Must Have Safety Devices?

If you’re in the USCCA Community, you’re probably going to say you must have some sort of weapon (gun, knife) and training to best defend yourself and your loved ones.

What other obvious safety devices do you have to help keep your family safe?

4 Likes

Common sense…….checked ego…a plan that’s been communicated to your family.

5 Likes

Deadbolts. Make sure they are always locked. Whether going on vacation, or a walk around the block.

4 Likes

I have an ADT system.

Like @45IPAC said.“Make sure deadbolts are locked.”

I’ve recently wanted to take other security measures…
What would you guys recommend?

4 Likes

@Randall318 A dog…they can make for great added security for the family (and have been shown to help relieve stress)…and they’re low tech! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A basic first aid kit but a more advanced one as you can afford it.

5 Likes

I have a daughson…

Do you think that will scare the burglars away? :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

That right there is a brilliant list. :+1:

• Big dogs.
  • Alarm geese.
  • Window security film so the windows are near-impossible to break.
  • Kick-resistant door jam plates with long screws.
  • Motion sensor flood lights.
  • Steel doors.
  • A bunker. (Well, ok that’s just how the house is made.)
5 Likes

:upside_down_face:
I think the less expensive and safer would be to choose nice and quiet location to live. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Its definitely less expensive and safer… just some of the reasons we picked it. And quieter. Well, except for the geese :wink:

Actually a lot of the safety features were there before we bought it… i suspect the builder had trust issues.

2 Likes

I’d throw in non-firearm related safety devices too:
Smoke detectors
Fire extinguishers
Seat belts
Carseats for kids
Drawer locks (for kids)

What else am I missing on that list?

3 Likes

Carbon monoxide detectors

If we’re going with toddlers:
Outlet caps
Door knob guards
Pool fencing

2 Likes

I walk my dog about 3.5 miles a day. They are a great stress reliever!

3 Likes

Bubble wrap! :grin::grin::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Waiting for bullet proof version…:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

A few of you (@Zee @Dawn @MikeBKY) know my background and will understand when I say electronic psych-ops (backed up by batteries on a trickle charge). No need to shoot when the bad guys pees his pants and runs.

5 Likes

The smartest safety device you will ever have is a responsible mindset and common sense. If you own a gun you have to be. There’s no if’s, ands, or buts about this one. Treat every gun as if it is loaded and you won’t dare think about treating them as if they are unloaded. Thinking like that is what gets people in trouble.

6 Likes

I like that and its so true!

2 Likes

My dachshund is very protective and aggressive, but she also has a Tibetan Mastiff backup

3 Likes

Yes, mine is very aggressive.

Did you know they are actually one of the most aggressive.

Look tonight…my aunt Kim has been here after getting out of an abusive relationship. He bit her tonight. He has known here all his life but he watching over us (Leah, Mamaw, and me).

Also–Daughsounds are to be around young children. He’s old and 5 years ago he bit my old friends baby toddler. I felt so bad.

1 Like