Press Checks: Do you or don't you?

Every time I pick the gun up, either to holster it or to put it away, or pass to or receive it from another person. I do not know the “condition” until I have personally checked it. I didn’t get to be 72 by taking this for granted.

3 Likes

“I’m old for a reason, boy!”

2 Likes

Happy Anniversary @45IPAC . The Community is lucky to have you.

Another slice of anniversary cake!!! Nice to have you @45IPAC

1 Like

When I load/make ready of if I have been away from the pistol.

2 Likes

@Steve166
Welcome to the Community. I’m glad we have more USCCA Employees here :muscle:

Thanks @Virgil_H and @Fizbin . I’m glad I can contribute. I’m also glad I can learn from others.

1 Like

Welcome, @Steve166!

There is never an excuse for “I thought it was unloaded”

4 Likes

Also relevant: Explaining to St. Peter, “I thought it was loaded.”

3 Likes

Welcome @Steve166

I see no reason to press-check if the weapon is under my 24/7 control. It is completely unnecessary. If you want to remain overly “careful” and handle/re-handle your firearm every day, that’s up to you - it should not be gospel for everyone else, IMO.

1 Like

I have read a number of places that a press check can cause “bullet setback”. Could someone please explain to me how this can happen?

I understand if a cartridge is ejected and then reloaded repetitively from a magazine then bullet setback can occur because the front of the bullet is striking the feed ramp over and over as it is directed into the chamber. However, once in the chamber it would seem if a press check is going to cause bullet setback, then leaving a cartridge chambered would also cause bullet setback over time. My contention is the bullet does not strike the feed ramp during a press check, so how could this possibly cause bullet setback?

Has this been discussed before and I missed it?

In such case there is either bad quality ammo or press check done by person with visual impairment.

Properly done press check doesn’t cause anything to the bullet.
Your arguments are correct.

My only thought is that it could happen when somebody is slamming slide back after seeing the brass in the chamber.

2 Likes

Agree. One other issue mentioned is that the slide might not fully close after pulling it back slightly, causing a FTF. That is one of the reasons some people like having a chamber window or a loaded chamber indicator.

2 Likes

If you have a firearm under your constant control and do not know if there is a round in the chamber or how many rounds are in the magazine you should not carry or handle firearms!

The reason for chamber checks has zero to do with that. It is part of firearm safety when you are administratively handling a firearm to verify its state, to ensure that it is, in fact, not loaded or is loaded, if that is what you want. We hear about people claiming that they did not know that a firearm was loaded as an excuse for NDs. The only way to ensure that it is unloaded is to visually inspect it. That is why once it is loaded and holstered, one does not touch the firearm, unless it is absolutely necessary to do so. A firearm will not discharge or unload itself while in a holster.

1 Like

Not exactly the truth…
Have you ever been at the range or class and been destructed by others? That’s one of dozens moments you need a press check.

Some people unload their EDC handgun coming back home, before putting into the safe. Don’t you do press check to see if all is good before you put the firearm back on your hip?

BTW… welcome to the Community ! :handshake:

1 Like

Welcome to the community. I believe there might be a difference in perspective regarding your post.

The Press Check is a simple and practical way to confirm your equipment is ready. If someone has a weapon that does not provide alternative confirmation of a round in the chamber it is a maneuver that may be performed when the weapon status has changed.

I don’t see this as a repetitive procedure but confirmation if the weapon has changed status. Out of a safe or lockbox. Laid on a shooting bench with attention diverted and very possibly others.

Once the weapon is holstered there should be no reason to recheck until its status has changed.

I think you would agree that there is a time and place for the press check but it should not be a reflex behavior or done unnecessarily.

I am slightly OCD but checking and rechecking for a chambered round is not necessary. IMO

3 Likes

Some have more than one EDC that rotate at various intervals. Between rotations EDC(s) might be used for dry fire, draw, and/or magazine swap training. Therefore it is prudent to drop the magazine and press check to verify load condition prior to either more dry fire training or self defense carry. It would suck to plan to dry fire train and it’s loaded, or carry for self defense and it’s loaded with snap caps.

4 Likes