North carolina video swat raid

That’s a very good point. Like when we talk about Free Speech: It wasn’t that long ago that both the right and the left had broad agreement on the 1st Amendment, but they had differences on specific ways it should (or shouldn’t) be applied. If anything, the left used to apply the 1st Amendment more ‘liberally’ than the right, at least in the cases that I can think of. The ACLU had a fairly absolutist stance on free speech. Today, many on the left disregard the 1st Amendment (as well as the 4th and 5th), because they think the Bill of Rights only protects “bad” people.

Maybe this wasn’t the best example, but the point is that there used to be a lot of common ground from which people could lean right or left. The ship could tack back and forth, depending on which way people were leaning. These days, it’s like we’re standing on different halves of the Titanic, completely separated from one another, and both sinking.

5 Likes

I would argue that the majority of people are not as far apart on a majority of issues as the people on the far left and far right want everyone to believe. But I would say that more and more people seem to be allowing themselves to be separated into one camp or the other by the extremes on either side.

This division is likely being strongly supported by those behind the scenes who are truly responsible for the growing mess we are in. Divide and conquer.

6 Likes

I can’t argue with anything you said. I agree that the extremes on either side have the loudest voices, and have too much of an advantage in the primary system. But neighbor-to-neighbor, most of us still have more in common than not.

My bigger concern is whether we’re passing that along to the next generation. I don’t mean “darn kids these days” or anything like that, but I do fear that we’re failing the generation that’s being raised. And if that’s the case, it won’t be their fault that the nation fails, it will be ours.

4 Likes

I agree with you there. I believe 80%, or more, have a fairly similar stance on the majority of issues. It’s media and our so-called “leadership” that are highlighting the fringes as the norm when in reality they do not represent the norm at all.

4 Likes

I appreciate both of your perspectives. It’s good to be reminded from time to time that the real world is not represented by social media and 24-hour news cycles.

5 Likes