Red dot VS. Iron sights on your carry firearm

So trying red dot you can find out how long TV may last. :laughing:
But seriously, you wonā€™t need to change battery for about 8 - 10 years.

2 Likes

I was taught three things, front sight, front sight, front sight!
Never tried red dot on handgun, but I would imagine it would skew my field of view! Especially with both eyes open.
What could possibly go wrong, reflections, refractions or aberrations? Or targets unseen by blocked view.
As far as Iā€™m concerned those red circles represent possible innocent bystanders that are blocked.
I can just hear the prosecutions forensics witness question. ā€œIn regards to a handgun, Is it possible that the view was blocked by the ring of the red dot sightā€? Answer, ā€œOf course it was blockedā€! No further questions!

4 Likes

This. Was going to write Iā€™ve trained myself well with both options given and am comfortable carrying with either. But I fire at least one magazine each range session using a pick up, point and shoot one round @ 10 yds quickly using no sights. I am also of the camp a true self defense situation will not allow time to align iron sights and even RDS will be iffy. Iā€™d much rather know I have a fighting chance if I canā€™t rely on sights, regardless of style.

4 Likes

Iā€™m all for new technology but itā€™s something about irons that makes it a challenge and keeps it pure!

6 Likes

I am 73yo my eyes are not what they uses to be! Red dot all the way!

8 Likes

Answer: ā€œOf course those areas were not blocked. The accused appears to have two functioning eyes and there is no evidence s/he failed to use them. The areas blocked to the dominant eye would be plainly visible to the subordinate eye. Guess we should have talked about your theory sooner.ā€
Examiner: ā€œOh. Your Honor, I move to strike the testimony of my expert witness.ā€

3 Likes

Iā€™ll stick with iron sights. Wuth my eyes sight I find it hard to find the damn red dot a lot of the time but I can always find the iron sights and my target. Even as my eyes degrade with age I can still hold a tight group in center mass.

3 Likes

Red Dot in the middle of the night. Allows quicker alignment to the target in any, except the brightest sunlight.

4 Likes

Hey @Lab4Us . All true. We train to what your body does naturally not train to force your body to do something unnatural.

Case in point, there was a young man in Wisconsin recently that video shows he was in 3 different DCIs over the course of a very short time. When you watch the videos you can see that he was at close range (CQ from on the ground and on his back) and did not use sighted fire for any of the self defense incidents. All appear to be unsighted fire (not to be confused with blindly firing his firearm). If he had taken 1 or even 2 seconds to sight his target in, it could very well have cost him his life. Also a note, words matter, he never refired to his firearm as a ā€œweaponā€, and only on a few occasions used the term ā€œgunā€, otherwise he used the term ā€œfirearmā€.

3 Likes

Roger that (firearm vs weapon). I will say though, if I had three life threatening incidents in a short time, outside of law enforcement or high target security, Iā€™d be rethinking where Iā€™m hanging out. Granted we should be able to go anywhere and do anything peaceful anywhere in America, but thatā€™s not the realityā€¦unfortunately.

4 Likes

One option to consider if you donā€™t want the minor bulk of a red dot and your eyes are getting older one day at a time is Crimson Trace. They have a CT laser grip for my EDC that is adjustable and reliable thus far. My iron sight are not affected in any way. Great product.

3 Likes

I did not find that a satisfactory solution for myself. Yes, the laser grips are a slick package and donā€™t require holster changes. Yes, they hit pretty close to the dot if properly zeroed. For night time, indoors, cloudy weather, and on simple targets at the range I thought they were pretty quick at ten yards or less.

But outdoors in daylight where I spend most of my time; against complex targets and backgrounds; especially beyond rock-throwing range; it was easy for the projected dot to be too dim or lost against backgrounds. The fact that it pretty much worked at the range made me concerned about being lazy in practice and getting dull on the iron sights. In the end, I didnā€™t think the give-up was worth the gain. Having wonderful G-10 grip scales ends up being more important to me than a ā€œmaybeā€ sight aid.

Once I get my skill set up to snuff with a red dot, it clearly will be the best night sight, and the best longer range sight, and Iā€™m hoping at least as good at the more common defensive distances and circumstances. For me, anyway.

3 Likes

In my humble opinion I donā€™t add anything to or take anything away from my EDC save for a few non-functioning or non-performance-enhancing cosmetics. In the (hopefully never) event I have to use it I donā€™t want to give a prosecutor ANY additional ammo (pardon the pun) to use against me. This includes optics. Night/low light sights are okay if they come stock but I personally would not add and electronics for the above stated reason.

3 Likes

Same with eight-track tape players.

3 Likes

eight-track tapes were greatā€¦ BEACH BOYSā€“1977.

3 Likes

So true! LOL :laughing:

2 Likes

40 plus years with iron but willing to try.

2 Likes

I prefer green laser for self defense. When shooting from awkward positions simply place grn dot on Target. One may not be able to raise gun up to eye level

3 Likes

Yes, that and certain shooting from cover situations are advantages only a projected laser can offer ā€” if lighting and distance cooperate.

Greens and yellows are not very prominent to my eyes against most backgrounds, except in darkness when white would be about as good for me. Except at night, the widespread move from safety orange #FF7900 to chartreuse #7FFF00 signs/vests/markers has not been helpful in catching my daytime attention. Floruescent red-orange remains my front sight of choice. Swim your own best stroke.

2 Likes

I have switched to a red dot sight. Itā€™s just better.

RE: Obscuring vision downrange, I find the iron sight does more of that. It doesnā€™t take much distance until the size of that front sight obscures the target/threat. Many use a ā€œdrive the dotā€ aim which means literally the objective is to cover up what you are aiming at with the front sight. And the rear sights block view downrange too. In all cases, I have trained to shoot both eyes open so I should have a decent field of view.

Not having to align the sights is a big deal. There is no sight alignment, sight picture, front sight focus with target blurry (if we are worried about whatā€™s downrange, are we not worried about that threat and surroundings being blurry as we are focused on that front sight?)ā€¦there is instead, with a read dot, a target focus, and the red dot itself is so small it does not obscure anything (and you can kind of see through it).

Back it up with iron sights just in case, and use one with a very long battery life (years) as well as solar backup, and these things are darn reliable.

Nearly everybody has accepted them on rifles and carbines and even shotguns for awhile now, I donā€™t see why handguns should be any different, now that the technology is there.

The USCCA Protector Academy has a good course on red dot sights on handguns, I think itā€™s worth the watch if you have that access.

Itā€™s a change for sure, Iā€™ve been carrying an iron sighted handgun daily for about 17 years and just recently made the switch. But, I consider it to be forward progress.

3 Likes