One-hand shooting much?

That’s the sign of a bad grip. Usually non dominant hand is weaker and shooters can experience hitting themselves by their own casings. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Happens to me as well. I just write it off to shooting a RH gun with my left hand.

3 Likes

I’d say it is 5%, but I practice strong and weak hand shooting every time I go out, prolly 2~3 mags each hand, including 1-handed reload and racks.

2 Likes

This is basically what I attempt, and find satisfactory. What I find actually happens is that two hands work against each other to make a perfectly plumb gun feel natural in front of the dominant eye — but with one hand there is a tendency for a slight roll to the interior (i.e. to the L with RH, to the R with LH) to feel less strained. It’s not much — maybe 3° to 5° off plumb. I think it puts the sights directly in front of my eye without having to push my shoulder past a neutral point without participation of the other hand.

At least that’s how it seems to work in slow fire practice when I pay attention — at speed, I’m not 100% certain that I’m doing the same thing. Recoil seems to throw a single hand around quite a bit, so my sight recovery for followup shots is not as quick as I would like. I’m currently paying more attention to making better hits than I am to increasing speed.

2 Likes

Only persistent training gives you desired results.
I forced my self to keep handgun in one had the same way as I normally grip both hands, by simply removing supporting hand form the grip. This way the handgun keeps its position intact.

If you go back to post #6 (my first one in this thread) you can use the X drill which works great for keeping the handgun perfectly plumb, regardless of whether you shoot one or two handed.
You don’t need to do the full X, just make one sideways step for one hand shot, go back and shoot both hands, then another step for the other one hand shot. Try to keep the handgun in the same position.

1 Like

The way @Jerzees stated in the above post was the way I was trained in the police department by just removing the support hand and keeping the strong hand grip the same in the isosceles stance. I was younger back then and can manage the recoil a lot better. To me that gangsta style of shooting sideways only works in the movies, but then again you can get lucky. Use the gangsta style if there is no cover and your just trying to run for cover if someone draws on you. You may not hit the target but it can buy you some time and pray that round does not hit anyone else because in the real world you are responsible for every round that leaves your gun. When I go to the range I practice one handed shooting using the weaver stance.

2 Likes

I do my one-handed practice a little differently. I begin with the premise that if I am shooting with one hand something has happened that keeps me from using both hands. Thus I practice 1) shooting with only left or right hand around cover or concealment, 2) shooting while sitting in a chair or on the floor, 3) shooting while laying on the floor, and 4) shooting with one hand/arm “out of service.” However, I have put a lot of rounds downrange first shooting from a “normal” shooting stance in order to be safe doing the more complex drills.

3 Likes

To be an armed guard in most states you need to shoot one-handed 6 left and 6 right in a total of 50 shots this is where people fail or miss a few. A total of 7 missed out of 50 you fail.

I train with my free hand flat on my chest to balance my shoulders and improve the balance. I turn the weak hand 45 to balance the non-strong arm its good to train just in case you need a free arm or you are injured.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @RYAN156 and God bless you.

Thanks! for the welcome and God bless you as well!

1 Like

Hello and welcome @RYAN156

1 Like

I threw some downrange on camera SHO today, for funsies

2 Likes

Thanks, Bruce! I am a disabled man, and the right arm and leg have no feeling. One-hand is the available for me! :liberia:

6 Likes

2 hand was introduced to me after 50 years of one hand shooting. Very awkward.
Fun is a single action revolver in each hand firing one while cocking the other. After neck fussion my weak hand is more steady, grateful dad only showed one hand shooting.

1 Like

Practice changing magazines and racking the slide one handed as well. You need to have a plan for all scenarios.

3 Likes