Protection of Property in Virginia

My wife and I own a 5 acre own a five acre horse farm about 40 miles outside of Washington, DC. I know we can protect ourselves and out son in our dwelling but would like to know what we can do to protect our horses and barns from outside threats (read mostly peaceful protesters) should they decide to come out this way as has been promised. Just trying to be prepared. We not only have an assortment of firearms but also an assortment of CO2 semi automatic pellet guns. Thanks.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and God bless you.

1 Like

Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome Bruce! Horses and barns? Security cameras, lights…patrols…dogs…gosh I am at a loss of ideas!
Pellet guns? Good for training, and as scott said may just pee them off. Check your states castle doctrine.

3 Likes

Scott52, Thanks. We are covered there. I realize pellet guns just aggravate one. We’ll see what transpires. When seconds count, the police can get here in minutes.

3 Likes

Virginia only covers the dwelling, not other property (like livestock) or my barns unless I am sleeping there. If it comes to that, it is an option.

3 Likes

No, Virginia is not Texas, so there is no legal right to defend property, even your horses. You do have a right to defend yourself when being robbed, but still not your property, such as stealing your horses or vehicles, etc. Virginia does not have a castle doctrine law, but neither do you have a legal requirement to retreat. I would not even remotely consider pellet or bb guns, or any other less lethal or non-lethal means in defense of property. It would still be assault, and still not a legal use of force to protect property.

As it is your property, as long as you do not brandish a firearm, you could still go outside carrying whatever arms you have available. That alone might be enough of a deterrent. You cannot threaten use of force, as that is also assault, since you have the means and ability to do so. If you are armed and you told them to leave, but they continued to advance upon you, are in fear of great bodily harm or death, and there is a force disparity, such as a group of young thugs, then you would have an argument for self-defense. Being so far from viable police assistance would also probably help your self-defense argument.

5 Likes

Dave, That is a concise cogent argument. I am able to open carry in Virginia on my property or not. That is a good idea. Keep an eye and ear out and if things get close and tense just go out and groom the horses or work on a tractor (both always need that) with a sidearm fully in sight. I was also thinking of a manure cannon (yes, it is a real thing) since while the ammo is not cheap, it is plentiful and always being replenished. Thanks mate.

3 Likes

Well, if you use it to spread manure on your farm, just be sure it is used where that is typically done. If you didn’t notice anyone illegally trespassing when it was discharged, no harm, no foul. Automatic water sprinklers are also acceptable, again, as long as they are being implemented where one would typically use them.

[Edit] Also, you should have no trespassing signs on your property, enough to cover typical egress points. I recall years ago being told that since I did not have them at every common egress point that it was not sufficient, even after telling the involved parties to stop trespassing. That does not make a lot of sense to me as trespassing is already illegal, sign or not. The other issue with trespassing is that the police need to witness it, even video is apparently not enough, as I had timestamped photos.

2 Likes

@Bruce57 Although it didn’t have anything to do with recent events in the news… four horses were needlessly shot and killed on a farm a few miles from me. Pretty sad… and no suspects still.
Stay safe.

3 Likes

This is civil war…just protect yourself brother. I’m here in Western Oregon (Commiland). I choose to be an American.

3 Likes

Hey brother. You and I need to get together and have a competition…who is more radical. God bless you and this great Christian Nation!

3 Likes

Motion sensor lighting infrared cameras to let you know inside your house what’s happening in the barn that way you can make the calculated decision if you need to go out to rescue the horses

2 Likes

We have had some of that here as well.

3 Likes

@Bruce57 - I lived in Fredericksburg Va for 50 years, it was a totally different state than
it is now. I agree with the motion lights to light the property. The only other thing that I
would recommend is cameras, you can get cameras on line pretty cheap. I recommend
cameras so that you can do away with the he said she said when the police show up.
You can show the officer the video and reinforce your position for your actions.

I would like to welcome you to our family, I wish you and your family the very best blessings.
Happy 4th of July. Mike - :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Please remember, this Community is about how to best defend yourself and your loved ones physically and legally. We do not advocate illegal behavior nor allow it to be advocated here.

This country is great. It was formed in part so that all may be for all free from religious persecution - no matter the religion or choice to not believe.

2 Likes

You get a barn? I only get a doghouse!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

The sad thing is, we have a right to property, and a right to acquire property, just as we have a right to life, liberty, and a right to self defense.

Too many laws.

Virginia does have open carry and shall issue concealed carry permits, even though the Constitution is our permit.

In rural areas, there are critters that might be a threat (not only two legged critters… four legged ones also) and carrying firearms on your own property is common.

3 Likes