Obligation to show CCW permit?

I’m a CCW permit holder in California. If someone accidentally sees my firearm (ex., I’m shopping and reach up to take something off a rack), do I have an obligation to show them my permit?

What do you all say when someone notices you’re carrying?

7 Likes

No more so than you being required to show your driver’s license to someone who yells at you for rolling through a stop sign instead of coming to a compete stop.
The situation is quite different if the demand to see your card is from a law enforcement officer. Have to know state law on that one. Same deal on showing a driver’s license to someone you had an auto acccident with.

The thought does come to mind, of the situation feels right, to respond, quietly,

“Shhh… Sorry but I am not allowed to show my credentials to anyone outside the agency, because no one is supposed to know who I work for.”

14 Likes

You are under no obligation to show your CCW to anyone but law enforcement, possibly gun shop owners running your background check for a purchase. As for folks noticing I’m carrying, I’ve observed that most folks just don’t care, or have their beaks pressed up against their phone screens so tight I’d have to pistol-whip them to get them to notice. :laughing:

11 Likes

I have never had someone tell me they noticed my gun. I have noticed some one else’s gun and told them. I don’t live in Ca. It’s probably different. If someone did tell me they noticed my gun I would probably thank them. If they seemed afraid I would probably apologize. If they were cocky about it I would give them the saving lives speech.

7 Likes

Never have been told that I’m printing. Never have been asked by anyone including LEO to present my CCW. If you’re stopped by a cop it is assumed at least in my state that they know you’ve got a CCW. Don’t live in Cali but been told that many things including the food is way different than most other states. I like the food though.

5 Likes

Law enforcement are the only one’s you’re required to show your permission slip to. And thats probably the least of your issues at that point. I will present mine when buying a firearm but that is so i can leave with that day.

One thing to keep in mind 95% of the sheeple walking around are obvious. You should do everything in your power and control to not let your gun be exposed…especially in the gun control states.

5 Likes

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

No, you do not. (outside of LE)

Conceal it, especially in CA. Concealed meaning nobody knows or can reasonably infer that it is there.

Also, in reality, nobody says anything when they notice you are carrying. Please don’t think “nobody says anything therefore nobody ever knows”. I have observed more concealed carriers than I can count or remember over my years. Never once have I indicated to them in any way whatsoever that I knew they had a gun.

I’m sure others have at some point along the way figured out I was carrying, but, nobody has ever indicated it to me

5 Likes

Happy anniversary!

2 Likes

Not to the one who accidentally saw your firearm.

I’m trying to locate where I read it but if it happened to me, I would call the sheriff’s department to report the incident.

That’s what I remember from my training and muscle memory says that’s what I would do.

haha thanks Craig, I’ll use that response if need be.

1 Like

Good to know. I could just see someone in CA freaking out.

1 Like

No one that I know of has seen me carrying yet, but I could see someone in CA freaking out and making a scene so I’m unsure of what the protocol is for something like that.

1 Like

“If I showed you I would have to kill you”???

1 Like

IIRC it depends on he state your in??? So check your state laws on such!!!

2 Likes

To the OP, No.

3 Likes

Live and learn brother. Love the user name.

2 Likes

I had a funny situation occur yesterday. I was walking thru a store and overheard a little girl say "Look mommy, he’s got a gun just like you !! Gotta luv kids and women with kahunas !!

7 Likes

@UncommonSense Welcome to the community, and no you are under no obligation to show anyone your permit other than a LEO if your state law has “Duty To Inform” when being pulled over. Coming to think of it, :thinking: I have NEVER seen a Gang Member accidently expose their ILLEGAL firearm, and they NEVER print. How do they do it. :thinking: :laughing:

5 Likes

:flushed: good observation :flushed:

3 Likes

@BeanCounter They are dangerous, clever weasels. :thinking: :smirk: :grimacing: :wink:

2 Likes