Moving Day With Guns

I’ll be moving shortly to a new home in Tallahassee, Florida from my present home in Atlanta, GA. I have a small collection of pistols from the world wars and civil war and have carefully packed them into a medium-small box with plenty of padding. I can (1) take them to an FFA and pay to ship them; (2) put theme with all the other boxes marked “Kitchen” and let the moving company take them; and (3) carry them with me in my sedan’s trunk. I have a GA CCW. I like choices (3) and (1) and think (2) could land me in prison, but (2) is the hassle-free choice. What do y’all think I should do? Thanks!

2 Likes

If it were up to me, I’d put them in the trunk, unloaded and locked.
Wishing you a safe trip.

21 Likes

Put them in the trunk and drive to your new home. Might consider getting a Florida nonresident permit beforehand. Yeah, I know…

8 Likes

I would keep them with me at all times. So, option 3.

13 Likes

You’re still responsible for them, so if you aren’t willing to pay an FFA to ship them, then take them yourself. Maybe take that box marked “Kitchen” with you, anyway… just in case.
Why would it be an issue to take them with you? If you have them legally in Georgia and you’ll own them legally as a resident of Florida, then I don’t understand the issue.

7 Likes
  1. No brainer imo.
7 Likes

Never let them out of your sight, guard them with your life! Good luck in your new country. Please tell us what freedom is like!

5 Likes

The 2 states border each other. Read the laws of transporting a abide. I would not trust movers, but, that is me.

Recently moved from Florida to Oregon. Charted a route that avoided all blue states and made sure my Florida ccl was honored the whole way. Until I got here. Oregon honors noone’s. Once we hit the Oregon border it became open carry until our new backyard. My other guns were locked in 2 safes and ammo in a third. This was what it took to be legal in every state we passed through. Know your laws and you will be fine.

7 Likes

#3 seems like the most logical, convenient and economical choice to me. Especially since you should be able to make the trip without any overnight stops.

But as @George16 said - just make sure you are complying with the GA and FL transportation laws.

4 Likes

Trunk.

5 Likes

Personally, I would prefer to keep them in the vehicle with me. That is some precious cargo and I would rather be responsible for them.

5 Likes

Did you float across the flooded river or ford a crossing?

1 Like

Ballot: # 3.

Just got an email asking I register to vote by mail. Wasn’t a voter till I joined the USCCA. You all convinced me. So I signed up.

9 Likes

Yes. That.

1 Like

#3. Unloaded and locked in a case, you are transporting them. Follow law’s regarding transportation and have a safe trip.

4 Likes

I would absolutely, without a doubt, keep them with me (#3). My biggest issue, the last time I moved, was how to transport all the ammo. CA passed a law a few years back prohibiting us from purchasing ammo online (unless it goes through an FFL). So I kinda stocked up before that law went into effect. That was a long, seven hour drive, hoping I didn’t get pulled over for anything stupid (e.g. brake light is out) and end up on the news, portrayed as a “psycho” with a truckload of firearms and ammo. I’ve seen too many stories in the news where people are portrayed as homicidal maniacs if they have even 500 rounds of ammo in their possession. And here I’m driving with far more than that in each .45, 9mm, 5.56, 7.62, .30-06, 12g, & 20g.

4 Likes

@MikeBKY >> INSTEAD OF RING AROUND THE BUSH, LETS ASK OUR
COUSIN, WHAT DO YOU THINK MR. MIKE :question:

1 Like

It appears to me that GA and FL have reciprocity and I see no FL laws that would you restrict you from transporting all of your firearms to your new home in Florida.
I would not use a mover.
Using an FFL isn’t a bad thing but it could get expensive having to pay a transfer fee for each firearm and inconvenient going through the NICS paperwork and checks.

8 Likes

@MikeBKY @James580 >>
There you go, instead of ring around the bush, that’s right from Our Cousin Mr. Mike.
Thanks Again Mike.

3 Likes

Even better put them in boxes marked with kitchen and Feminine Hygiene products. No man will open the latter.

2 Likes