Pieces Parts

Just ordered this for my AR. I’ve been wanting to add a light and this looks pretty good and it’s $30 off so why not :slight_smile: …nevermind the 5 other flashlights I added to the order :grimacing::shushing_face:

I also got an Arisaka Mlok offset scout mount to replace the picatinny mount it comes with for a closer attachment.
https://arisakadefense.com/collections/light-mounts-1/products/offset-scout-mount-m-lok

What pieces parts have you purchased or received lately?

4 Likes

I’ve never used olight, but I’ve heard good things about them. I have streamlights on all my stuff.

This little microstream usb has absolutely changed my life. It’s the handiest flashlight that I’ve ever owned.
The funny thing is, i bought it by accident. I was expecting a larger flashlight. It was a wonderful mistake.

2 Likes

Streamlight is great also. I have a couple of them too. I think a AAA model. So handy and it’s amazing how much you find you need a flashlight when you carry one.

5 Likes

Brother I know how you feel when your waiting for gun parts to be delivered in the mail. You hang out by the door waiting for the mail man . I ordered 2 sets of sights recently for my M&Ps Night Fision and Ameriglos and when I finally got them installed I was so happy.

3 Likes

All of my firearm lights are surefire since all their products are made in the USA. Not sure where the light you are looking at was made and have no experience with it, but especially these last couple months I have been paying more and more attention to that.

4 Likes

Lol exactly. Let’s put it this way…my boxer/shepherd mix sits by the front window all day looking out and gets super excited when a delivery person comes to the house. She learned that from me! :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m with you 100%. I’m definitely buying more american made products lately. I would love surefire but just nowhere in the budget.

1 Like

Love olight! I have many of their edc pocket lights and pistol lights, with and without lasers. :+1:
For me personally, the only thing that has held me back from there new models is I don’t like “rechargable” systems. (Just my opinion) what happens when, your in the field/range/training class and the charge runs out? I always carry extra 123a batteries with me somewhere that is close to me just in case.
The other thing that I am not crazy about, is do you need to remove the light to charge it? (Which I am not crazy about taking things on and off my platform, once I have them set) or do you have to charge your ar next to the the closest outlet?
Now all that said I am a HUGE fan of olight,:+1: I guess I am old school and would rather change the batteries then plug in.
Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Cool, that’s good feedback. Yeah I was on the fence too because of the charging system. I found the charging cable below which should allow me to charge the battery when removed from the light. I’ll test, confirm, and report back.

I agree, if you’re out and about it’s a better option to have a spare set of lithium or alkaline batteries. I’ll purchase one or two spare batteries and keep them charged in a case in my rifle bag.

1 Like

Yo that is funny brother.

1 Like

USA made is a strong preference for me, but I factor lots of variables in these types of choices. If you want a USA made weapon light, your choices are Surefire and Modlite and… I think thats it? Olight is made in China, Streamlight is made in China. These days if you cut China-made 100% out of your lifestyle you cant buy anything. I do strongly support USA made though wherever I can, cost be darned. Off-topic, but guys like originmaine.com make amazing jeans and boots (i got some pre-covid).

Surefire is literally bombproof, and if I were going to battle overseas and bang it on rocks all day thats likely what I’d pick (or ModLite). But to go on a rifle that will sit mostly in a safe, see range use, and maybe a few classes the money saved goes towards ammo or food/rent and I am confident they will turn on when needed.

Also, as an aside… Modlite is making an FDE version of their PLHv2 that is SERIOUSLY calling to me, but my wallet cant take the hit right now.

I too was on the side of disposable batteries for a long time, and mostly still am. However, I am coming around to the idea. For me, it is just a todo-list item every year to check (really replace) all the weapon light batteries and I know 100% that those batteries will run strong when needed. Most of my lights use disposables.

However, having had Olight’s magnetic charging system for a while and running their EDC lights a lot I have grown a lot of faith in them.

First, older rechargables used to drain (a lot) over time. There was a very real risk you’d pick up that light and it has only half a battery left when you need it most. Newer lithium-ion (and specifically Olight branded) only loose like 5% per year max (I dont have the source handy as I write this, if I find it I will edit this post). So you could leave it fully charged in your rifle in a safe all year round, not worry about it and maybe top it off once a year, just like I replace old batteries once a year. The cost savings in just one year is notable (if you have a lot of lights :smiley:)

The second thing is something I read online which gave me pause… I have a small stash of batteries, but it requires me to go buy more every few years. Right now, the batteries are common enough (mostly 123A or 2032 watch batteries) that you can find online easily and even in a lot of big box stores, sometimes even a convenience store. In a true SHTF scenario, if you use lights a lot you will quickly burn through your stash and not be able to replenish them (because the S done HTF). So if you have a rechargeable light you can recharge via the power grid (if its still up), OR any of the numerous power banks (the kind that charge your cell-phone), USB power off of laptops, AND (the best for last) solar recharging.

Since you only need to charge it once a year or after you use it (for a class/range trip) it almost doesn’t matter where you put the charger. I would not take the light off the rifle, you can leave it on and the mag will connect right to it (you may have to remove the switch if you are using one). If you put it in the safe, you can probably jury rig a portable power bank to attach within reach of the rifle.

The best case is you have a light that accepts both rechargable and disposable batteries, but outside of Surefire DuelFuel and Streamlight’s HL-X I don’t know that is very common. Rechargeables like 18650 and 21700 also have so much more power available to increase brightness, runtime, and often both.

2 Likes

Great feedback. That’s a really good point about the availability of the non-recharchable batteries if supply chains get limited for lithium 123’s.

1 Like

Mlok to Picatinny rail, 1000 lumen Olight and red/green dot.

2 Likes

I also have an inforce light not one of the choices.

You need to add ModLite, Inforce, Crimson… Other, and of course… ALL :smiley:

2 Likes

Agreed, I left out too many major brands. I’ve removed the poll and will create a new post with a poll that includes more options. :+1:

2 Likes

Hey brother I wonder if you could mount the helmet lights worn on the battlefield on a firearm or long gun.:thinking:

2 Likes

With some creative use of duct tape you can mount anything to anything :wink:

2 Likes

indeed! :smiley:

1 Like

I hear you brother @Harvey and have a blessed day.:joy:

2 Likes