New Concealed Carry Gun - What do you suggest?

Do you want a double or single stack? I would go to a gun store that had a large selection. Handle all of the guns that are either double or single, or revolvers. You say you want a 9mm, so I would focus on those. Find the top 3 that feel good in your hand. Call a few local ranges to see if they have rentals of those guns. Here’s how I rank carry guns
1.Will I carry it always
2.Do I shoot it well enough for self defense
3.Is it a “Self defense” caliber
4.Capacity
If you won’t carry it, it’s no good. If you can’t hit a barn with it, no good. I ranked caliber above capacity because if you can put rounds on target, 6-7 hits is better than 12-15 misses. Last, capacity. Again, if you can’t hit anything with it, then it won’t matter how many rounds you have. All that said, I’m partial to double stack M&Ps myself. If you became confident in you Sig, the 938 is the same gun only in 9 mm.

3 Likes

A good budget gun is the Ruger Security 9. I’ve shot near a thousand rounds through it over the year and a half I’ve had it.
Now I have found that it does stove pipe but it didn’t do that for me before I got another mag for my CCW class.
For subcompact, I grabbed an XDS 4.0 (unfortunately they don’t make the 4.0 anymore). I had a friend who carried it and I shot it at his range. I liked the grip, the sights and he said it has never jammed on him.

(Note: if you get the Security 9 get it ceracoted if at all possible. It does build up rust from humidity.)

3 Likes

I just bought a SIG p365 & it’s a great fun. I love SIGS anyway but this one is my new primary carry

4 Likes

Hi Dawn, I tried to upload a video of a 3-gun stage and it wouldn’t let me do it because it said it wasn’t authorized. Is there a way to do this?

1 Like

Steve, Let me check on that. There may be a setting I’ll have to change.

This is one of those learning curve bumps - thanks for pointing it out in a positive manner! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To test out the video issue, here’s an Into the Fray Kevin Michalowski did about choosing a gun:

2 Likes

Before I got my first gun, I took two classes. The first class was basic gun safety and we shot .22’s, The second class was more in depth and we shot .380 up to 45. None of the guns we shot really fit my hand nor did I feel comfortable shooting. A month later I was going to buy a gun for my hubby and started asking about different guns. I had went to buy a Springfield XDM and walked out with Sig Sauer P226 legion. My advice is to NOT buy a gun based on price but the way it feels in your hand. I met a lady in a concealed Carry class I took that bought a SW.380 because her son said she needed a gun. She could barely hold it, much less shoot it. The instructor had to get her a .22 revolver in order for her to hit the target. Many gun ranges have rentals and will go on the range with you and help you learn how to hold it. Keep renting or go shoot with friends until you find the purrfect gun. Don’t let anyone pressure you into a gun because it is cheap or the caliper they think you should carry. Not everyone feels comfortable with a .45 and a well placed .22 is just as deadly.

4 Likes

Awesome suggestions, @TWeinzerl!!

1 Like

I took similar classes but in reverse order. I took the CCW class Saturday and walked out feeling much more prepared than I thought I would be for any situation I could face. Then I took a basic firearms course with my mom. I was more of a spectator than a participant really since I knew 90% of the material. But at least I walked out knowing a couple of new things.
And I’ve thought about getting a P226 but I keep having to think: do I need it? Maybe. if so, what for? Possibly around the property. Could I carry it? Possibly, though the grip might be too big. And it’s expensive too. Though if the SEALs had that gun for a while it must be pretty darn good (I hear more SEALs are choosing a G19 over the P226).

1 Like

This goes for everyone that asks, buy what your hand tells you what to get. It’s all in the size and comfort fit.

5 Likes

I also just got a Sig P365 and I really like it! I’m glad I bought it.

1 Like

I really need to get a 365, @Pamela! I’ve shot one and heard great things about them. There are just too many guns to purchase :laughing:

Is the 365 your first carry gun?

My first gun was a SCCY. Mainly because it was well priced and the warranty is superior. I didn’t want a big investment until I was sure this was something I was really going to get into. It has a very long trigger pull and I think that was a good learning experience for me as well.
I took a basic pistol course and then decided to take the CCDW course and apply for my permit. I live in the country so I can practice in my backyard. My son and I are building a little range which I hope to have finished soon.
Now I’m very hooked on shooting and am going to move on to my first AR with my Son’s help.

The P365 is a very easy gun to work with and just the right size for my hands. I also put a green dot Lima laser sight on it but haven’t used that yet. Will test that out this weekend!

1 Like

That’s right! I read that in your introduction! (Thanks for posting your intro!)

You’ll have to let me know what you get for an AR. I’m debating what I’m going to get/build for one right now. This thread might be of interest to you as well: Which AR is the best? - #8 by Dawn

Can’t wait to see what you decide!

I agree with others! Rent a few at the range and see what you like.

1 Like

Personally I’m not a fan of manual safeties for self defense but in all honesty if you practice enough on your presentation and preparing to fire it will become still a trained but fully automatic response.

I prefer the Springfield for many reasons but mostly because it incorporates not only the trigger safety similar to Glock along with the backstrap safety similar to the 1911 requiring you to grip it properly or it will not fire.

There are almost endless options out there today and numerous manufacturers of very high quality handguns so pick any of the reputable manufacturers and find something that fits your hand well, that you are confident and comfortable in shooting, and that you can shoot accurately and you’ll do fine.

2 Likes

Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP

I’ve carried my Kimber as my primary CCW for the last 3 years and I’ve found it to be the perfect size, weight, and concealabitity …

1 Like

Personally I like the 1911 model Israeli Arms Desert Shield .45acp I carried in the military, but I prefer the 5” barrel for stability
Also the S&W .40 ACP isn’t too bad either

1 Like

I’ve carried a kahr cm9 for 3years and it is great. 100 percent reliable, light. Can pocket carry or in a vedder’s light tuck.

1 Like

The Sig P365 is a micro-compact, 9mm and is small enough to carry just about any place on your body you want. Another option is the S&W Easy 380; it’s small, easy to rack the slide, and easy to load the magazine. If you load Critical Defense or other such ammo, the caliber shouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like