Red dot VS. Iron sights on your carry firearm

Welcome to the family brother @Thomas522 and you are blessed to be here.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Warren45 and you are in the right place at the right time.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve shot irons for a long time, but Iā€™ve slowly converted to mainly red dot sights (rds). The main advantage to me is that the rds is designed so that you are target focused with a single point aiming system instead of front sight focused on a two point system. Tracking and target transition are faster for me personally and distance shooting is significantly easier to be accurate imo. It was a challenge to catch the dot off draw for me initially, but it actually improved my consistency in my draw as I worked with it. I found that I had become a little relaxed in my draw stroke and that I was correcting inconsistencies with grip and alignment on my push out by grabbing my sights in my peripheral and correcting on the way to target. I canā€™t really do that with the rds so I had to focus and clean up my full draw.

As with almost anything worth doing, the rds takes some dedicated practice to really figure out and there are pros and cons to take into consideration. For me, the pros outweigh the cons. I do always have a co-witness set of irons on my carry gun in case something were to malfunction and I believe anyone who wants to use a rds should learn irons as well.

The main thing, as mentioned by several in this thread, is to make sure you train with your equipment and are proficient with and confident in what you carry

6 Likes

Idk about red dots what what about trutium night sights? Not much discussion here on that option. Iā€™m interested in putting those on my S&W 9Easy.

4 Likes

God Bless you too Johnnyā€¦
Thank you for the kind welcome!
Iā€™m proud / and I sleep better being a member of the USCCA Family!
And
God Bless America Pictures, Photos, and Images for ...
Richard581ā€¦Pilotone440

4 Likes

Tritium a step up from stock sights on most guns imoā€¦I like that they allow me to know where my bedside gun is in the dark. Guy at the club had a set on his G21, and two tritium inserts were missing. Forgot what brand, but may have been tru-glo. I have 8 sets, various brands including meprolight and tru-glo, no issue over 2-6 years now on 9mm and .45 acp pistols.

9 Likes

My real eyes are kind of starting to fail on the irons, so Iā€™ve started on that path. But it is definitely not something one can just ā€œpick up and doā€. It requires learning a more perfect presentation than irons (and Iā€™m not quite sure yet what makes more perfect recoil recovery).

Feels like developing proficiency might be quicker for me than originally learning iron sights a half century ago, but I expect at least months of skill development to be ready for EDC. I love what the red dot does for my precision at longer distances, but I need to get the speed and reliability down at closer range.

If you donā€™t need it and donā€™t want it, then donā€™t do it. But donā€™t wait too long to get started when it turns out that you do need to learn a different sighting system.

4 Likes

I have them on every carry-suitable pistol. The tritium capsules work, but they are dimmer than you might expect ā€” until itā€™s too dark to identify a target. Also takes my brain a while to organize a sight picture with dim dots in a dim setting. So, a plus in my opinion ā€” but not even close to a magic solution. I have gotten more benefit from a high visibility front sight (i.e. large fluorescent red or green depending on what your eyes see best).

Red dot seems closer to magic ā€” day or night, but another learning curve.

2 Likes

While I :kissing_heart: be holographic sights on rifles, Iā€™ve been less than enthusiastic about them on EDC weapons for ONE reason: the lens is a DUST/LINT MAGNET!

7 Likes

Iron sights for my P365.

However, Iā€™m considering carrying with a red dot for my Glock 19. Will need to add suppressor sights and train with it first.

3 Likes

When a friend bought an H&K some years ago I was quite impressed with the three dots. Since then I have switched to TruGlo tritium, recently had my Trigicon vials replaced on my 4566, and have a set of TruGlo TFX I really like. The fiber optic really jumps out in daylight, and the tritium allows a good sight picture in low light. Have an Eotech on a mini 14, only dot I own. I guess growing up with irons I did not feel comfortable looking for the dot when point and shoot will most likely be the case with CQB. To everyone that masters the red and green dots I applaud you, just not my thing.

5 Likes

I have both mounted on my ā€œBlack Rifleā€ā€¦ Ahhhā€¦ ā€œAssault Rifleā€ā€¦ Ahhhā€¦ AR-15 :slight_smile: and I use them both under different circumstances. (I always try to keep in mind: ā€œ2 is 1 & 1 is noneā€) Plus: I carry spare batteries for the Red Dot.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve carried 1911s mostly from the mid 70s and exclusively the last 6 or 7 . Added high definition tritium and Crimson Trace laser grips at that time . I can point shoot across the room into the 5 ring easily and zero in with the others quickly if I need to hit finer . The laser is checked while in the holster every time I pick it up for carry . Tried red dots , but too slow for me on pistols .
Chris

4 Likes

A shot or two from a can of compressed air once a week will fix that.

4 Likes

Iā€™d like to get more accurate with the iron sites first and then try the red dot. Then Iā€™ll decide which way works best for me.

5 Likes

@Bruce174 Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. :us:

3 Likes

I prefer iron sights. With the way the world is and if Sierra, Hotel, India, Tango hits the fan, you wonā€™t have time to change the battery, so best to become an expert with iron sights.

5 Likes

If your house catches fire you wonā€™t have time to change the batteries in your smoke alarm either. Thatā€™s why scheduled replacement twice a year is recommended.

All Iā€™m getting at in these last couple posts is there are ways to easily mitigate many reasons
people give for avoiding optics.

Canā€™t afford them, canā€™t find the dot, hard to carry in a pocket, irons are easier, etc, all reasonable reasons. Dust on the lens, batteries not so much.

4 Likes

Battery is not a problem with good red dot.
50k hrs of constant ON or 100k hrs lifespan is longer than LED TV.
(How often do you have to change TV?) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

I donā€™t watch tv. LOL

4 Likes