Open carry speed vs concealed carry tactical advantage

What are some thoughts on this please

2 Likes

My initial thought is that if you get into a gun fight on the street you have already screwed up somewhere. IMHO open carry has limited applicability in an urban/suburban environment if you have the option to carry concealed. In other words it draws unwanted attention. Unless you are the victem of a random drive by shooting you will already know the situation is going south and can take proactive steps to get your weapon into the game prior to the actual engagement if concealed. If open carrying the bad guy already knows you have a gun and doesn’t care in which case again you are now behind because as a law abiding citizen you have to evaluate if it is a good shoot or not and then get into the game.

Personally I’d rather the advantage of surprise and be a 1/4 second slower.

Cheers,

Craig6

18 Likes

The advantage of open carry is a speed advantage, although that may or may not be that significant and deterrence. The disadvantage is the enemy will know you are armed and can take advantage of that knowledge.
Concealed carry may be slightly slower but there is an advantage of surprise.
Both speed and surprise are tactical advantages. The question really becomes an issue of law and personal preference. Laws may dictate how you carry and you may develop a preference one way or another.

15 Likes

For me, I prefer surprise. My concealed to shot on target is under 1.5 seconds. Only time I open carry is range day and that’s for deterrence, as my left hand may be full with a $5,000 rifle.

5 Likes

I guess another aspect of open carry is safety. To really keep an open carry firearm safe from theft is going with a level 3 holster (just look at Phoenix PD looking for man who stole gun from McDonald's cutsomer - YouTube this video from 4 years ago).

2 Likes

Ill take the surprise of concealed. Couple that with situational awareness. If you notice something going south, you would already be looking for cover, ushering family to safety, etc. As for speed, no draw from concealment, or open Carry is as fast as a gun in the hand.

4 Likes

I have done both. Initially when I started carrying 15 years ago, I open carried as I did not have my CCW yet and Arizona had not become a constitutional carry state allowing concealed carry without a permit yet. I wasn’t as comfortable carrying open as I was more aware of the glares I received and was more mindful about bumping the firearm, knocking it into something when coming around a corner, etc. Plus, I just didn’t like the fact that my firearm was in the open. I always had this stupid paranoid thought a bad guy/girl would attempt to sneak up from behind and attempt to get my gun. Stupid, I know, but I was much younger and just wasn’t used to carrying. Once I got my CCW, I felt much more comfortable once I was able to find a firearm and holster that fit me. Fast forward to the present day and I legally conceal carry everywhere I can without thinking twice about it. I prefer the element of surprise. I train regularly and can go from draw to target in just under 2 seconds. Granted, in an open carry situation, I am slightly quicker, but I prefer the element of surprise. I do not wear any 2A clothing and nothing that signifies I am a gun owner/carrier other than the all black hat with my gray and black American flag on it that I wear on occasion. I like to look like an average white male just going about my day.
When I do notice someone carrying open, I do hone right in on it and evaluate the person from head to toe. If I am doing it, that means others are aware of it as well. Since there is a social stigma in some instances in some groups about it, I prefer to not make myself stand out from the crowd. I want to appear as that sheep in the heard, that silent sheep dog, which gives me a greater element of surprise.

6 Likes

I like to keep a low profile. I started with open carry before my state had concealed. I have had zero people acknowledge my carrying concealed. Cant say the same for open carry.
I’m also of the mindset that I should see the threat comming. In all honesty, i’m pretty sure my mental hesitation would be far more detrimental than a slower draw.

2 Likes

I prefer element of surprise, so CC is better for me. As Illinoisan I do not have other option, but even I’d move to OC State, I will still keep my firearm concealed.

3 Likes

@ThatGuy
Not paranoid or stupid at all!
There are a lot of unwise people in the world. Some of them are dumb enough to try and grab a Leo’s gun. Then they are sure to flash thire Mensa club card an try to take yours. The element of surprise is very valuable.

2 Likes

Depends on the sistuation. I go between both. I open carry on the streets. Depending on the store I enter, unless posted you cannot carry, which I advoid, I’ll conceal carry. Bigger box stores like Wal-Mart I would conceal. More room to hide and get a vantage point if need be. Also, more people in the store brings higher chance of a busybody getting miffed and going to a manager. Smaller store, open carry.

3 Likes

Realistically both the mrs and I tend to flip/flop on this topic. Most of the time we carry concealed, just dont have the energy to explain answers to questioners, gawkers, etc. If were lived in a town, such as Cody, WY, where many open carry…that is a way of life. Concealed? Nobody knows, and nobody “NEEDS” to know. Idaho is a permitless carry state, use it or lose it.

Another cute story…took the mrs pickup to our local, friendly, Ford store…the mrs may potentially have some firearm stickers in her back window,…, and always have some of their staff wanting to discuss firearms, training, ammo, and such. Even the young 20 year old that gave me a ride spoke of the same subject.

We get kick out of questions…
How many rounds do you have? A. Enough to scare most people.
Do you carry a spare firearm? A. Spare tire is available.
Sometimes if I imprint…what is that, are you ok? A. My colostomy bag, want to touch it?
Can i borrow your knife? A. Which one?
How often do you go to the range? A. I pee a lot when I drink a bunch of coffee.
How many rounds do you shoot when training? A. Enough to scare most people.
What kind of targets do you use? A. Paper plates, they are cheap.
What area do you hunt? A. Everywhere.
Are you guys hunting this year? A. Does a bear sh$$$$t in the woods?
What caliber do you use? A. Many, whatever the pipe drinks.
Do you have an assault rifle? A. Have a “bug a salt” , keeps the flies off my burger.
Have you built an AR? A. Adjusted the sights on our “bug a salt.” Not very accurate.

3 Likes

I second that motion…concealed, you have the eliminate of surprise…open carry the bad guy knows who you are, he may try to take you out first.

4 Likes

Open carry means everyone knows what you have, the bad guy knows who to take out first, and if the bad guy wants to steal it, they may get the drop on you.

1 Like