Men training Women

Thank you!

I’m encouraged by your response as this makes such good sense to me regarding the laws and the broader picture in the current climate.

I have much to learn, but I appreciate how kind and accepting the gun community has been to me thus far.

9 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome!

4 Likes

Welcome to the FOLD here Christy4 and Jason 327.
Enjoy your stay @ the USCCA Continental.
My only comment is you are both off to a good start.
Follow your Heart and Train, train, train. and Teach, Teach, Teach!
All jitter’s will fall away w/ the variety of Experiences you gain.
And Jason your talents will guide you for your best course of action w/ each student
Male or Female help them to be all they can be… Hey, that should be somebodies slogan!

WWG1WGA

8 Likes

Hello, welcome, and that you for your service :us:
Great post :+1:

5 Likes

There is also something I believe about how a man talks and how a woman hears. What do I mean? Trying to show my wife about a semi pistol reset point. I said:

Pull the trigger and hold it there. Somehow she heard: pull the trigger, let it go forward and hold it there. She heard the word “reset” and was thinking full cycling the trigger, hold after full return of the trigger. I literally had to demonstrate what I wanted her to do.

5 Likes

When you are explaining something to someone remember that a good communicator is one who can say what they mean in a way the other person can understand. Then also some people learn better from illustrations while others have to experience it to actually learn from it. So, if you use the multiple methods of teaching not only will they understand it but they will retain the knowledge better.
I usually show them while I am explaining it then I have them do it for themselves to experience it.

I have loaded bullets without gunpowder so that they can hear what a squib shot sounds like then what to do to fix the problem. The experience of the sound goes far beyond just trying to explain what a squib is and sounds like.

9 Likes

@Jason327
Thanks for the post. I have mostly been trained by male instructors and fellow shooters and have had 2 females that gave me lessons. I don’t think gender affects level of knowledge. As @Todd30 said, HOW you teach is more important. Skill is not the only factor…patience, intention (to teach or to show off?), humility, and a sense of camaraderie matters too. I have found all of that in every instructor. The people I know that shoot instruct me with every thing they do including inviting me to try their gun. When that happens, I know I am a part of something! To me, that is showing respect and trust.

Gender differences show up with some strength issues, some guns I can barely rack the slide, for example. Concealed carry…I would go to a female for some advice on that. Men dont seem to know much about corsets. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I have to throw in here that some women with PTSD or sexual or domestic abuse issues can feel very unsafe around a male with a gun and they would perhaps be better trained by someone they feel safe around i.e. a woman. (doubters please don’t poo-poo this.) That being said, for me, it is about what does the trainer know and how does he/she teach what they know? Can they pass the enthusiasm they have for shooting onto the newbie holding this big heavy thing that goes bang?
Welcome @Christy4 !!

16 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

I remember hearing that the average person has to hear something five times before they retain it. It doesn’t get any better as you get older.

5 Likes

That could happen to anyone. The phrase “pull the trigger” is perhaps something the unitiated don’t know the definition to.

As you work through the protector academy, you may notice instructors in there literally showing their finger on the trigger while they explain these things, usually with a SIRT pistol, but sometimes with a confirmed-cleared real firearm.

In some contexts, even men talking to mean and they all know how to shoot, saying “pull the trigger” might mean to release the trigger also, I can personally think of examples I’ve been in, with instructors, were the phrase “pull the trigger” meant with release. Now, I might surmise that “hold it there” changes what “pull the trigger” means, but I might not.

You also have to worry about what I call unclear pronouns. Which is exactly what it sounds like. In this case, the word “it” might be an unclear pronoun. Hold what, where?

“Press the trigger all the way to the rear, and then hold the trigger to the rear immediately after pressing” might be less easily misunderstood

And if you have a SIRT pistol, or even just pantomime your finger in mid air, to show after telling, that can help too

2 Likes

From a few personal experiences I have had training women, the vast majority of the ones that absolutely refuse male instruction is because they have been in a position in their life where a man with a gun had power over them.

Abusive relationships, rape survivors, et al. They are still processing their traumatic experience and seeing a strong male figure with a gun yelling instruction may trigger their flight response. They are seeking female empowerment from other females that have been in similar situations as a victim, and have processed and delt with their trauma and through empowerment have come out the otherside of that trauma. Over time and a fair bit of practice and repeated exposure to men with firearms not being dickheads to them many in this situation come back around to co-ed instruction, but many need that first all female empowerment to regain their own personal power BEFORE being comfortable in a possibly dangerous co-ed environment where they may have to take yelled orders from a man on a loud fireing line.

you have no idea the lives, experiences and trauma people have faced in their own personal lives. Be kind and have respect until disrespect is earned.

5 Likes

I think it just takes the first four times just to get their attention.

When people ask me what firearm they should buy I tell them it is a highly personal choice. What is good for one may not be for another. Find a firearm that meets your needs and you are comfortable with. Same goes for picking out instructors.

4 Likes

That is a wonderful poignant observation Wanda, BRAVO. When I helped some Ladies escape from a bad situation I took a few of them to the range in NYC back in the day (Post War for me) My PTSD (hearing Gun fire again) would make me sweat profusely. They GOT THAT! It clicked somewhere inside them. And we all hunkered down and taught each other how to deal and learn TOGETHER.
No one is same same and we have to teach each person on their merits and fears and phobias.
THAT MAKES A GREAT TEACHER and a BETTER STUDENT.
(my opinion only)
And POO Poo to the POO POO…um…er’s!

WWG1WGA

6 Likes

Normally my classes are mixture of men and women. That’s not accidental as I price the classes to be less expensive per person if couples sign up. I believe both members of the household should have firearms familiarity even if one chooses not to carry. I try to make sure that the men in the class don’t become “know-it-all” or otherwise “macho.” I did a class for my son and a bunch of his friends—late 30’s and early 40’s. Afterwards, my daughter-in-law asked if I would do a class for the wives of the guys. She said the women felt less intimidated without their husbands there and knew I wouldn’t be condescending. In my experience, the women in the class listen better, ask better questions, and follow my directions better. Hope that helps.

6 Likes

When I wanted to learn to shoot 15 years ago, my only option was male instructors. I got used to it because I was obsessed with learning. Lots of training and always with men. Never minded. Was the only lady participating in IDPA for a long time. Became an RSO at the range. Sometimes I think girls just like to “pack” together. They tend to be more social. I think that is why they join A Girl & A Gun or Well Armed Women. I’m in both. lol. But I feel less judged by the men instructors. My only suggestion for the men instructors is not to assume women should start with a ‘large’ gun, like a 45. Start with a 22 so they get used to the mechanics. Women generally need a gun they are very comfortable using, fits their hands, easy to rack. Otherwise they are intimidated and will never love to shoot. They can move on once they gain confidence. I had that experience when I wanted a motorcycle. The men, including husband, all wanted me to get a Harley. I did. Sorry, I wanted my feet on the ground. It was too heavy to lean when still, loud, vibrated. Got a BMW. Loved it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have seen this too. The biggest challenge is some of the male recerts. Bad habits are hard to overcome.

6 Likes

I have taken two neighbors to the range and taught some basics. Two of them were women and they did just fine.

7 Likes

Excellent! The more we get informed and educated and trained up, the better off everybody is.

Welcome aboard

5 Likes

Welcome to the family @Neil32 and we are happy you joined us.

2 Likes