New Shooter: Target Feedback

@David670 You may have taken that a wee bit out of context. That pic/meme has been floating around here for several months and is often referred to when describing the help given to the poster previously as it was above and generally in jest as it was above. You might want to think about reeling that one back in before somebody quotes you.

Cheers,

Crasig6

3 Likes

This can help identify some mistakes, but use it as one part of your analysis. Concentrate on one aspect at a time.

So this shows pistol shooting errors, right? Is there a similar chart for rifle shooting?

1 Like

You are correct, that is for pistol work. Rifle is different. With the park since distance between front and rear sights is so close any error will be magnified.

On rifles, the distance between the front and rear sights is greater so the same error in alignment had less impact. Also, the manner of holding while firing makes the rifle more stable and accurate.

Thomas “Rocky” Mistretta

AMESTRATUS, LLC
Private Investigation
Personal Security Training
VA: 11-10021
202 599 0393
www.Amestratus.com

Take Control of Your Life!

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

1 Like

To answer you directly, no, I don’t have a similar target for rifle fire. I’ll look through my files and see if i have anything similar.

@Alces_Americanus There are charts but they are optic / sight specific. Somewhere in one of my old data books was a chart for shooting highpower (M1A/M1 Garand/1903 Sprng & M-16) but it was a collection of “It might be’s”. With power scopes a whole lot of error can get hidden in the parallax adjustment as well as the eye relief adjustment. I have limited experience with red dots or multipliers but significantly more experience with an EOTech which is "Where the circle and dot goes anywhere on the glass the boolit will go there +/- elevation and windage from zero range.

In my precision long range classes I will spend as much time as needed adjusting eye relief and calibrating scopes which can be somewhat boring for some if it is a larger class as it is hands on instructor one on one where I also delve into body positioning effects of recoil and other bits of black magic. That being said at the end of that class segment EVERY shooter has a properly positioned scope as well as the knowledge of what THEIR scope does in the real world. Granted these folks have no need for me to tell them how to shoot a rifle and most are set up well but every now and then…

The biggest thing I can tell you for shooting off a bench or on your belly is to be SQUARE behind the rifle. You should be able to pick your nose up off the ground (literally) and point it at the sky, put the rifle in your shoulder and drop your face onto the stock at exactly the correct position. This is for shooting with a rear bag, NOT shooting slung in (That’s a totally different animal). I prefer bi-pod or sandbags to support the front of the rifle I have rests and sleds rusting away in the corner as I have never been able to adjust one to fit my body position, I was always fighting it.

I wish I could tell you why you were off to the right so much on an even plane but there are way too many variable to even think about unless I see you shoot. Unlike pistol rifle is about body mechanics not vagaries of grip and finger position although there is some small bit of that too.

The nirvana of scoped rifle shooting is when you press the trigger the gun vibrates and you see a hole appear in the target and or watch the trace disappear into the target.

Cheers,

Crasig6

3 Likes

Hey @Craig6. I plan on going out tomorrow to focus on some basics in a very methodical way. Pulling everything together at once is darn near impossible, since almost everything is new. But I think if I work on getting essential pieces right, one or two per session, it’ll happen.

Thanks again for the advice. There’s nothing as helpful as practical insight gained from experience.

Stay square behind the gun, focus on your sight picture and trigger break. You should be able to tell with that mental flash of the sight picture if you were off. Plot the shots you take on your dope book and if you do it right the group on your dope book will closely resemble the group on the target. If you have a spotting scope you can verify in real time (usually). Give yourself something to aim at and have fun most of all.

For giggles at like 50 yards you may want to play with your optic a bit and see if you can force an error. In that I mean shove the dot up to 12:00 and break the trigger, see if it still lands on target where you expect or is it way off, same for 3, 6 & 9. Like I said I have next to zero experience with red dot sights so this may or may not be a thing. Your multiplier is a powered optic and you may fall into shading and scope alignment, again not familiar. If you have the ammo play with it. Note: if you move your head up and down and the dot changes its location on the target you have a parallax issue and I dare say you need to find out where it is zero’d at because that’s where you need to zero your rifle at and hold from there.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

This version was taken from the bottom/end-note of a blank “target” sold at my local range:

Right-handed person …

Left-handed person …

What firing position: prone, seated, kneeling, standing? And supported or unsupported (meaning the rifle was resting on stationary object or using a bipod) or not?

In a very general sense, a 10" x 12" group of 10 shots would be pretty good off-hand standing results from 100 yds, but not very great shooting from prone or seated at a bench with a supported (braced) rifle.

But for a first time out with a new AR and a new shooter, this is actually very respectable. Congratulations!

1 Like

Thanks @Ken38. These were sort of kneeling (not at an ideal height), supported on a bipod on a folding camp table. Today’s results, standing, bipod, real shooting table coming up shortly.

Significantly more diligence at the range today. Three-shot sets with notes and red dot adjustments in between. Modified my target with a center black diamond, per @Craig6.

49°, wind starting at 9:00, shifting to 6:00. About 8mph. Winchester M193 55gr.

After warming up with 30 rounds a 6” gong, 7 sets of 3 shots, 1 set of 4, for zeroing, and a final 5 after.

Still need to meditate on all of these. But the numbers are DOPE’d.

Best 6 Out of 8 Sets of 3 Shots

Final 5 Shots

Best 6 of 8 in Sequence

1 Like

If you are using a 2 MOA or larger reticle, looks like you are getting the hang of it. I noticed you were shooting a 62 grain 5.56 the first time around and a 55 grain M193 this time. What’s the twist rate of your barrel and which round is your rifle chambered for (5.56 or .223)?

1 Like

Yes, I was using 62gr before. Muzzle velocity on those is 2,835fps. I tried the 55s today, because that 62gr ADI ammo is packaged so nicely in hermetically sealed bags, I figure it has a longer shelf life. This 55gr M193 is pretty fast, 3,180fps.

I have some bulk Winchester M855 62gr, but I thought I’d hang on to those steel cores in case of serious need, not to mention they really chew up my AR500 targets.

Twist on the barrel is 1:7, and it is chambered for 5.56. The Romeo5 red dot is indeed a 2 MOA sight, with 0.5 MOA adjustment/click.

1 Like

I would add if anyone doesn’t already know, never rest the barrel on the rest/support. Always rest the handguard on your support system when shooting/sighting.

3 Likes

Sounds like you are off to the races. Have fun.

1 Like

I am, and I am. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

What kind of ammo are you using? Milsurp is not that accurate. Neither is a lot of the bulk ammo. Most AR’s are very accurate with Good ammo. My AR will shoot MOA or better from a rest with my handloads and a 1-6x24 scope.
Are you going to be shooting only at 100 yards or are you looking for a battle zero? An AR zeroed at 50 yards will have a 2nd zero at about 210 yards. 2"-3" high at 100 yards. Drop at 300 will be 4"-6". Results vary with ammo and barrel length.

1 Like

Just for Fun – 25 Yards (Zeroed at 100 Yards)
Going to have to replace that target board soon, or else start putting everything in the black.