Responsible Citizen or Reckless Vigilante?

https://gunownersofamerica.cmail19.com/t/ViewEmail/i/E6CBDBC38A77DC362540EF23F30FEDED/73E36F4D2ABEA00FCE63909E3969C05F

4 Likes

We canā€™t live in an alternate reality when it comes to Self Defense. Here are that kids charges:

First-degree intentional homicide, use of a dangerous weapon
First-degree reckless homicide, use of a dangerous weapon
Attempted first-degree intentional homicide, use of a dangerous weapon
First-degree recklessly endangering safety, use of a dangerous weapon
First-degree recklessly endangering safety, use of a dangerous weapon
Possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18

Found the Criminal Complaint PDF. https://www.mystateline.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2020/08/Rittenhouse.pdf

1 Like

Let me say this, If you are considering going into law enforcement, do not involve yourself in actions that can detour your chances to getting into law enforcement. Speeding tickets can be used against you for getting into a department. Having the ability to follow rules and regulations is a key factor.
The rest of what happened well, he was running apparently trying to get away from a group of angry people and defended himself. Of course, he did place himself into the position having to defend himself. Common sense and rational reasoning is a requirement to becoming a police officer.
Now he will have the live with the lives he had effected.

4 Likes

This young man is 17 years of age. He is from IL not Wisconsin. He is from Antioch (Mayberry) not Kenosha, an urban city between Milwaukee and Chicago. He was not in his home defending his life or that of his parent(s). He had zero business armed, open carrying and in Kenosha. His age alone violates Wisconsin Open Carry law.

His premeditated and reckless actions took two lives, critical injuring another and destroying any possibilities of himself having an impactful future. His reckless act fuels the hatred toward firearms and against the 2A. His reckless act forces you and I to work a little harder to defend our constitutional right to bear arms.

3 Likes

@Todd30 As a police explorer many many moons ago, we were constantly reminded that our conduct outside the department was equally important to that while in uniform and/or representing the agency. Whyā€¦we were young and dumb with a police credentials and uniform. To your point, any mishaps cost you your future.

2 Likes

Mario, well-spoken. Your thoughts mirror mine. I think this was legitimate self-defense, and the guys who lost their lives or limbs were certified scumbags. But at the end of the day responsibly-armed citizens should hold themselves to a higher standard. This poor young man will never be able to pursue the law enforcement career he desired.

2 Likes

While itā€™s not exactly the same, the advent of social media has brought these warnings and and annual training classes into almost every profession. Especially those where ā€˜brand identityā€™ is part of the employerā€™s equity.

1 Like

You said many things right, but this I cant agree with. The left needs no examples to work against 2A, this incident contributes nothing, and future President Harris (yes) will implement confiscation programs, as she promised long ago, no matter what.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OMG. Thanks for the morning laugh. :+1:

2 Likes

A bit of bothā€¦ I donā€™t doubt his self-defense claim. From the multiple videos, it could go either way. That will be sorted out in court.

I think both the young man & his mom exercised extremely poor judgement in going to Kenosha. Certainly, it was within their right to do so. But, the RIGHT TO DO does not always mean ONE SHOULD DO.

The greatest concern is will the attention/notoriety inspire copycats around the country? I thought part of being responsible gun owners was to avoid unnecessary conflict! The intentions of the young man will be up for much debate (yes Iā€™ve seen his interview prior to the incident). But, going to the fight & having the fight come to you are 2 different scenarios, wouldnā€™t you say?

:thinking::v:t5:

3 Likes

You are an optimist, my friend. My greatest concern is that LE abdicated their duties to some extent, which led to this incident, and that created a vacuum that must be filled. Organized violence on part of not-so-peaceful protesters has been met by individual acts of violence, but not yet organized acts of violence. I am concerned about the latter. I am concerned that LE vacated space for much less benign actors, that we will see protection rackets, and vigilante groups dispensing law and order in the cities, according to their interpretation and interest.

