Mistake

And I stated that not talking can get you into trouble.

Yes I am.

And that’s the reason I wrote “We are definitely not on the same track”.
I posted my opinion, you posted yours. There is nothing to argue about.

What exactly did you tell me?

Man… do you really enjoy this? Maybe it’s a time to take few hours brake, relax and then come back with valuable arguments.
There is no reason to write meaningless posts.

Take care! Enjoy the weekend. :love_you_gesture:

Apparently you do.

You should try that. My post with the video was valuable. Your posts not so much. You value your opinion over knowledge and experience. You were arguing against a highly respected law professor’s knowledge and experience regarding talking to the police.

Ok. As always you are 100% correct.
(Nothing has changed for last 3 years.)

Not everyone must live the way like others say so. Thanks God we are humans and can make own decisions. Listening others is also smart.
If you carefully read all posts again, not focusing on the fact, that you must be right, maybe you understand meaning of the discussion. (not only this one).

That’s nice.

My experience differs.

I have personally talked to the police, answered questions when I was 100% innocent and 100% in the legal and moral right in every possible way, and ended up being cited with the cop claiming I admitted to something I in no way did nor admitted to, whatsoever.

But there was no recording of the conversation and he said that I said it.

1 Like

Yeah… that’s the point.
Everyone has different experience.
As I mentioned already, be smart. There’s a time to talk and time to keep your silence.

Thx these days every conversation is recorded.

1 Like

Probably yes. Hopefully yes when it comes to LE. And hopefully the recording survives and can be viewed and listened to in its entirety without distortion of editing.

Probably a good idea to have your own

1 Like

Elephant in the room here…don’t do anything to give LEO cause to pull you over!!! Whatever else happens, if you have been pulled over the battle is 1/2 lost. Best you can do at this point is break even (no citation, no firearm issues). Nothing you can do to make it better (you have already been pulled over).

1 Like

I know some good people who still play their car music too loud. Please think about turning it down. Don’t need the attention, from either police or civilians.

That’s easy to say, but an experienced or on-a-mission LEO will probably find a reason.

There are few people that never exceed the speed limit, never drive what is subjectively determined to be too fast for the conditions, never accelerate too rapidly even while under the posted speed limit, always know what the speed limit is on every road even when there hasn’t been a sign yet since you turned onto it, never touches either line on either side of the lane, et cetera.

I was once pulled over entirely, solely, because of what the person in the lane next to me did, for example.

Another time I was pulled over because, in a parking garage, the cop said that if he could hear my car’s exhaust from the level above, I meant I was going too fast (I wasn’t, at all).

Yet another time I was pulled over because I was a younger person leaving a bar parking lot at night, and they just assumed there was a good chance I had been drinking. So, because I was the designated driver who literally didn’t even go into the bar, just picked people up and left, I got pulled over.

It’s pretty much impossible to just not get pulled over, in my experience

3 Likes

Projection, my friend. You need to take your own advice. Just re-read your last post as an example of your negativity. I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, even on this site. You believe you know better than a well-respected law professor. You are unwilling to admit that you do not have the knowledge of law and experience as that law professor. You have chosen, instead, to personally attack me. Yet you claim to want a friendly discussion in this forum.

When someone does not agree with you, you resort to ridicule, denigration, and ad hominem attacks. Why are you continuing this disgraceful behavior? Your posts are not conducive to the discussion.

If they want to pull you over, they will. Don’t go out of your way to make it easier for them.

4 Likes

You are not alone with this. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
I’ve been pulled over several times leaving bar with my friends. As a designated driver I didn’t mind, but eventually we decided to watch the cops on the parking lot across the street and left the bar once they had gone after another “victim”. That way we didn’t waste our and cop’s time. :wink:
Nothing is more important than dropping off drunk friends at their homes asap. And cops are not helping with it. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Where I grew up, they did not do that. However, at nighttime, they assumed anyone driving was drunk. They would use any excuse to pull you over. I have had numerous encounters with officers in those instances. Most of the time, as I, too, was the DD, it resulted in nothing, as they were looking for DUI. I was always very careful driving at night, signalling, no fast starts, proper lane changes, etc. When they want you, they will get you.

I have had at least a couple of encounters with bad officers. I related the one life-altering experience with a bad officer. Thankfully, it only took a few years of very high, several thousand or more dollars of additional insurance costs, to recover from that. I was very concerned about being stopped after that for quite awhile. Driving carefully only works if the officer is a decent person.

I believe that most officers, just like people in general, are decent people, but they deal with a lot of the worst in society, so I am sure many can become a bit jaded. As you stated, just be honest and respectful, and you likely will be treated well - most of the time - but not always.

There are bad officers. When you are young and poor, you are at their mercy. When older, wiser and wealthier, it is much easier to deal with the bad officer. One can more readily control the outcome. It will still cost some time and money - lawyer fees, but most likely will not be burdensome, just an annoyance. When you live a good life, are honest and law-abiding, one typically does not expect a negative experience with an officer. It does happen, and it is never pleasant.

2 Likes