Press Checks: Do you or don't you?

Only rarely, if I’ve been shooting or cleaning and am reholstering for carry. After that, I know there’s a round in the chamber…oh, and I drop a round of 45acp in the bore, release slide to lock, then insert full mag, so at that point I’ve already verified the chambered round. Aint gonna change unless trigger is pulled 9 times, nobody has access when it’s not on my person for carry.
Can see y some check lots, I just dont feel it necessary FOR ME.

Peace ya all

3 Likes

It may never happen, but extractors are not designed to jump over chambered rounds and can either break or bend on impact. If it breaks you will get one shot. If it bends, you are probably carrying an either an expensive hammer or a defective boomerang.

3 Likes

Can someone please expand on this?

Some (maybe most?) handgun manufactures recommend against loading a round directly into the chamber.

I believe it is due to the possibility of the extractor breaking or deforming as it slams over the immovable cartridge. There is likely less force involved when the extractor slides over a cartridge as it is being picked up from the magazine and moved into the chamber.

Edit to add: that in many designs the case slides up behind the extractor as it is picked up from the magazine so there is no force at all placed on it.

I always load a round into the chamber from the mag then pull out the mag and top it off. Except for my new shotgun where the manual specifically states that I can load a round directly in the chamber. But I did not buy the shotgun for defensive purposes so a broken extractor would not be a life or death disaster.

3 Likes

Extractor does ONE job only - grabs the case on the rim and pull it back from the chamber.
It never goes behind the case.
If you load the cartridge manually into the chamber and release the slide, extractor will have to pass the case’s rim to be in its proper position.

EDIT:
As @Shamrock posted - that’s a big chance to break extractor making it sliding over the rim.
There are some good gun manufacturers who setup good extractors… but still, it’s not a good idea to force it working opposite way.

2 Likes

Actually, when a round is loaded from the mag, as the cartridge moves up from the mag, the round gets seated with the rim behind the extractor; so during normal action the extractor never is behind the back end of the cartridge.

4 Likes

You are right. I had just added that correction to my post.

3 Likes

Thank you for filling in the gaps I left @Shamrock, @Jerzees, and @Dave17 :+1:

3 Likes

You are very welcome. We learn whole life.
I actually found this “extractor issue” not a long time ago during discussion about fixing “out of battery slide”.
Extractors in my RIA 1911 and M&P9 survived sliding over the case process… :relaxed:… but I decided to skip that procedure in the future… :no_mouth:

3 Likes

Thanks to @Gary_H @Jerzees @Dave17 @Shamrock

I have been schooled and that is a good thing!

2 Likes

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse here, but this is from my Springfield manual:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Honestly the only time that I do press check is first thing in the morning after I do my dry fire practice and I start carrying for the day. I will load my firearm drop the mag top the mag off and put the mag back in three press check. After that the only other time I sometimes do that is depending not eh drills I do at the range.

1 Like

When situation directs it to be checked. Holstering, if shooting and forgot how many rounds I have shot, mag check too.

2 Likes

If you don’t know if there is a round in the pipe that’s a problem. One of many reasons why revolvers are always first choice. :us:

1 Like

Vey good point. :us:

And that is why we do press check :slightly_smiling_face:
It is not a problem at all…

2 Likes

I respect, enjoy, and value everyone’s opinion. But, If your not sure of readiness of a firearm put a flag in it. If you don’t know that arm is loaded that is a problem to me. If you are unsure of your actions do the press check. Works for you.
PS: once you press the action open to peeky weekly that action may not go into
Full battery lock up to fire. That [ MIGHT NEVER HAPPEN ] but be the first on your block to know. OH BOY HERE WE GO, HOLD ON.~~~~~~~🇺🇸
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

It is part of firearm safety to verify its status before administrative handling. This would be when readying a firearm for cleaning; on initial loading, to ensure a round was chambered; handling someone else’s firearm; upon entering or right before entering a gun range, etc., etc. This not done after you have loaded and holstered your handgun, nor any other time that does not require one to chamber or make safe a firearm. Yes, a chamber flag does work, but not for when one is dry-firing or cleaning the firearm.

[Edit] In none of those times does it remotely suggest that one does not know the status of the firearm, only that one needs to verify its status.

Thanks, every ones opinion is Appreciated.
:us:

1 Like