4 Likes

His court appearance was a video conference and his extradition was moved to Sept. 25.2020 to give his attorneys time to build a defense. :+1:

2 Likes

Admittedly, I hadnā€™t carried the situation out as far as you but I can see that being a legitimate possibility. A logical conclusion if you willā€¦

There are factions that are probably hoping & pushing for such. So Iā€™ll take your conclusion furtherā€¦ The vacuum leads to sustained organized violence which causes the federal government to intervene since local democrats wonā€™t. Martial law is declared which leads to confiscation. The ensuing chaos sets the stage for the ā€œson of perditionā€ to bring (false) order to the :us: & :earth_americas:. GAME OVER!

1 Like

The thought of repeat of Germany-1933 in a nuclear superpower gives me chills

1 Like

Unfounded speculation based on his statement recorded previously stating he was going to help people, which several accounts testify to that, and that he carried for his self-defense, not unlike some EMTs and fire personnel are allowed to do.

2 Likes

I hear you sir. No chills, fear, or anxiety here though. What must be will be. Get yourself right with GOD through CHRIST JESUS. :v:t5:

3 Likes

He was not protesting. He was attacked by rioters.

He was from another town in Illinois about 20 miles away.

The rioters chased him, threw a molotov cocktail at him, and fired at him, it was self defenseā€¦ and the other two shootings also.

And all three shot had criminal records, and one was a felon, who had a firearm illegally.

Was it the best decision to be there? Perhaps not, but it was not illegal to be there.

3 Likes

No.

Going where you may be able to help, which might put you in proximity to rioters and terrorists, is a choice, good or ill, but it is legal.
Going does not mean you seek to fight.

If you remain in your home, you can not help those who are outside, or in the next town over, even if in another state.

Many people travel across state lines to assist after hurricanes and tornadoes.

Do you leave your house, armed with your firearm, seeking out a fight, or simply prepared to defend yourself as you go about your day at places you are legally allowed to be.

3 Likes

Extremely poor choice of words.

I will ask, should people always remain in their homes, and NOT assist othersā€¦ should we all remain in our own little towns and not help others?

Many go across state lines to assist after a hurricane or tornado. Should they refrain from doing so in the future to avoid being indicted on premeditated and reckless actions? Many go armed because of the crime after a hurricane or tornado.

He was chased, he was attacked, they threw a molotov cocktail at him, a lethal weaponā€¦ then fired a shot, and was lunging at him, before he turned and returned fire, shooting the first attacker in the headā€¦ and then he called 911.
He ran off as others came, trying to gain safety.
They attacked him in the street. The one jumped and kicked him in the head, which could have caused severe injury or death, or unconsciousness, such as the young man kicked in the head and knocked out ā€¦

And once unconscious, he might have been killed.

The next attacker hit him with a skate board which can be a lethal weapon, and he shot him in self defense, and the third, was a felon who had a hand gunā€¦ and he shot him once in the arm.

If we was reckless and seeking to do harm, he had ample opportunity, plenty of ammunition, and yet, he was restrained in his firing.

Interesting. The hate on for Rittenhouse, yet nothing about the rioters, the terrorists, the lawless mobs ā€¦ and all three of the shooting victims were criminals with recordsā€¦ one a pedophile and one with the handgun was a felon and not allowed to have a firearm.

His carrying of a rifle in Wisconsin and that charge may stick, but the murder charges should be dismissed.

2 Likes

He crossed state lines looking to ASSIST others.

If he was looking for a fight, he had ample opportunity, and he refrained from responding while being taunted, if he wanted to do harm, he could have done so.

He was chased, the rioters and terrorist threw a molotoc cocktail at him but missed, and then they shot at him , and that is when he turned and returned fire hitting the first one in the headā€¦ and he did call 911 afterwardsā€¦ and then ran off as more people arrived to seek safety, and then he was attacked again in the street, a kick that can be deadly and one who hit him with a skate board and he shot in self defense, killing the attacker, and the third, had a firearm ( a felon who was not legally allowed to have a firearm) and he shot him once, wounding him and ending that threatā€¦ and did not fire again, showing restraint even with the adrenalineā€¦

If was was looking for a fight, he would have continued to fire, and shot more people, and probably from a position of safety and defensible.

1 Like