s filled up (2) shopping carts and walked right past a stunned unarmed guard (Now working at Arby’s). Later ‘Intensive Investigation’ by the ATPF found ‘Gross discrepancies’ in the storage and displaying of their firearms…Big DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Seriously 'Dick’s? (Oh by the way Gun cases and display counters were 75%off the next week!)
Now their hottest selling item is ‘Pickle Ball rackets… Justa Sayin’

WWG1WGA

7 Likes

IMG_2568

7 Likes

Yer Bad to the Bone my Friend, bad to THE Bone!

(I like that!)

3 Likes

3 Likes