Patches in a Pinch

This isn’t a new idea - the next time you go shopping, look for cotton “squares” and/or “rounds” for patches. They come in stacks of 80/more in re-sealable bags, smooth/quilted - and a helluvalot cheaper than brands. If you use Otis, there’s no reason that you can’t use an Otis patch as a template to make your own slotteds. FYI

3 Likes

I keep all the cotton t-shirts and cotton long john top and bottoms that wear out.
They make great wipe down rags and patches, especially for shotguns.
Also watch at Thrift Stores and Dollar/fifty Stores for packs of cotton washrags and dish towels. :+1:

6 Likes

I make my own. Old t-shirts,towels, what have you and a pair of scissors. I cut them square because i can’t make a good circle. Need more practice. Thinking of doing a search on line for “large circle cutters” and see what comes up.

3 Likes

Paper towels work pretty good for pistols. Never tried them in a rifle, probably a bad idea there.

Oh, and if you are sure you are in a gun friendly hotel, ask them if they have any worn out towels you can have to clean your guns. This worked great for me and a friend one evening in Texas.

1 Like

Ummm Richard , you can push a square patch thru a round hole. Just saying. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Todd30 >>Don’t use Maggie’s drawers for patches <<

1 Like

ONE OF THESE WILL GO A LONG WAY >>>
https://youtu.be/ZPTlzb0T_8E. << click here <<

1 Like

WORKS FOR ME > I keep wipe down and cleaning rags in a zip lock bag it stopes them from drying out and contaminating other things. I also keep oily rags in a air tight container. Different products coming in contact with each other has caused spontaneous combustion.
Put a spring water bottle over the muzzle of a rifle barrel to catch solvent and patches ( specially foam solvent ) When your done put the cap on and use again until filled.

2 Likes

Sure can. Use a proper caliber jag, soak the patch and push it through the barrel. If you use a patch holder, same thing except cut the patch small enough so the “tips” of the square fall into the hollow behind the orifice but in front of the shoulder of the holder.

1 Like