Marine Corps Eliminating the Scout Sniper Platoons

I can understand getting rid of some heavy tanks if your goal is to make a more nimble island hopping force. Especially given the vulnerabilities of tanks on the modern battle field as evidenced in Ukraine. But getting rid of elite snipers makes no sense to me.

4 Likes

If that’s not bad enough, the Air Force is making noises about junking the Warthog again. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Okay, lets look at the tactical part of these accounts of ending of operational equipment or groups.
1, With heat sensing equipment how good can a sniper hide? How well can a sniper hide with drones in the air? The craft is a good thing IF the shooter remains to be hidden but if a shot is fired and a sniper is known to be out there a simple drone with the right Lense will find them out.
2. Tanks are very expensive to operate and maintain. Tanks can be destroyed with missiles as it has been seen in Ukraine. The practicality of this piece of equipment has become unpractical especially financially.
3. With enlistments on the decline and the different branches reducing in size, things will be adjusted where they find it to be most practical.

This is what I have come up with.

2 Likes

1, With heat sensing equipment how good can a sniper hide? How well can a sniper hide with drones in the air?

With all the state-of-the-art weapons we left in Afghanistan, I could see where that might be an issue.

1 Like

I always thought that was rule#1 not forty

1 Like

@Donald16 I thought there were only 33. :thinking:

3 Likes

One good little EMP solves alot :us:

As you all know, there has been a big push to transition away from the War on Terror and rebuild the armed forces for potential conflict with near-peer adversaries. Every military branch is undergoing major changes, because the last two decades we’ve been focused on fighting small bands of terrorists hiding in the mountains.

USMC, from what I’ve read, is committed to returning to its roots as the Navy’s infantry. If I had to hazard a guess, this change is part of that process, although I’m not sure how it all fits together and what the vision is for the Corps when they’re done.

They think war is remote control and drones. They also don’t want a patriot that could take out a treasonous ******* at a 1000 +yards.

2 Likes

In further news from the Marine Corps’ own website, they have been unable to fix the problems with the new Amtrac turning turtle in anything but a gentle surf, so they are going to spend an estimated hahahahah $25 million to teach Marines how to exit the turtled Amtrac. “Gee, Sarge, can I have an inner tube to swim in to the beach instead of riding in that death trap?”

There are all kinds of ways to conceal a sniper team. The military is rapidly trying to equip all grunts with shot suppressors. At a minimum snipers should be the first ones to get such equipment. The Russkies are reportedly using those el cheapo mylar blankets to hide from heat seeking drones. Maybe we could spend a couple of bucks on developing something just a tad niftier than a $2.98 mylar blanket for the Dollar Store for our troops to conceal from heat seeking drones. And the problem with drones vs. tanks can easily be solved with technology. Every drone is not a stealth drone. a 120 mm round loaded with steel OOOO buck or larger should be a pretty effective anti drone measure for a tank. And I am by no means a cutting edge exotic weapons expert. Yeah, tanks are expensive but combined with infantry, they make great urban assault weapons. The Russkies made tactical movement mistakes. Tankers no longer string their tanks out in a nice long line on the only road through the wheat fields so that a Warthog can just fly down the miles long fat target of opportunity, just sitting there waiting to be hit with Hellfires and depleted uranium shells. That’s why they suffered the massive tank losses. they still believe in the massed frontal assault. That went out of style after the slaughter in WWI.

They got away with it against the Nazis because Hitler was running the war from his bunker in Berlin and issued stupid orders. He evidently only got his rank as a corporal in WWI because they were hard up for junior NCOs. He certainly was not any kind of officer material.

3 Likes

Have a read here,

1 Like

And here:

https://www.marines.mil/Force-Design-2030/

1 Like

Yeah, they have already sent a half-trained Marine Littoral Unit to Taiwan. Reminds me of our deployment to Taiwan in 58-59. We had a reinforced Marine rifle company to defend the Marine Air Group deployed to that island. I know Marines are bad-assed but 150 Marines against a quarter million Chinese is really bad odds. Three Marines just got their asses kicked by 40 teen-agers in Oceanside. Numbers do count. I don’t care how skilled they are, a stripped-down regiment cannot handle a quarter million or more Chinese. No artillery; no tanks; no heavy mortars, Good Luck guys. At the time I didn’t realize why but all NCOs IN MAG 11, the unit sent to Taiwan, were instructed and licensed to operate all the wheeled vehicles we had. That was so that when bugging out if the regular truck driver got taken out I could take over driving the six-by. I’m just glad I served back then and not now. I think Berger got CMC due to his continued use of self-constructed acronyms and not any display of actual combat skills.

3 Likes

sadly the reports are the current commandant of the corps SEEMS to be destroying the corps…

find myself wondering if he’s on someones payroll???

3 Likes