Low Profile Electronic Ear Pro

I tried to look though other threads on this topic and didn’t find an answer.

I’m looking for a pair of electronic ear muffs, preferably with Bluetooth, that don’t interfere with shouldering a rifle. I have a pair of Walker razors and I still bump them enough to let noise in and that’s just not much fun when shooting 5.56 especially. Any recommendations on ear muffs specifically?

3 Likes

Look on Amazon, lots of options. :slightly_smiling_face:

Amazon.com : Caldwell E-Max Shadows FDE 23 Decibels NRR - Electronic Hearing Protection with Bluetooth Connectivity for Shooting, Hunting, and Range, Brown : Sports & Outdoors

5 Likes

I have the Walker silencer 2.0. they have Bluetooth and work better than the Razor imo

2 Likes
3 Likes

Do you have those Nathan? I had read that the dB reduction wasnt very good. That cutout at the bottom is prett minimalist and seems like it would stay out of the way.

2 Likes

I do.

The dB reduction isn’t very good. NRR is 18.

That’s the tradeoff you necessarily take when going with small and thin earmuffs.

Double up over plugs for indoors or rifles

4 Likes

I’ve got AXIL electronic earplugs (GS Extreme). They work pretty good once you figure out the right size foam piece and getting them inserted properly. Although I have had a few instances of kinda reshaping my inner ear when shouldering a shotgun, allowing some of the sound to get past the foam. If I was target shooting with a rifle, they’d work great. But if you’re repeatedly shouldering and shooting, you’d probably want their custom molded option. I just use the foam that you smash down and it expands inside your ear.

I will say that they are great for extended time at the range. I also have Howard Leight Impact muffs and the pressure from the muffs on the sides of the glasses was giving me a headache if I was training for a couple hours or more. And they happen to be 50% off right now.

2 Likes

I’ve been running Walkers Silencer 2.0 with Bluetooth for 3 months now and I’m in love with these things. Rechargeable and I just keep them plugged in the Jeep so they are always ready. Does not get any more low profile than these and paired with my iPhone and listening to AC-DC while I run-n-gun is a big plus :sunglasses:

BTW they are on sale at Midway for $149. Great deal!

5 Likes

May I suggest Chopin as a music alternative while shooting? :rofl:

The foam parts look similar to what comes with AXIL. Have you tried them with long guns? I haven’t had issues when I’m doing precision/target rifle (i.e. slower pace, get a good cheek weld, breath, shoot). Or if I’ve already shouldered my shotgun before the clay is thrown. But when doing a more rapid, “Pull!”, then shoulder & shoot, I’d occasionally get some leakage while I was getting that cheek weld. I’ve switched back to muffs when I’m doing more rapid shoulder & shoot with long guns. But I love them for everything else, especially during summer or when I’m at the range for a longer duration of time.

2 Likes

How well do these work in an indoor range? Do they have suitable noise reduction?

3 Likes

Side note: I’m not a fan of the lack of situation awareness that seems unavoidable if one listens to music while handling/shooting a firearm around other people handling/shooting firearms (and possibly issuing range commands or ceasefires)

1 Like

When I’m in run-n-gun mode I have the range to myself. Otherwise I’m either teaching or shooting with others so no music.

2 Likes

I was just training someone in an indoor range with two ARs and a shotgun being discharged by me. Not ideal but I was fine. Normal indoor shooting, no issues.

4 Likes

Chopin is good for precision work. I need Thundestruck for John Wick speeds :rofl:.

Once I found the right size foam for my ear canal I’ve had no issues with leakage. They are glued to my ear canals. Yesterday I had them on while playing with a full auto MP5 and while an M60 was being shot full auto next to me. All good :+1:

4 Likes

I don’t normally play music when I wear mine. But when I first got 'em, I had to try it out. I was surprised by the clarity of also hearing everything around me. I didn’t have the music cranked up to 11. But it was just like having music in the background while still being able to have a conversation with someone, without yelling, and also hearing the sound of brass hitting the ground. If you’re listening to the music at a reasonable volume, there’s no issue whatsoever with hearing range commands and everything else that’s going on around you.

1 Like