New Michigan Gun Storage Law — Including In Your Car

So… the criminals in Lansing just passed a gun storage law that includes language that affects how you must store a gun in a vehicle (CPL holders take note as you must do both):

(i) In the individual’s motor vehicle, store the firearm in a locked box or container in that vehicle, or keep the firearm unloaded and lock the firearm with a locking device that is properly engaged to render the firearm inoperable by any individual other than the owner or an authorized user.
(ii) Lock the individual’s motor vehicle.

Which got me to looking for a new gun case that is lockable without having to use two padlocks and I came across these beauties and wanted to share:

The full new gun law verbiage can be found here: https://legislature.mi.gov/documents/2023-2024/publicact/htm/2023-PA-0017.htm

Stay safe out there folks.

3 Likes

The section applies to the safety of minors, specifically it states:
Sec. 9. (1) An individual who stores or leaves a firearm unattended on premises under the individual’s control, and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is, or is likely to be, present on the premises, shall do
1 or more of the following:

I’m not following what the problem is?

2 Likes

California is light years ahead on that one. :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

You haven’t moved out of Panerfornia yet? :wink:

2 Likes

If I start listing the case after case of a minor (usually the parent’s child in their own home) successfully defending themselves and their minor siblings from an attacker using a firearm they could access in an emergency in the home, will it open up the discussion any?

4 Likes

I think it would depend on the child. Four of my grandkids are minors and I would trust them to have access to a firearm for self defense. I do keep most of my guns under lock and key, I have a 9mm that I carry and a Ruger 10/22 that are accessible. The grandkids are all good with a 22 rifle. However there are minors that should not have access to any firearm. My grandkids were brought up to respect the capabilities of firearms, some kids aren’t. Some kids just have no clue, and that falls on their guardians. all the laws in the world are not going to keep guns out of the hands of irresponsible people. The new Michigan Gun Storage Law is just to make legislators feel like they are doing something to save the world----They’re not!

3 Likes

Not yet. But, I’m no longer going to patronize the food place that won’t pay the $20 minimum wage :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I feel for you folks that have to deal with anti-Gun stupidity on a daily basis (No joke)
As Sh** stoopid as New Mexico anti-Gunners are I find it refreshing that I am ‘Allowed’ to
follow the OK Corral Storage Laws.
*No Children in my house, none to visit, therefore No Lock box’s in the house.
*I keep my firearm on me and my Lock box’s separate (somewhere in my sheds)
*I keep my mag’s in my Guns and one round separate from said mags in the pipe.
*I keep a firearm in my Fridge (Like Christopher Walken in ‘Dog’s of War’) because
you never know if my Sisters Meat Loaf will attack the vegi-drawer! It is anti-Veganism!
*I LOVE NEW MEXICO in it’s simplicity! Bienvenidos! OLE!

4 Likes

The issue I raise is that the article does not give the full context of the law and leaves out the key part which is it applies to safety for children and NOT just another law that applies to everyone. Without the full verbiage/context, it is misleading. Not saying it’s intentional, but am saying that it is. What is put forth is just part of the clauses of the actual law.