S&W 380 Bodyguard vs Walther PPK vs Walther PPK/S

I’m planning my old man pocket pistol carrying a couple decades in advance. Which of these 380s should win out?

2 Likes

Walther, IMHO, the Bodyguard is too snappy

4 Likes

All is personal preference.

I personally would go with Walther - PPK/S will be first choice. PPK is a little bit smaller so it may suit you better, but you will have to decide.

Even Bodyguard is a great pistol… I prefer to see the hammer, somehow I feel safer if I can feel it under my thumb.

…and of course with Walther you can feel the touch of Bond, James Bond :grin:

3 Likes

5 Likes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Karacal :love_you_gesture: :joy:

Screenshot from 2023-11-26 00-42-30

I’m sorry I used your own flowers…

5 Likes

… and what the hell is that? :scream: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :imp:

Screenshot from 2023-11-26 00-43-50

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I was waiting for you to notice!

1 Like

Birthday first… :bouquet:

2 Likes

@Max20 , please excuse us for those few posts… we really have no intention of stealing this thread… but you know… small guns always bring big surprises. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I like the all metal frame in a smaller pistol. Hammer fired is a plus. :+1:

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @Karacal! Enjoy your day!

2 Likes

I personally would find all 3 of those options a little on the big and/or heavy side for my pockets.

That’s why I have a Ruger LCP Max. Tiny, light and a little snappy but manageable and has really good 10 or 12 round magazine capacity. Sometimes I worry I’ll forget I have it in my pocket and accidentally throw it in the washing machine;)

4 Likes

One gun that I have never seen here is the Remington .380, when I went to my LGS I asked the sales man to put all the .380s on the counter, and after going through them all I got to the Remington, the feel was great and then I pulled the trigger, and yes they allowed dry fire, the trigger pull was by far the best out of all the others. And I said we have a winner. The salesman said let me see that and when he pulled the trigger he said he was in the market for a .380 and had never considered a Remington but he was definitely buying one now.

3 Likes

Bodyguard is an excellent little pistol, cant go wrong or more compact in 380 than this.
These micros are all susceptible to LPS. Whatever is your choice, it must have a second strike capability.

2 Likes

Why must it have second strike capability? Many, probably most, popular self defense pistols don’t have that feature.

I could see that being a bonus in very rare circumstances but in my very limited experience with ammo induced failures to fire if the round doesn’t go bang on the first strike it almost always isn’t gonna go bang with a second strike. I’m conditioned to tap and rack on the first click to get a new round in the chamber instead of pulling the trigger again and hoping I don’t get another click.

4 Likes

Not very rare, in my experience.

Not so, in my experience.

LPS is induced not so much by the ammo, but by operation of a micro pistol, though brand of ammo plays a role. The round is not defective, and you wouldnt want to waste it by tap-racking. Mind you only have 6 in that mag.

So you can see why I recommend the 2nd strike (DA)

2 Likes

This is the main reason I like the LCP Max. 10 or 12 rounds in the mag. .380 is a fairly borderline round so I never felt comfortable being limited to 6.

The redesigned grip and barrel lockup on the Max also makes recoil more controllable than the LCP 1 or 2. The trigger and sights are pretty good too. Though I haven’t used the other 3 options above so can’t compare.

Except for an LCP 2 that was a total lemon before being repaired by Ruger, I just have not had any issues that I can remember with my pocket pistols not going bang when I pull the trigger. Granted I have not shot them as much as my micro 9s and larger pistols but I have put at least a couple thousand rounds through the various LCPs I have owned.

I should add that I haven’t used really cheap ammo in .380. Usually practice with Speer lawman or PMC Bronze ammo. Though have shot a fair amount of cheap Winchester white box flat nose as well.

3 Likes

My old man’s choice for 380 … No longer in production, 'tho, so you gotta search a bit for it. Always goes bang, no malfunctions like PPKs, DA/SA, feeds any ammo I’ve put in it, does not beat me up like my LCP or other 380s so I can shoot enough to get accustomed to it, thin, light, metal construction, heel mag release.

The .380 Pistol Used by British SAS: Sig Sauer P230 - YouTube

1 Like

Kimber Micro 380 …3 seven round magazines , two of them are carried as spares. Small, comfortable and lightweight.

1 Like

I like LCP Max too!

Though, one needs to consider: do you want a click safety? do you want the flattest handle possible, or willing to trade that for mag capacity?

1 Like