Brass jags?

Guess I’m getting old. Looking at a cleaning kit on Amazon and it says it has brass jags for all calibers. What in the world are those and how are they used?

Link??

Something like these? You use them on a cleaning rod to push a small cloth patch through the bore. More efficient than using a patch in a traditional “loop” attachment.

4 Likes
1 Like

Yeah, something like those.

Thanks

1 Like

@William191 Me thinks the brass jags have been around much longer then you. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Only going by what dad taught me in the 60s. Take the cotton patch, fold it, put Hoppies on patch and run it through til clean. Changing patches every cpl passes. Guess that’s what the Army taught him in the 50s.

4 Likes

Yup, I have a shotgun rod from my Grampa that is just wood, I still use it. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My latest is carbon fiber…dang, I’m moving up in the world.

2 Likes

We have an old Kentucky squirrel rifle, I think, still in the family my uncle has it. Have a pic of my great, great grand father holding it. He had a beard down to his belly, lol

2 Likes

My kid has a beard down to his belly. Some things never change. Jet black, think he conceals his AR in there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
His is a reaction to 5 years of “high and tight.” Out for 3 years now, hasn’t touched a pair of scissors

3 Likes

@William191 >> imo. This type of jags will hold patches better, especially if you short stroke ( back and forth short strokes full length down the bore ). Get a set of sizes you think you’ll need to include bench rest
( nylon Bore brushes ). Get a good Dewey cleaning rod for 22 caliber that
Way you can use it for any larger caliber except 17. The popular size
is 8/32 thread size…
PS: get

• Bore guide
  • ATF ( automatic transmission fluid ) for general fire arm lubrication.
    Its inexpensive and will last years. You don’t need expensive snake
    oil if you do I can sell you some.
  • It’s very helpful to have needle point applicators for your different fluids.
  • never use excessive force pushing a jagged patch in a bore, they can
    really get stuck.
  • always remove all solvent and oil from the chamber.
    ** bing bang boom. Works for me ( don’t shoot the Messenger )

You want to move in the world? Try these

2 Likes

In my EKY vernacular, a jag means a short hop ways down the road.

3 Likes

My sister is a JAG and drives a jag…in navy blue, of course.

3 Likes

Scroll up a bit, did you see what I posted :question:
Did you see the word jag.
Also Mr
. Bruce put some stuff there too so you could move.
If you going to be a difficult student it might be easier for me to teach you how to play the violin after you buy the snake oil

That’s an expensive solution. If I run out of old t-shirts, fabric store remnants are inexpensive.

1 Like

Always wanted a XKE but I just got a new Cadillac. I hope this whose who thing Works out or I might get a visit from the repo man.

1 Like

Claim down dude. Yes I did see what you posted and thank you. If I hurt your feelings there is a form you can fill out posted in another thread here. Just be aware, the form might get stamped candyass.

Only talking to another poster about what I thought was a short interesting side topic.

1 Like

Lol…yeah, I was looking for matching socks today. What I found was a pile of future patches.

1 Like