Weekend Training: One-handed shooting

How do you practice one-handed shooting?

2 Likes

I let it hang as if immobilized. I was taught that by a Marine onboard back in the 80’s. His reasoning was that if you were shot in the arm or shoulder and the fight was still going on you would be in pain . To move the arm around would most likely increase the pain making it harder to keep your mind in the fight.

4 Likes

I agree. Tuck it in a pocket or belt or something to help support the weight. That could also help minimize movement and reduce pain. Whatever can help you stay in the fight.

2 Likes

I also agree. My firearms instructor in the SO was a Vietnam era USMC SSgt. who professed that there were very few reasons to shoot one handed, either your cover would not allow a supported hand or one of your hands was inoperable. Either way, that means shooting with your non-shooting hand out of the way, usually at your side.

1 Like

Yea. I just either let hang to my side or I bend arm and bring tight to body. This option is better for a severe bleeding injury (lower half of arm) and may reduce pain… so I’ve been told.

1 Like

“to think that people are not even allowed to question the time-honored traditions”… um, ,maybe I missed that part of my indoctrination… er…education … I pretty much question. If things don’t have an obvious reason, I ask and consider for myself.

At the range Friday, practiced both arm at side and on chest.

One instructor of mine had us do our first string of one-handed fire with the unused arm folded behind our waist and gripping our belts at the back from the inside. This was specifically to keep that hand occupied and to give you something to grip and to keep it out of the way, not for self-defense reasons. After that, he had us put it at our side or on our chest.

What I find weird is having the hand open relaxed… if the off hand is in a fist, it can be wherever and it’s fine, but open, it distracts me. I think that may be because if I’m shooting I expect to be gripping with both hands. Noticed that on Friday, so I’ll be practicing that now.

3 Likes

Oh, and speaking for the not-spring-chickens camp, one more reason you might be one handed is using that other arm for bracing against an object, or getting off the ground. Some of us dont have the knees we used to, and while adrenaline will help, it doesn’t give you new knees.

Another reason might be holding a child or supporting a loved one. While I’d want them behind me (if not behind cover) I can imagine scenarios where the 3 seconds time frame doesn’t allow that. Or where someone you love goes down as a first casualty of a shooter and the initial seconds go to grabbing/supporting them before you identify what has happened and respond.

4 Likes

Or the attacker is at close range, and you are holding them off while engaging with your firearm.

I let it hang. Barring using it as support/defensively, if I’m not using it, I’m probably injured. I need to be able to hit what I’m aiming at, with the dead weight at my side.

1 Like