Safety First

This happened just down the road from my house. While the Remington 700 had documented problems with accidental firings I also put responsibility on the shooter. Be your own safety, don’t rely on something or someone else. Be safe.
Sorry, all I could post was the link. Hope it opens.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0NS02kle?s=a99&pd=01wGvEoa

4 Likes

that’s scary… and proves that none firearm is a toy and cannot be trusted… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
And YES - SAFETY FIRST… ALWAYS

BTW: link opens fine

2 Likes

In some states it is illegal to have a loaded gun in the car. and it is just because of cases like this. And I want to know why they didn’t wait until they go to the tree stand to load the rifle. It would have been a lot safer.

2 Likes

Exactly. Now Remington will get sued because of unsafe gun handling. I feel sorry for her but this was entirely preventable. I had my scanner on that day and heard the call come in. Tragic for sure but it could have easily been prevented.

2 Likes

I ditched my 7600 because if you hit the butt with a moderate amount of force it with let loose the hammer.

2 Likes

“The barrel was pointing to the ground like it should, and the safety was on.”

Seems the barrel was pointed at her foot, not the ground. I feel sorry for her, but there are safety rules for a reason. When I used to deer hunt, we loaded the guns before we walked to our stand, not in a moving vehicle.

3 Likes

And this is why we have multiple safety rules… because sometimes a safety fails. Never point your gun at anything you aren’t willing to destroy.

I hope she will recover well. Another link.

3 Likes

That is super unfortunate, I do know that Remington had a recall for this problem on the 700 a few years ago. I periodically check the manufacturer’s websites for any recalls. Do any of you do that as well?

1 Like

I do now. Still, safety dictates smart carry. Having any rifle/shotgun loaded and pointed at your foot is just dumb.

2 Likes

I definitely agree with you, you do not want to point a firearm at yourself. You also do not want to have a rifle that just shoots randomly.

1 Like

It is great to read this and it makes me happy to see there is hope. I was reading a article that

a Priceless DAD accidently shot and killed his 9 year old son; Hunting. Painful and your

decision to use SAFETY, well done.

1 Like