Never bring a knife to a gun fight

3 Likes

One thing I was told when I did the Army Combatives course was, if you are defending yourself against somebody with a knife and can’t get to a weapon is you probably are going to need stitches or surgery, but if you can fight through the fear and pain and pin that knife to them then get real violent real fast, you’ll be a lot better off. Turn their Adam’s apple like you’re turning a key, put your fingers in the eyes or nostrils and like the instructor told us, “try to touch their brain,” clap their ears, hit them in the groin until they pass out. Basically raise your level of violence to a point that you become more animal than person, or as he put it, “be a rabid grizzly.”

3 Likes

The way I was told is
“Fight like you are the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah’s ark, and brother, ITS STARTING TO RAIN!”
If it’s close quarters combat, I’m gonna kick, stomp, hit, gouge, bite, poke, until they quit moving. And, in public, I always carry a knife. The only place I don’t, is a courthouse.(they won’t let me)

4 Likes

3rd monkey on the ramp. That’s awesome!!

3 Likes

@45IPAC and @Dawn I hit the flag icon on 45 IPAC’s post by accident, but didn’t send anything. Don’t want it to look like he got flagged for anything. It was a typical example of “I wonder what that button is for?” Doh!!

1 Like

You flagged me !!!:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:
Lol I don’t think it registers unless you pick a reason, and hit “Post Flag”

2 Likes

Yeah, I had options, none of which I took. Sounds like my first marriage now that I think of it!

2 Likes

Very good point. In self-defense, there are no rules. Anything you can do to stay alive!

3 Likes

No worries, @Kerryman71, the flagging notifies me and I can remove it if there isn’t a reason for the flag.

I’d rather have you explore and try to “break” something so we know what we can fix or what functionality people like/don’t like.

1 Like

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure you two knew I wasn’t trying to flag something.

2 Likes

I see I am coming in really late to this thread but my thoughts on non-gun fights is this; The only fair fight is in a boxing ring with a referee, anything/anywhere else all is fair. Walk away if you can but if you cant, once it starts do it fast do it hard and do it first.

3 Likes

Just win. That’s the only thing that matters!

3 Likes

That is one downside I see to martial arts training. It’s so structured (sparring) that it won’t help you fight much in real life.

It will teach you how to work through the pain and keep going, but it won’t help you all out brawl to save your life.

That’s one of the areas that bad training habits could really hurt you.

3 Likes

I hear ya. I have been stabbed in the right forearm fending off a knife during a fight. Was able to remove the knife from the situation after it but the only reason the knife got removed from the fight, sadly is that it was deep in my forearm so when I pulled away it was in my arm.

2 Likes

Ahhh that sucks so much! I hope you don’t have any permanent damage. So I stalked your profile and it says you were a sheriff’s deputy. Did that happen when you were a deputy?

2 Likes

Yes. It was. Serving a felony drug warrent. Comes with the territory sometimes. Got very lucky. No problems but a battle scar. Thanks for asking

2 Likes

Yes it does. I’m glad you’re ok.

1 Like

Knives indeed are something to look at. You are right. I started taking martial arts, and he offered weapons classes. I learned how to attack and defend with a knife. I also started hog hunting with dogs and since we don’t want to shoot a dog we use knives on the hogs. Between the hog hunting and the martial arts it changed my mind on the value and lethality of a knife. I now am of the opinion that a knife within 20 feet is very very dangerous. Also, a deadly threat to me within 10 feet and I may want to think about utilizing my knife to create distance.
The Tueller Drill surprised me, and it surprised those participating. Some of us could get the shot on target from concealment in as few as 12 feet. The majority was greater than 21 feet. It is a awesome demonstration.

3 Likes

and a useful insight to things I never knew to even ask about! Thank you for the education!

1 Like

Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but where did you do the Tueller Drill - in a class?

Getting a shot off at 12 feet is impressive. How stressful was the situation? Adding stress and adrenaline might make it even longer.

I’m with you on that one!

2 Likes