Possible Legal Issue

Well… things got ugly last night. Admittedly, I had a bit too much vodka. It all started when I tried to get Alexa to activate my security system. I said “Alexa turn me on” (by mistake). Alexa took offense and a heated argument ensued. Then she wouldn’t respond verbally. But she set and locked my Nest thermostat at 50 degrees, announces every 5 minutes that I have a Amazon Prime delivery at my door, and… randomly plays Bobby Vinton songs at full volume through my entire sound system. The worst part? I received a call from Amazon Customer Support a few hours ago that Alexa has filed a restraining order against me. I told them I expect her to refrain from her retaliatory actions. They said they would escalate it to their second tier support.
I hate Mondays.

23 Likes

Dude! Not to laugh at your misfortune but :grimacing::face_with_monocle::joy:
Ok, that wasn’t a real thing was it? just checking… :grimacing:

3 Likes

Question is why would any sane man invite a woman who only talks into their nest? I just don’t understand 21st century men!

3 Likes

That is hilarious, @TexasEskimo! Especially since I just ordered an echo dot over lunch! My current Alexa has selective hearing :rofl:

4 Likes

@Dawn I have an Ehco and 3 Dots. At night when they start talking to each other I hide under my sheets. Freaky.

5 Likes

On a more serious note I have to ask if those devices an be used to listen in on your private life?

3 Likes

@Michael7 I hope so, or I would consider it to be a warranty issue.

3 Likes

They do listen in, but aren’t supposed to record anything. I feel sorry for anyone who has to listen to my life :rofl: They’re going to hear a lot of typing, dogs barking, conversations about guns, asking what’s for dinner…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-10/is-anyone-listening-to-you-on-alexa-a-global-team-reviews-audio

In marketing materials Amazon says Alexa “lives in the cloud and is always getting smarter.”

Have we seen the start of Skynet? :thinking:

7 Likes

@TexasEskimo Things are always stressful around the holidays… just lay low and surprise Alexa with a new data plan on Valentines Day. :innocent:

4 Likes

Some of the new phones have Alexa built into them.

Just to prove a point, the other day the son left his phone on the counter while he was off elsewhere… so spent a good 30 minutes talking about diamonds, engagement rings, wedding venue, etc… Within the hour his FB feed was full of it. LMAO… Told him to talk to his phone about power tools for an hour and it should reset. LOL

4 Likes

@MarkinMT From what I have heard, that sounds much more like a Google phone app than Alexa. Though she has lied to me before.

3 Likes

That is hilarious, @MarkinMT!! I may have to try that … but probably not with engagement rings :wink:

3 Likes

Well it was not my first thought… although it worked awesome.

His phone is not one of the Alexa ones, so no, not that. He does have FB on there, and that is what was/is listening. I have repeated that a few times on phones with FB on them. I do not run FB on my phone, or any social media for that matter. I do use FB for a few things, in a locked down web browser, with FB fenced.

The other day, my partner, who runs FB on her phone, was chatting with someone who was looking for a new mattress… yep, her feed then filled with mattresses… LOL

Anyway, dragged off topic. It was fun though.

3 Likes

Sounds like a great way to drop some hints for Christmas/B-day gifts! Genius!!!

2 Likes

@Michael7 According to hackers they are hackable

1 Like

Anything electronic is hackable. Anything.

4 Likes

Oh I see David, I understand

1 Like

Last time I told this to Alexa she gave me this:

Looks she likes me more :wink::sweat_smile:

Not in my house they don’t :face_with_monocle:

This is kinda how that would go at my house…
images%20(1)

13 Likes

I’m happy to be old school and live in peace with my camera eye covered on my laptop, hackable I know. Bring back the days of the rotary telephone, or maybe the beginning days of “touch tone”: peace on earth, good will toward men! I loathe the time when 5G enters singularity, it will be fast…Yeshua help us, :slight_smile: Anyone else know how to write a letter > in script?

1 Like