Question: Masks and Carrying in Michigan

Hello there I live in Michigan. Today our governor passed mandatory must wear a face mask. Question is I know you can’t wear a mask and carry a firearm. I called to state police to ask them but they have no idea what is going on with it.any info or help would be appreciated.

You can do both. I think it was discussed 2 months ago or so… If wear musk is MUST, you can wear it and carry.

I have been seeing people say that but the police haven’t Hurd anything like that yet

As far as I know, there is no federal law that prohibits wearing mask and carrying firearm.
States laws may say different, but I’ve heard whenever such law applied - it has been suspended for Covid19 time period.

We, Illinoisans are lucky, because we have been officially told we can carry the firearm and wear face mask same time. :muscle:

1 Like

I couldn’t find anything about Michigan… but if Georgia doesn’t have problem with this, I think Michigan should be ok as well :slightly_smiling_face:

Indiana law permits its residents to carry weapons, but there is no law on concealed carry. “Under the law, a mask does not interfere with the ability to carry,” a spokesperson for Gov. Eric Holcomb told on July 2.

Illinois State Police issued this statement after Gov. J. B. Pritzker signed an executive order in April mandating the use of face masks:
“The Governor’s Executive Order regarding the wearing of masks or protective facial coverings in public settings during this serious global pandemic was not intended to negatively impact permit holders under the Illinois Concealed Carry Act while legally carrying firearms. The Executive Order does not require or suggest that law enforcement should arrest or criminally charge conceal carry license permit holders for wearing protective masks while in public as long as they are complying with the other provisions of the Illinois Concealed Carry Act and are not committing any other violations of Illinois law.”

Georgia has an anti-mask law similar to North Carolina’s; it was passed in 1951 in response to Ku Klux Klan harassment. Gov. Brian Kemp suspended the law in April with an executive order specifying that the law “shall not apply to any person wearing ‘a mask, hood, or device by which any portion of the face is so hidden, concealed, or covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer’ if that person is wearing such device for the purpose of complying with the guidance of any healthcare agency or to prevent the spread of COVID-19.” Kemp’s press secretary, Cody Hall, confirmed that wearing a mask due to the COVID-19 pandemic won’t affect the ability to carry a weapon.

1 Like

Thank you for your help

@jbuell4186
Check this out:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/pandemic-protection-concealed-carry-with-a-face-mask/

@jbuell4186, check out the details on our reciprocity map:

You can find the details on the USCCA Reciprocity Map at
www.uscca.com/laws

We also direct you to other resources for additional information as we realize this is a very dynamic situation that can change by the day.

@jbuell4186

That’s honestly just a rumor. In Michigan the mask thing is an add on if you are committing a crime with your firearm. The law also says if you intend to, but good luck proving intent with a mask mandate going on.

FYI, I’m a fellow Michigander.

1 Like

Thank you everyone

1 Like

Hope you don’t mind I changed the title of your thread a bit for clarification, @jbuell4186!

1 Like