"New" Ammo Makers

Who’s had experiences - good or bad - with AMMO INC. or UNDERWOOD ammo? It seems like ammo companies are jumping out of the wallpaper - is there anyone whose products are unique, and deserve my attention?

3 Likes

Underwood is not all that new, I’d consider them established at this point. Small, niche, but established.

I recommend Underwood regularly to folks with ‘magnum’ type handgun cartridges who want it ALL. Like magnum revolver rounds or 10mm in particular

Of the smaller newer-ish, I think Underood is one of the best. In fact, they are the only manufacturer of ammo that isn’t one of the BIG DOGS I think I would recommend or use myself

10 Likes

I have 4 different rounds from Underwood that I use. So big :+1:.
Underwood is a premium ammo so prices reflect that, they do have some good deals though.

AMMO INC. is new here in WI. They sent their first million rounds to Ukraine as if thumbing their nose at us and won’t sell to the public, so we have to pay inflated prices. Otherwise, I have not used their ammo.

6 Likes

I’ve had excellent results from both companies and consider them both to be some of my favorite brands. My daily carry ammo in my 38 special is Underwood 128 grain JHP +P. It’s extremely consistent, hard hitting, clean and in a nice quality nickel casing, so no corrosion riding around in my pocket in Florida. I’ve also bought and like their hard cast 158 grain Keith for the woods. I think many people put Underwood in the same category as Buffalo Bore.

As for Ammo Inc, I had tried a few boxes of their 38 FMJ for target. It was the lowest flash, cleanest and some of the most consistently accurate FMJ I’ve used in the revolvers. I went back and bought a bunch more to stock up. It’s POI=POA at 10 yards, just like my Underwood carry ammo, so it became my go-to practice ammo. The price is good, but lately it’s been out of stock at Midway.

6 Likes

Oh, no wonder I can’t find more of my favorite Ammo Inc FMJ.

3 Likes

Several ammo companies are under “quiet contract” with the U.S. gubmint. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah, we never know when suddenly sales to the public will dry up. It’s why I always buy as much as I can afford when I’m ordering ammo. I’ve gotten to the point that whenever I open the ammo cabinet, my first gut feel is “I need more ammo” no matter how much is in there.

6 Likes

Gun owners have been burned – twice now – by ammo shortages with few companies emerging to fill the void. In states like California, buying ammo requires a background check. Other states are proposing a tax on ammo. People should invest in reloading gear.

1 Like

Reloading can help, but, when you start adding up the costs of all the things people who get into reloading actually vs the bare bones “you can reload for only this much” list…you have to take the time to reload a fair amount of ammo to break even, and when ammo supplies get ransacked, so to do components. Remember primer shortages? Even boolits can get hard to find…and you just know if the government comes down hard on regulating ammo, it’s a matter of when not if they also come down on components.

So yes to reloading, but…stock up on everything you need to turn it into ammo and don’t count your chickens before they hatch

3 Likes

I will address Ammo Inc since Underwood has been covered. I haven’t had any issues with most of their ammo. .40, 9mm, and .223 have all been just fine. One of my .380s did have a little issue, but it wasn’t the ammo, it’s the pistol.

I just looked at their website, and there is a recall on a specific lot of .44 magnum

5 Likes

I reloaded my own for about 30 years until federal nursing contracts took over my life. I lived in IL & got my first FOID card there in 1972. My first contract was in FL but my housing was a hotel. I brought about 1k bullets with me & on days off I practiced with local Sheriff’s deputies at a public range. When bullets ran out I put guns in my parents home locked up in FL. They refused to let me buy the equipment & reload in their garage. I still have a box of 25 reloads that are 30 years old. And I just bought wad cutters for practicing & .357 mags. 50 bullets came to $59.00 at Patriot’s Gun Shop in Citrus Springs. PLUS a $17 fee for selling the bullets!?!

I have to wait until after January to restart making my own. I bought everything before through the NRA who I taught for at the time.

3 Likes

I’ve only shot a couple boxes of Underwood. The quality seems very good but their prices are usually pretty high.

I’ve shot more Ammo Inc but only in 300blk. In that caliber they often have some of the cheapest prices around and I haven’t had any issues with the quality.

2 Likes

I have shot plenty of 10mm Ammo Inc. no issues

2 Likes

If you are looking to support a company that does NOT sell to the government I’d recommend AAC. It is very good ammo for practice, at slightly less cost than AMMO Inc.

Underwood Xtreme Defender is what I use for EDC. Great ammo, if a bit on the expensive side, and well worth it.

2 Likes

I love AAC. I’ve put a couple thousand rounds between 9mm & .223 through my weapons, and still haven’t had an issue. Their bulk prices are hard to beat for new rounds

I amy be a touch biased as there’s a PSA location within an hour of me.

2 Likes

I believe that Ammo Inc was always setup to sell only to the military.

1 Like

For about a year, I got them on Midway- 50 count box of 38 sp for around $22 bucks. I thought it was the deal of the century for good quality ammo.

1 Like

recently…???

1 Like

Very good prices for the Defender ammo. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have great success with Capital Brand from

Good prices, and 500 rounds of 9mm is about what I shoot in a month

1 Like