Nonlethal options for daily carry, gun being last resort

I carry a tactical pen, pocket folder, pepper spray, flashlight, my firearm and extra magazine and a leatherman.
Left side: leather EDC pouch holds leatherman, pen and light, horizontal mag carrier right in front of that with my spare mag and my wallet in the front pocket.
Right side: Firearm in an Alien Gear OWB holster, keys
Left rear pocket: cell phone
Right rear pocket: nothing typically.

4 Likes

My thought is to forget the taser.

4 Likes

Same here.

3 Likes

I also carry a knife primarily for it’s day to day utility. But I do consider it a backup to my firearm in a defensive situation as well. While I don’t have anywhere near enough training and practice with it I have studied and practice a few moves. I carry it in my off hand pocket so if my gun hand gets tied up in a struggle or my gun malfunctions and I am not given the time to clear it I at least have a second option.

6 Likes

But back on topic. I do also carry some pepper spray. I do a lot of work in SoCal and run into a lot of homeless folks with various drug and mental issues. Most of them are just trying to get by but some can get very aggressive and threatening. I like having a non lethal option even though I know it may not be effective and I may need to quickly transition to something else.

3 Likes

Are you talking to yourself?

3 Likes

Exactly!

2 Likes

Haha. I accidentally replied “Same here” to this comment when I meant to reply to a different one.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::woozy_face:

3 Likes

In addition to a concealed sub-compact/compact pistol, I considered concealment and use of a Taser Pulse+ from AXON as my primary weapon. The Pulse+ device has a single-use cartridge and a range of 10-15 feet. Conceptually, use of the device presented problems when I thought about identifying a potential attacker (time required to identify equipment i.e. articles of clothing), distance of an attacker (time to deployment and limitations to retreat), the possibility of there being multiple attackers (scene integrity and task loading for emergency call), recovery of an attacker through the 30-second muscular override, etc., particularly when the user of a device does not have the right, responsibility, and skill to apprehend or maintain distance from an attacker. Given use of a body-worn-camera, I would have difficulty with establishing my rights as a protector in the event of noise escalation, especially if there were numerous persons positioned “near” me. I wouldn’t of been able to maintain a safe distance from an attacker to document what happened and what was happening. I also felt uncomfortable leaving the discharged device in the presence of an attacker. Disabling and destroying the device also presented problems i.e if I throw the device onto a “hard” ground urface I can destroy it but throwing it onto grass -I’m not sure. I had difficulty with sighting and accuracy in low-light conditions. When the device is deployed, the user’s ability to prepare for contact is limited to single arm manipulations and lateral foot movements. I thought the device and it’s “Safe Escape Product Replacement Guarantee”, including the free trial of Noonlight, would help me with training/practice and cost-effective maintenance of the device but it wasn’t enough. Having experience while knowing the devices effects is costly i.e what’s a normal min. charge., “different people different effects”, difficulty being aware, etc.

You really need to [know] your next position of concealment/cover i.e. not ideal for a room where you would need to step over the attacker.

A smart watch is essential to being a responsibly armed citizen. I would also consider use of OCAT (Oleoresin Capiscum Aerosol) as a substitute option.

3 Likes

Thanks so much. Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother &Matthew, glad you could join us.

1 Like

The number one non lethal option there is on daily carry is,
 Situational awareness! Escape, evade, and avoid. Then the gun will always be the last thing you will have to ever worry about!

5 Likes

With you 100%

This may be good for the comics but might be impractical!

3 Likes

defiantly not yellow,
 or pink! I could go with a gray or black.

2 Likes

2 Likes